WebSite Information > Article Discussions

Preview: eComStation 2.2 Beta, the legacy of OS/2 lives on

(1/5) > >>

Sigurd Fastenrath:
Is that the announced "testing of a 'big' comupter magazine"?

I guess the main point might be this one:

Zitat: "To wrap this all up nicely, eComStation is an excellent business
solution for those stuck in legacy land, "

In my opinion:

Ups:
- there is at least one review of ecomstation

Downs:
"it compare well with against (!) Linux and Windows " (must be joking for
someone not familiar with OS) but no mention of:
- No WLAN support
- No bluetooth support
- No USB 3.0 support
- No ivP6 support
- No working suspense/resume support
- still weak USB 2.0 support
- Panorama is faster than before but still....
- it is still better to use APM instead of ACPi on older (legay hardware),
especially on Thinkpads up to "60
- The new icon set of ecomstation.ru - hopefully this can be changed in the
usual way :-(

This might sound very negative but I think it is better to tell people what is
possible and what not.

The old story: why not writing:

"eComStation works well, but only on selected hardware".

:-\

:-(

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Sigurd.

I want to take your comment more like a "reality check" than "pessimism".

Please notice that in the past OS/2 had been very aggressively hit by the press. They always say "OS/2 is a superior product but...". Or what happens today, that we have no press at all (since we are a non-relevant platform).

Now, I don't care if someone write a positive article about eComStation. But we need to focus on the positive things about eComStation and fight/help/support/suggest/chip in for the stuff that is missing.  So, I don't think it is bad for us that someone write a positive article about eCS.

I'm glad that we are going to have a new eComStation release, I can put all the negative points on the table, I can still complain about the long term strategy, but today I'm glad that we are going to have a new release. 

Regards

eirik:
Sigurd and Martin (and others),

I agree wholeheartedly with Martin on this.  A new release that tightens things up and is tested for consistency also makes it easier for further developments of drivers and software.  Admittedly, there will still shortcomings with the new eCS, but so has all the other alternatives too.  If the alternatives did not have any shortcomings, we would have switched long ago.

Speaking for myself, eCS offers the user friendliness, reliability, and superior possibilities to design my working environment.  I am therefore thrilled about eCS 2.2 arriving shortly to offer even more.

Eirik

Sigurd Fastenrath:
Hi Martin,

My intention is to tell people what is possible and what not. If you use google translater I would like you to follow some discussions at os2.org about the following topics regarding ecomstation I did not mention:

- No response from Mensys if asked for support
- No response for postings at bugtracker

And that leads me to the old, so often (so often that I am tired of writing it but it is sadly proved so often...)written facts:

If there would have been the decission to concentrate on selected hardware (at least since 2006) what have lead to:

- a full supported selected hardware
- less hardware problems
- less questions
- less support needed
- less bugtracker entries
- less frustrated users

But -yes - lets be happy for waiting for the new release, but do not let people with no knowledge of this OS to expect that it will run out of the box and could compete with Linux or Windows - this will lead to much more frustrated users and bad press and will loose the last credit of what is left of OS/2............

guzzi:

--- Quote from: Sigurd Fastenrath on February 27, 2013, 08:02:40 pm ---Is that the announced "testing of a 'big' comupter magazine"?

- No WLAN support
No WLAN support? That's interesting. I've seen reports on the newsgroups from people using WLAN.....

- No bluetooth support
Indeed. Wonder how many users need it.

- No USB 3.0 support
No, and should be addressed.

- No ivP6 support
Not an issue for me, but that could be a showstopper for some, I think.

- No working suspense/resume support
Not true. It works on some hardware. So, limited support.

- still weak USB 2.0 support
Yes. But there has been a lot of progress.

- Panorama is faster than before but still...
- it is still better to use APM instead of ACPi on older (legay hardware),
especially on Thinkpads up to "60
So? APM was the de facto standard when that hardware was made.

- The new icon set of ecomstation.ru - hopefully this can be changed in the
usual way :-(
Just some cosmetics. I've never cared about that.

This might sound very negative but I think it is better to tell people what is
possible and what not.

The old story: why not writing:

"eComStation works well, but only on selected hardware".

Yes. And most people who buy it know that and select their hardware accordingly
 :-\

:-(

--- End quote ---

With regards to support, I have had direct support from Mensys, to full satisfaction. I do agree that the response to tickets isn't always what it should be.

I am still a -lot- happer with ecs then with the win 7 that runs on my notebook. Whenever I need the thing windows will either complain about 'low memory', needing a reboot to prevent the system become unstable or just be incredibly slow because it's doing yet another huge set of updates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version