Author Topic: Media Servers for OS/2 ?  (Read 41967 times)

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
Media Servers for OS/2 ?
« on: April 01, 2015, 08:11:38 am »
I just moved all my files (DVDs / Torrents) to a eCS machine (RAID 2TB).

1) Could someone post their Mediatomb setup please or post any tips on the setup !
http://os2ports.smedley.id.au/index.php?page=mediatomb

2) Is any9one using Universal media server (Java 6 ) ? I got the Win version partially working with my iPad ! Universal Media Server is a media server capable of serving videos, audio and images to any DLNA-capable device.
http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

It would be a great addition to eCS, could the Linux version be ported to eCS ?

The comparison chart looks great
http://www.universalmediaserver.com/comparison/

Greggory
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:27:27 am by Greggory Shaw »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: Media Servers for OS/2 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:29:56 pm »
I currently use SAMBA server and/or FTPserver to transport media files to the iPad. Mediatomb sounds like a good thing, particularly if running under Java 6.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 05:34:07 pm »
1) Could someone post their Mediatomb setup please or post any tips on the setup !

It has been a few years since I set up Mediatomb. I don't remember that it was difficult. Just follow the directions. There would be no point in posting my setup, because it is extremely unlikely that your setup would be anything like mine. Basically, you just tell it what files/directories to expose. There is a better set of instructions at: http://mediatomb.cc/. I use "Set Autoscan" so I don't need to mess around with Mediatomb when I add new things.

I haven't used Mediatomb very much, but it has worked well, every time I tried it (never with anything but eCS and windows).

Mediatomb sounds like a good thing, particularly if running under Java 6.

Mediatomb is a native OS/2 program (ported from somewhere else). It is not JAVA. Access is through a web browser.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 05:55:52 pm »
Hi Doug, klipp here! How's it going? This is "off subject, sorry" but a couple of times recently you've mentioned about having sound working somewhat, in Virtualbox. When you've got some time available could you expound in a little more detail just how you accomplished that? I would like to mess with that a little.

thanks, klipp

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 07:09:40 pm »
1) Could someone post their Mediatomb setup please or post any tips on the setup ![/]

Mediatomb sounds like a good thing, particularly if running under Java 6.

Mediatomb is a native OS/2 program (ported from somewhere else). It is not JAVA. Access is through a web browser.

UMS in written in Java:
http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

Hi Neil I used Ftp too, but VLC for iOS removed the AC3 codec :(

And a course my Mkv files use AC3, hopefully I can get UMS to transcode them
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:17:06 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 03:03:31 am »
Hi Greggory

Judging by the fact that UMS is available for Windows, Linux and Mac I would guess that it is not pure java and relies on some "native" operating system support files for some functionality.

It also looks like java7 is required.

Regards

Pete

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 04:01:11 am »
Hi All

I've just been trying to get mediatomb running but have run into a problem:-

2015-04-02 02:37:41   ERROR: Could not create directory /mediatomb/home/.mediatomb : No such file or directory

The directory /mediatomb/home gets created but /mediatomb/home/.mediatomb does not

Manually creating the directory /mediatomb/home/.mediatomb does not resolve the problem; the above message is still displayed when trying to start mediatomb.

Any ideas how to resolve this problem?

Regards

Pete

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 04:15:03 am »
Hi Greggory

Judging by the fact that UMS is available for Windows, Linux and Mac I would guess that it is not pure java and relies on some "native" operating system support files for some functionality.

It also looks like java7 is required.

Regards

Pete

Sure ffmpeg, mplayer, memcode...  It runs on Java 6 I'm using it right now after replacing those files ! Is there a permanent way to odinize files ?

Move 'Mediatomb' to the root directory to get it running Pete and keep the home directory inside the Mediatomb directory.

Greggory
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:17:08 am by Greggory Shaw »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 06:02:07 am »
Sure ffmpeg, mplayer, memcode...  It runs on Java 6 I'm using it right now after replacing those files ! Is there a permanent way to odinize files ?

Shouldn't the OS/2 binaries be drop in replacements in the Windows version of Mediatomb? Perhaps with some PATH massaging.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 06:16:11 am »
Hi Doug, klipp here! How's it going? This is "off subject, sorry" but a couple of times recently you've mentioned about having sound working somewhat, in Virtualbox. When you've got some time available could you expound in a little more detail just how you accomplished that? I would like to mess with that a little.

thanks, klipp

I will do a quick summary here. If you wish to follow up, create a new thread, or join the Virtual  PC users mail list. From the messages:
Code: [Select]
To subscribe (new addresses), E-mail to: <virtualized_ecs_users-on@2rosenthals.com> and reply to the confirmation email.
Web archives are publicly available at: http://lists.2rosenthals.com

Sound works in VBox under Windows and Linux (probably also under Macs). It half works in VBox 1.6.1 OSE under OS/2. By "half" working, I mean that the virtual machine will "see" a sound card, but the sound is not passed on to the host sound system, so there is no sound. There are two virtual sound cards available. One is the old SoundBlaster 16, and the other is an AC97 (works with UniAud). Under windows host, eCS will configure either one, and it will make sounds, but I find that even under a powerful processor, the AC97 causes breaks in the sound (unusable). Using the SB16 works reasonably well. The same problem happens in WinXP guests. I really haven't tried other guests.

