Author Topic: 3Com 3C905 - driver which works with high IRQs?  (Read 7620 times)

Andi B.

• View Profile
3Com 3C905 - driver which works with high IRQs?
« on: March 14, 2015, 11:33:52 am »
The EL90X.OS2 I've with eCS2.2 can not handle IRQ17. Anyone knows if there exist a driver for this card which can work with high IRQs?

In fact I got the driver loading and working with the debug kernel and manually changing registers at the point where the driver traps. But I do not want to patch registers every reboot :)

OS4User

• View Profile
Re: 3Com 3C905 - driver which works with high IRQs?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 08:49:09 pm »
try to make binary patch to it

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 11:47:03 pm »
The EL90X.OS2 I've with eCS2.2 can not handle IRQ17. Anyone knows if there exist a driver for this card which can work with high IRQs?

In fact I got the driver loading and working with the debug kernel and manually changing registers at the point where the driver traps. But I do not want to patch registers every reboot :)

Did Genmac not have support for the 3com model ?

Roderick

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 11:11:51 am »
Did Genmac not have support for the 3com model ?
I don't know. But in my special case this most probably will not help. The main reason why I wanted to get these 3Com working is cause ICAT needs minutes until it connects to this box with the integrated Realtek chip. I tested UDP performance with netio and results are terrible slow with Realtek. I tried for days with different window size settings in inetcfg.ini. But couldn't get satisfactory performance. So I put in an extra NIC which I've laying around to test ICAT with this.

Putting Genmac into this setup is surely not the best idea as pretty sure it is not optimized for UDP and kernel debugger. I'll buy an Intel PCIe NIC and see if it works better then.

Thx

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 05:46:26 pm »
I tested UDP performance with netio and results are terrible slow with Realtek.

I found that too. I am not sure if it is a NETIO problem, a driver problem, or an hardware problem. Most things seems to work pretty well (using the Multimac driver). I do find that overall, the Realtek runs slower than either NVIDIA or Intel NICs. NVIDIA seems to do a LOT better with UDP than the other two, which don't like it at all.

The EL90X.OS2 I've with eCS2.2 can not handle IRQ17.

I have no experience with those, but I would suggest that if it works, don't worry about using ACPI.PSD with the /VW parameter (I am assuming that you use ACPI). I doubt if it will make any performance difference.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 01:13:34 am »
Same driver file here, details below:

6-29-01  11:31a     52559           0  el90x.os2

...inside the driver I find the following sig:

3Com Etherlink PCI  OS/2 NDIS driver v5.2.4

Anyways...this was always working correctly in my system, I literally just pulled the NIC since I got the built-in RealTek stuff working fine.

My 3Com nic is: 3C905B-TXNM, 3COM NIC card, Fast Etherlink XL PCI 10/100 Mb.