Author Topic: Yum issue  (Read 10285 times)

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
Yum issue
« on: April 14, 2015, 05:12:29 pm »
Why would yum return:
Error: no such table: packages

It does this no matter what is entered. It has worked in the past.

It will do it with any command like:
yum update *

thanks

guzzi

• View Profile
Re: Yum issue
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 09:24:35 pm »
Try yum clean all

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 10:40:38 pm »
Thanks guzzi.

Not a complete fix but did get further.

here is what I get:

[C:\]yum list all
netlabs-rel          | 2.9 kB  00:00
netlabs-rel/primary_ | 654 kB  00:02     = ] 166 kB/s | 631 kB  00:00 ETA

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/@unixroot/var/cache/yum/netlabs-rel/7af6d
d4310a296b95a23ef2735f994aed509578f28087cbf99b29a4919f3c072-primary.sqlite.bz2'

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 11:41:43 am »
I've seen this on multiple systems, and it's caused by the latest update to the GCC (and/or LIBC?) DLLs. Specifically, while the new DLL naming logic is apparently backwards compatible with old applications, it breaks if you have old GCC* DLLs in the LIBPATH.

Update your LIBPATH to move %UNIXROOT%\usr\lib to or near the front (especially move it before \ecs\dll or anywhere else that old GCC*.DLL and LIBC*.DLL might exist) and reboot.

Longer-term, try to seek out and remove all other GCC*.DLL and LIBC*.DLL from your system except for those in %UNIXROOT%\usr\lib.

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 03:19:20 pm »
Thanks Alex.

It was the LIBPATH statement.

After that yum started working again without problems.

I put the path after the ;.; so it would not override a dll in the current directory.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 05:40:47 pm »
I put the path after the ;.; so it would not override a dll in the current directory.

That is probably a mistake. If you have an old copy of a DLL in a program directory, and you happen to start that program first, you will load the old DLL. That program will probably work fine. Now, if you start another program that requires a newer version of that DLL, it might not work because the older version is already loaded. That can get really confusing because if you start the program that requires the newer DLL first, both programs will work because the newer DLL will be loaded.

It is important to eliminate ALL down level duplicate DLLs, everywhere on your system, if there is any possibility that they will be used by something. When you use RPM/YUM, it is ASSUMED that the ONLY copy will be the one that YUM controls. Therefore, the .; entry should be second, to reduce the possibility of using the wrong DLL (it is still not impossible). The .; entry should only be used for program specific DLLs, and those should only be in the program directory, and there should be no duplicates, so it shouldn't matter where the .; entry is located in the LIBPATH statement, other than to reduce the time required to find it.

Note that some programmers have INCORRECTLY included DLLs in their packages, thinking that they are helping the user. The end result is duplicate DLLs, at different levels, and much confusion. The most common seem to be PTHREAD.DLL, and MMAP.DLL, but there are others.

I will also mention that QT programs store information about DLLs (and other things) in %HOME%\.config\Trolltech.ini. If you move a program, or a DLL, QT programs can quit working because the entry is now wrong. The fix is to delete the %HOME%\.config\Trolltech.ini file. It will be rebuilt. That "feature" has caused problems, for me, more than once. I haven't done it, yet, but I am going to simply delete it at every boot, if it causes me trouble one more time. Apparently, it will cause QT programs to take a fraction of a second longer to start, but I can live with that, while the complications can be a PITA, usually at a very inconvenient time.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 02:23:33 pm »
Hi

Is this error also common?

[C:\]yum update
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\TMP\YUMBT\USR\BIN\YUM", line 29, in <module>
    yummain.user_main(sys.argv[1:], exit_code=True)
  File "/@unixroot/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 288, in user_main
    errcode = main(args)
  File "/@unixroot/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 98, in main
    base.getOptionsConfig(args)
  File "/@unixroot/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 253, in getOptionsConfig
    (opts, self.cmds) = self.optparser.setupYumConfig(args=args)
  File "/@unixroot/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 1599, in setupYumConfig
    self.base.setupKeyImportCallbacks()
  File "/@unixroot/usr/share/yum-cli/output.py", line 1225, in setupKeyImportCal
lbacks
    gpgca_import_func = self.getCAKeyForRepo
AttributeError: 'YumBaseCli' object has no attribute 'getCAKeyForRepo'

Any ideas?. I tried yum check and it is not working.
rpm --rebuilddb is also not helping.

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.