Author Topic: What's your WPS setup ?  (Read 13424 times)

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
What's your WPS setup ?
« on: April 19, 2015, 01:34:29 pm »
I'm re-doing three eCS boxes from server to desktop. What are some of your programs, setups & tips that you use ?

Does anyone have some great icons ?

Here's some of what I do:

04/14/2015
===========
- changed ugly ass background
- turned off drag sounds, added borg.wav re-worked startup
- installed desktop wizard
- csorted CONFIG.SYS
- installed AEFS

- turned on desktop archives - 1/day x 3
- restarted wps, created 1st archive

- installed ba2ksv410.zip
- setup daily backups for C, D M H U

- added E:\Programs\Extras\bin, E:\Programs\Extras\lib, U:\USR\LOCAL\VLC2\LIB;

- installed MediaPack v008, default player
- installed mplayer-1.1.1-4.4.6.zip

- updated yum
- installed openoffice

- installed Ampos2 > 2.29 > 5.11
- installed FtpServer

- installed Filestar, FM/2
- installed Clamav, GUI
- installed VirtualPC

04/15/2015
===========
- installed stlr175.zip
- installed nice-os2-v568.zip
- installed xwp-2.unofficial-1-0-10.zip
- installed xsystray-0_1_1.wpi
- installed lswitcher-2-81.wpi

- changed icon set

- installed bubblepad_v108.zip
- installed ObjectDesktop

04/16/2015
===========
- installed cdrecord-2_00_os2.zip
- audiocdcreator_057Pre1.zip

- installed so.wpi
- installed isofs103.zip
- installed ramfs121.zip

- installed FirefoxDD-024b
- updated Firefox to 28.3b4

- installed system files
- installed utility files

- created Java folder & rexx re-create install
- created qt4 folder & new icons finally

04/18/2015
===========
- updated Samba client:

Commandline utilities Version 3.6.23-eCS 1.3.0-868
EVFSGUIVersion 2.5.RC7-[2014-11-14]

- installed Samba server
- updated Samba

OH, wow I just notice the purple text, LOL - the green on my monitor is out & it look grey not purple.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:14:09 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: What's your WPS setup ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 03:56:34 pm »
I developed Suntan Special for this purpose. When I build systems, either for sale or for my own use, I do a minimal install of eCS or OS/2, then zip it up. Then I run Suntan Special. It makes all the changes I've become accustomed to over the years in a single automated run (which can take a couple of hours, what with reboots and everything).

While my business selling Suntan Special and eCS preloaded systems has slowed in recent years, the industrial and commercial use has not. Setting up for an industrial application is different (hide everything on the desktop, or else run without a keyboard, mouse or monitor). I haven't done a new release of Suntan Special in a while, but it's useful enough to me that it's still getting updates.

http://www.blondeguy.com/suntan6.html
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 06:09:10 pm »
Hi Greggory

Looks like a reasonable choice although I have to say It is not to my taste - I will not bore you with the list of software that I would not install :-)

I do have to query the inclusion of BackAgain/2 although if you are only using it to backup drives of 2Gb or less I guess it makes sense. Maybe you should look at later backup apps that can handle larger than 2GB drives eg luckybackup, a qt app.

Regards

Pete

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 07:05:49 pm »
This is my desktop

Never understood why almost everyone has links/programs on the desktop, as soon as you start a program they are under the program and you can't see them, unless you have real estate to spare.

Regards,
Joop

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 07:48:14 pm »
Hi Greggory,

What do you class as 'great icons'?  As far as I am concerned an icon only needs to be functional.

We have a standard desktop for all our machines with most of them having 16:10 (1920x1200) monitors - the only odd one out is the one we use for testing anything new.

Out of curiosity, why did you go for the dismal black background?  I know a lot of the kids think it is 'cool', I think it is depressing but that is me and my staff.

As for installed programs, what you install won't be what we install.  Everyone has their own needs, and ideas, as well as situation - we are a business that has to support ourselves and our clients in engineering which is very different from a home user and also from someone using OS/2 in an office.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:28:14 pm »
Hi Pete, yes C, D M H U are all 2GB they backup in about 30sec & rsync to my owncloud !

