OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

PDF Printer

<< < (2/9) > >>

Pete:
Hi Martin

Yes, cups needs to be installed to the root of a drive - not necessarily C:

You may find this helpful http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,631.0.html

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I need and update on this thread since we are now on 2016.

I have eCS 2.2 and I noticed that Ghostscript, gutenpring and CUPS are available on the RPM repository.
I'm installing those packages from Arca Noae Package Manager (I just noticed a little conflict with Lars USBCALL.DLL that is newer and located on C:\OS2\DLL).

I want to know if you experienced any issue and if it is ok to delete the older software that came in eCS 2.2 (C:\cups, C:\gs, C:\gutenprint).

On the past CUPS needed to be on the root, did it changed now?

Regards

Pete:
Hi Martin

No idea.

Not being into the ANPM/yum/rpm scene I have not kept an eye on the cups version(s) that may be available from that source.

Is there not a readme somewhere in the package? - I guess installation instructions are not necessary though...

I would guess that installation within the "*nixy" directory structure would be the aim of the rpm releases though.

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo:
Bitwise has taken over CUPS and have been fixing/recompiling it for the UNIXROOT environment. I think they've done most of the basic stuff but really you should ask Sylvan.

Andi B.:
I've running the rpm cups 2.x.x, ghostscript, .... since a while. I never had installed gs or cups on c:\ but on my dedicated program partition p:. Anyway I moved out of the way the eCS/warping versions and all of Pauls gs versions I ever tried and cleaned up to use only rpm version which is btw. the first version which works reliable and satisfactory for my needs. My needs are printing mostly pdf files or parts from them via qpdfview to my postscript printer. This never worked reliable with big files before but with the latest rpm verison.

I've installed the ePDF package too and occasionally I create a pdf from applications. Currently with the rpm gs package. No problem so far but not tested very much.

All in all I would say you can get ride of all older gs/cups installations and simply use the rpm version. At least for me this works better than the version before I'm fighting with.

But I use PS printers connected via LAN only. YMMV with other types of printers or connections. Read I never tested the gutenprint or libusb part.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version