In the past, I got sound to work under Virtual PC 5.1 in OS/2, It has been some time since I tried that, but there is a parameter for the configuration program, that allows you to enable sound in the guest under OS/2. "TWEAKVPC" (no quotes), or something like that. There is a warning, somewhere, that doing that could cause problems because the feature is not finished. As I recall, that is probably true.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 07:15:58 am »

Shouldn't the OS/2 binaries be drop in replacements in the Windows version of Mediatomb? Perhaps with some PATH massaging.

Yes, that's what I did, but there's a couple that haven't been port to OS2 or I haven't found them yet. I would use Mediatomb, but I need it to transcode the audio in my Mkv files. I can't get the conf settings quite right in either one yet. There talk of VLC adding back AC3 as an buy option for the codec, so I'll probably just wait on that or buy infuse !

Funny side the app 'cloud browser' that I use to manage my command line linux server will play the Mkv files (poorly).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:39:44 am by Greggory Shaw »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 08:07:13 am »
Which programs do you need?
How to download UMS? I tried and got a small jar file,  wrapper.jar which I'm not sure what to do with.
BTW ac3 is kind of broken, at least in FFmeg (compression permanently turned on, plus in the last couple of weeks a few fixes for common crashes committed).

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 08:45:25 am »
Which programs do you need?
How to download UMS? I tried and got a small jar file,  wrapper.jar which I'm not sure what to do with.
BTW ac3 is kind of broken, at least in FFmeg (compression permanently turned on, plus in the last couple of weeks a few fixes for common crashes committed).

Hi Dave (I see ur name on a lot of ports - Thank you !!! ),

I installed the Windows version and copied to eCS - http://sourceforge.net/projects/unimediaserver/files/Official%20Releases/Windows/UMS-5.1.0-Java6.exe/download and copied the .BAT to a CMD startup file.  (Chromecast seem to be broken).

Homepage: http://www.universalmediaserver.com/  - download links for Linux & Mac there.

I need OS2 versions of:  tsMuxeR, tsMuxeR-new.exe(?), dcraw and avisynth(?) these are in the UMS windows version (these seem to be optional).

Dave I was wondering if you could take a quick look at the Linux version (http://www.universalmediaserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=33). Could it's non-java programs be easier to port ? Mediatomb is old, and UMS would be a great addition to eCS.

Major issues: playing mkv files with spaces in the path (i just finished removing the dots, LOL )?

Solution for me: mediatomb & infuse for ipad.

iPad:  'Infuse' for ipad is insane for playback with Media Servers !
If you stream to an ipad you must check this app out it blows away VLC or MPlayer for iOS !!! I'm telling you it connects to anything and plays anything!

OS/2: Mediatomb is fast and native (going to ask Paul about the transcoding issues), I think there's a lot of stuff hard coded like the home path & location of the main exe.

Note: having AC3 issues, use Seriio media server (no OS/2 version though Java 8 ) it streams my Mkv files /w AC3 to my ipad with no problems or buy the codec for Infuse !

Greggory
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:47:24 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 09:51:20 pm »
Hi Greggory

Move 'Mediatomb' to the root directory to get it running Pete and keep the home directory inside the Mediatomb directory.

Greggory

Interesting... Here the UMS download links look like this:-

http://sourceforge.net/projects/unimediaserver/files/Official%20Releases/Windows/UMS-5.1.0-Java7.exe/download

Ie they all mention Java7 - as do forum discussions about current UMS builds.

With regard to a "permanent way to odinize files" I seem to recall there was a utility supplied with early versions of Odin that was meant to do that job - cannot remember what it was called and do not remember anyone having success with it. Maybe that is why it is no longer included.

Putting mediatomb in the root of a drive resolves the problem "ERROR: Could not create directory /mediatomb/home/.mediatomb : No such file or directory" -  Thanks  :-)

Now, on to working out how to configure and use this software... All tips/experiences welcome.

Regards

Pete

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 10:32:05 pm »
Hi Greggory

Greggory

Interesting... Here the UMS download links look like this:-

http://sourceforge.net/projects/unimediaserver/files/Official%20Releases/Windows/UMS-5.1.0-Java7.exe/download

Ie they all mention Java7 - as do forum discussions about current UMS builds.

Now, on to working out how to configure and use this software... All tips/experiences welcome.

On the main page to the right of the 3 download options is an arrow, click on that for Java 6, 7, 8.

Here's Java 6
http://sourceforge.net/projects/unimediaserver/files/Official%20Releases/Windows/UMS-5.1.0-Java6.exe/download

Thx for the Odin info Pete ! I'm going to go over it this weekend, so I'll keep you posted.

One tip is to change the conf.xml for avi files, make sure this section looks like below. Without this only my Mkv files showed up and they don't work on my iPad, I was pissed til I found this, LOL

<!-- Uncomment the line below for PS3 divx support -->
        <map from="avi" to="video/divx"/>
        <!-- Uncomment the line below for D-Link DSM / ZyXEL DMA-1000 -->
        <map from="avi" to="video/avi"/>

Another tip is to use 'Infuse' video player on iPad if you hava an iPad/iPhone it's insane on the connection options !

Cheers

Greggory
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:43:09 pm by Greggory Shaw »