OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Internet

Firefox Developer Edition 24.8.1b4

(1/4) > >>

Dave Yeo:
Hi I've uploaded https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr24/downloads/firefox-dev-24.8.1b4.en-US.os2.7
This is based on the same Gecko code as the Bitwise Firefox beta 4 release with the addition of libsydneyaudio to re-enable HTML5 sound.
This build should have fewer requirements then the Bitwise build, the mzfntcfgft package, libc066.dll and mmap.dll. I've also uploaded a build of mmap to https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr24/downloads/mmap.zip which does not have the gcc1.dll and stdcpp6.dll requirements.
Build is currently only lightly tested.

OS4User:
TNX, works fine for me

TeLLie:
Hi Dave,

I really appreciate that you build TB and SM, FF ..

But are not you afraid that this evokes precisely a DLL war ??

I'm afraid it will, but that's just my 2cents thought...

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---But are not you afraid that this evokes precisely a DLL war ??
--- End quote ---

What do you mean by that? Later DLL versions are supposed to be backward compatible, or they need a new name. If they are statically linked, the program uses what the programmer included. The "problem" is trying to determine what DLL version you have installed. The DLLs that come from the YUM project don't seem to have any BLDLEVEL information, so they can't be queried. YUM is supposed to keep a database of what it installs, but it looks like that can be messed up if something replaces the file, and it doesn't get recorded.

If you mean a war about how, the DLLs will get installed/updated, You need to pick your method. The developers seem to like RPM/YUM, some users like ZIP files, and others like WarpIn files. The user needs to pick one method, and stick to it. Mix and match is not a good idea. You do need to be very careful to install updates in the proper order, so you don't down level something. If WarpIn has the proper settings, it will ask before replacing a later version of a file. With ZIP files, you are on your own. Unfortunately, file date and time is no guarantee that that was when the file was created.

Andreas Schnellbacher:

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on March 16, 2015, 08:34:33 pm ---YUM is supposed to keep a database of what it installs, but it looks like that can be messed up if something replaces the file, and it doesn't get recorded.

--- End quote ---
Sure. All package distribution facilities rely on the assumption that they are the only ones that both edit the database and the files.

Imagine a tool that uninstalls a package controlled by the WarpIN database without letting WarpIN know about it. That would create the same mess. It's not RPM- or Yum-specific.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version