OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Multimedia

[Uniaud] No sound even if audio card is recognized

(1/4) > >>

Mentore:
Hello all, I made some experiments but I'm stuck. Here's the situation:

I have an eCS 2.1 UK edition, which is working really nice (even if Firefox is a little less performing and stable than the Windows version - but I greatly praise the developers of the OS/2 version!).

I would like to use this machine also for audio editing, other than porting software (in fact, I'd like to try and port Audacity), but currently I have no sound at all. The uniinfo test program reports, for ALSA helper:

00-00: ALC662 rev1 Analog : ALC662 rev1 Analog
 : playback 1
 : capture 1

00-01: ALC662 rev1 Digital : ALC662 rev1 Digital

OSS32_Initialize: SUCCESS. Cards=1

But, trying to set the output volume:

U16: MixerSetVolume: OSS16_MixSetVolume failed!!

This is the uniaud.dll card info:

id: Intel
  driver: HDA-Intel
  name: HDA Intel
  longname: HDA Intel at 0xfeaf8000 irq 16
  mixer: Realtek ALC662 rev1
  componenets: HDA:10ec0662,18493662,00100101

So it's an HDA audio card with ALC662 mixer. I'm using the latest ACPI on a dual core Intel CPU, ASRock motherboard.

I tried to take a look into the compatibility grid from Netlabs, but even trying multiple versions of Uniaud, I still can't get no sound. This is becoming sad... My eCS machine is way faster than the WinXP laptop I'm using for these works (plus, I love WPS).

Of course one solution would be disabling the onboard audio card and getting something else on a PCI slot, but I'd prefer not to add cards if unnecessary.

I hope someone will point me in the right direction, because I'm currently stuck. Thanks in advance!

Mentore

Pete:
Hi Mentore

If System Sounds are not working make sure that there is a sound scheme selected - for some reason that setting seems to simply disappear every now and again to be replaced by <none> on my eCS2.1 system.

If that does not help I would guess that the problem is either no output volume or output is not enabled.

Try running this command:-

unimix -list > mixer.txt

Then open mixer.txt in an editor and look for the following Controls:-

[Master Playback Switch] - make sure it is On ie Value 1

[Master Playback Volume] - make sure it has a value (much) greater than 0; set it to max (probably 64) to make sure

You need to use unimix to set the values eg:-

unimix -id[whatever the id number of the control is] -val[value to set control to] -cnt[count value of the control to change]

Running this command will save the unimix "help" into a text file:-

unimix > unimix.txt

Hope the above is of some help

Regards

Pete

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: Mentore on April 27, 2015, 07:36:43 pm ---Hello all, I made some experiments but I'm stuck. Here's the situation:

I have an eCS 2.1 UK edition, which is working really nice (even if Firefox is a little less performing and stable than the Windows version - but I greatly praise the developers of the OS/2 version!).

I would like to use this machine also for audio editing, other than porting software (in fact, I'd like to try and port Audacity), but currently I have no sound at all. The uniinfo test program reports, for ALSA helper:

00-00: ALC662 rev1 Analog : ALC662 rev1 Analog

00-01: ALC662 rev1 Digital : ALC662 rev1 Digital

OSS32_Initialize: SUCCESS. Cards=1

But, trying to set the output volume:

U16: MixerSetVolume: OSS16_MixSetVolume failed!!

This is the uniaud.dll card info:

id: Intel
  driver: HDA-Intel
  name: HDA Intel
  longname: HDA Intel at 0xfeaf8000 irq 16
  mixer: Realtek ALC662 rev1
  componenets: HDA:10ec0662,18493662,00100101

So it's an HDA audio card with ALC662 mixer. I'm using the latest ACPI on a dual core Intel CPU, ASRock motherboard.

I tried to take a look into the compatibility grid from Netlabs, but even trying multiple versions of Uniaud, I still can't get no sound. This is becoming sad... My eCS machine is way faster than the WinXP laptop I'm using for these works (plus, I love WPS).

Of course one solution would be disabling the onboard audio card and getting something else on a PCI slot, but I'd prefer not to add cards if unnecessary.

I hope someone will point me in the right direction, because I'm currently stuck. Thanks in advance!

Mentore

--- End quote ---

Pete kind of wrote what I wanted to write. Uniaud was mentioned by David Azarewicz from Arca Noae in his Warpstock 2014 presentation he gave last year. (Can be found on www.warpstock.org). Their is also a video on youtube.com of his presentation what Arca Noae is working on.

It seems the main issue is that its difficult to sync the current Alsa Linux code with the OS/2 UNIAUD32 code.
What I do still know from time at Mensys is that more audio chipsets, UNIAUD loaded but the mixer was simply not setup correctly. The wiring is different per mainboard. I have also seen Linux systems run into the same problem.

I understood its quit a job to clean out the UNIAUD code after all does years, so the Alsa code can be dropped in and compiled.

Roderick Klein
President OS/2 VOICE

Mentore:

--- Quote from: Pete on April 27, 2015, 08:38:03 pm ---Hi Mentore

If System Sounds are not working make sure that there is a sound scheme selected - for some reason that setting seems to simply disappear every now and again to be replaced by <none> on my eCS2.1 system.

If that does not help I would guess that the problem is either no output volume or output is not enabled.

--- End quote ---

I'm currently not using system sounds - I disable them even in my other machines because they bother me a little.

Playing with unimix options on Uniaud 1.09.06 I tried the powerget option and got

[D:\]unimix -powerget
Command line mixer for UNIAUD32. Version 1.1
Detected UNIAUD version 2.02.01
Detected 1 audio adapter(s)
Getting power state for adapter 0: ...power state=0

I tried to use the powerset option and got this:

[D:\]unimix -powerset1
Detected 1 audio adapter(s)
Setting power state for adapter 0: 0...Success

I don't know anything about these two options, but I might think that power state 0 means audio card is shut down or something... And that I can't enable it. Am I right? If this is correct, I'm afraid the only solution will be to take back my some of my old PCI audio cards (I don't remember if I have one spare, though) or buy one recognized by Uniaud.

Mentore

Pete:
Hi Mentore

I just tried unimix -powerget:-

[H:\MMOS2]unimix -powerget
Command line mixer for UNIAUD. Version 0.05
Copyright 2004,2005 by Netlabs.org
Written by Vlad Stelmahosky aka Vladest
Detected UNIAUD version 1.92
Detected 2 audio adapter(s)
power state: 0

[H:\MMOS2]

If power state: 0 is "Off" why do I have system sounds, audio playback from media players and seamonkey plugins?

I notice that we are using differnet builds of uniaud and unimix - I must get around to updating sometime.

I also notice that you are using a different uniaud to the build you thought you were using:-

--- Quote from: Mentore on April 29, 2015, 10:09:41 pm ---Playing with unimix options on Uniaud 1.09.06 I tried the powerget option and got

[D:\]unimix -powerget

--- End quote ---

I suggest checking that you have the correct \mmos2\dll\uniaud.dll to go with the installed build of uniaud as a mis-match could cause problems.

Have you got a list of mixer controls and checked if the required switches are enabled and volume levels set?

Regards

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version