C: production, D beta testing, M mainteance, H finance & personal (AEFS), U yum & ports

I definitely recommend BA/2 and I may have looked over most backup solution :) http://os2notes.net/os2backups.html

I don't use LuckyBackup, I use RsyncBackup - http://os2notes.net/os2rsync.html - it does timed local, network & cloud backups.

Hi Joop, I use to do the same thing that you do, but yes it's a widescreen monitor so may as well use it. (Also I started using hot keys for just about everything too ). Oh, and I use the right click and browser folder contents from XWP option. If you just use the X button it adds three or more click to get to where you want to be.

Hi Ivan, what's the IRQ widget you are using ?

Well the green is out on my monitor so the background looks light gray not black & a course the purple text for shadows also looks gray. So, I was really surprised at the actual colors when I posted the screenshot, LOL - and to lazy to correct & upload it again.

Great Icons any with uniformity ! My desktop & the main programs folder & file types are a png set.

Almost all of the qt & java apps have terrible icons (the mono is temp), so I'm replacing them with png (lots of time with looking up the ID handles & assigning them custom icons).

Yes, "Everyone has their own needs, and ideas, as well as situation",  that's why I'm asking what others are doing ! And the question I asked was poorly worded. I was more looking for backup, WPS enhancements, tips, and not really on the way each desktop looks like.

Thanks everyone !

Greggory

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:33:42 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 09:58:40 pm »
I developed Suntan Special for this purpose. When I build systems, either for sale or for my own use, I do a minimal install of eCS or OS/2, then zip it up. Then I run Suntan Special. It makes all the changes I've become accustomed to over the years in a single automated run (which can take a couple of hours, what with reboots and everything).

While my business selling Suntan Special and eCS preloaded systems has slowed in recent years, the industrial and commercial use has not. Setting up for an industrial application is different (hide everything on the desktop, or else run without a keyboard, mouse or monitor). I haven't done a new release of Suntan Special in a while, but it's useful enough to me that it's still getting updates.

http://www.blondeguy.com/suntan6.html

Hi Neil,

I would definitely recommend Suntan Special, since I have been trying to do something of the same thing for my static system & regular utilities (and all old programs that are not going to change).

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 11:23:45 pm »
Hi Greggory,

IRQMON11.zip on hobbes.

It sounds as if your monitor has a loose connection inside - we've seen a few if those.

The attached is of our java apps, I have a few more on our test machine.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 12:22:08 am »
Never understood why almost everyone has links/programs on the desktop, as soon as you start a program they are under the program and you can't see them, unless you have real estate to spare.
It's from Classic Mac OS, with its top-level menu bar and box-style windows. Mac users rarely maximized them.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 03:19:53 am »
Some new icons for eUtilities folder png & Qt 4 apps folder OS/2 icons just for something to default since qt4 apps icons are terrible, going to adding png icons later.

Lol, I was sure that the background was gray this time !

Thx, Ivan also I'll check out some of the Java apps showing that you posted.

Credit to David G for some of the icons !
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:51:42 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 03:28:36 am »
Hi Greggory,

IRQMON11.zip on hobbes....

Hi Ivan,

But are you using this with a multi-core CPU? Either ACPI or OS2APIC....

I ask b/c the multi-core CPU/SMP setups and the old IRQ monitor (SEDEV=SHOWIDT.SYS) are a problem...never been able to get it working here.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 08:42:44 am »
I ask b/c the multi-core CPU/SMP setups and the old IRQ monitor (SEDEV=SHOWIDT.SYS) are a problem...never been able to get it working here.
Had it working here for years with my Dual-Core. Not tested on the Quad-Core though. AFAIR only IRQs up to 15 are displayed. So not much use anymore when ACPI reroutes some hardware to high IRQs.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 10:28:14 am »
Works without problems on our quadcore AMD processors using OS2APIC.

I noticed there is a version on the os4 kernel site but what that needs to run and if it shows the high IRQs I don't know.