Author Topic: [Uniaud] No sound even if audio card is recognized  (Read 24857 times)

Mentore

• View Profile
[Uniaud] No sound even if audio card is recognized
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:36:43 pm »
Hello all, I made some experiments but I'm stuck. Here's the situation:

I have an eCS 2.1 UK edition, which is working really nice (even if Firefox is a little less performing and stable than the Windows version - but I greatly praise the developers of the OS/2 version!).

I would like to use this machine also for audio editing, other than porting software (in fact, I'd like to try and port Audacity), but currently I have no sound at all. The uniinfo test program reports, for ALSA helper:

00-00: ALC662 rev1 Analog : ALC662 rev1 Analog
 : playback 1
 : capture 1

00-01: ALC662 rev1 Digital : ALC662 rev1 Digital

OSS32_Initialize: SUCCESS. Cards=1

But, trying to set the output volume:

U16: MixerSetVolume: OSS16_MixSetVolume failed!!

This is the uniaud.dll card info:

id: Intel
  driver: HDA-Intel
  name: HDA Intel
  longname: HDA Intel at 0xfeaf8000 irq 16
  mixer: Realtek ALC662 rev1
  componenets: HDA:10ec0662,18493662,00100101

So it's an HDA audio card with ALC662 mixer. I'm using the latest ACPI on a dual core Intel CPU, ASRock motherboard.

I tried to take a look into the compatibility grid from Netlabs, but even trying multiple versions of Uniaud, I still can't get no sound. This is becoming sad... My eCS machine is way faster than the WinXP laptop I'm using for these works (plus, I love WPS).

Of course one solution would be disabling the onboard audio card and getting something else on a PCI slot, but I'd prefer not to add cards if unnecessary.

I hope someone will point me in the right direction, because I'm currently stuck. Thanks in advance!

Mentore

Pete

• View Profile
Re: [Uniaud] No sound even if audio card is recognized
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 08:38:03 pm »
Hi Mentore

If System Sounds are not working make sure that there is a sound scheme selected - for some reason that setting seems to simply disappear every now and again to be replaced by <none> on my eCS2.1 system.

If that does not help I would guess that the problem is either no output volume or output is not enabled.

Try running this command:-

unimix -list > mixer.txt

Then open mixer.txt in an editor and look for the following Controls:-

[Master Playback Switch] - make sure it is On ie Value 1

[Master Playback Volume] - make sure it has a value (much) greater than 0; set it to max (probably 64) to make sure

You need to use unimix to set the values eg:-

unimix -id[whatever the id number of the control is] -val[value to set control to] -cnt[count value of the control to change]

Running this command will save the unimix "help" into a text file:-

unimix > unimix.txt

Hope the above is of some help

Regards

Pete

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:41:21 pm »
Hello all, I made some experiments but I'm stuck. Here's the situation:

I have an eCS 2.1 UK edition, which is working really nice (even if Firefox is a little less performing and stable than the Windows version - but I greatly praise the developers of the OS/2 version!).

I would like to use this machine also for audio editing, other than porting software (in fact, I'd like to try and port Audacity), but currently I have no sound at all. The uniinfo test program reports, for ALSA helper:

00-00: ALC662 rev1 Analog : ALC662 rev1 Analog

00-01: ALC662 rev1 Digital : ALC662 rev1 Digital

OSS32_Initialize: SUCCESS. Cards=1

But, trying to set the output volume:

U16: MixerSetVolume: OSS16_MixSetVolume failed!!

This is the uniaud.dll card info:

id: Intel
  driver: HDA-Intel
  name: HDA Intel
  longname: HDA Intel at 0xfeaf8000 irq 16
  mixer: Realtek ALC662 rev1
  componenets: HDA:10ec0662,18493662,00100101

So it's an HDA audio card with ALC662 mixer. I'm using the latest ACPI on a dual core Intel CPU, ASRock motherboard.

I tried to take a look into the compatibility grid from Netlabs, but even trying multiple versions of Uniaud, I still can't get no sound. This is becoming sad... My eCS machine is way faster than the WinXP laptop I'm using for these works (plus, I love WPS).

Of course one solution would be disabling the onboard audio card and getting something else on a PCI slot, but I'd prefer not to add cards if unnecessary.

I hope someone will point me in the right direction, because I'm currently stuck. Thanks in advance!

Mentore

Pete kind of wrote what I wanted to write. Uniaud was mentioned by David Azarewicz from Arca Noae in his Warpstock 2014 presentation he gave last year. (Can be found on www.warpstock.org). Their is also a video on youtube.com of his presentation what Arca Noae is working on.

It seems the main issue is that its difficult to sync the current Alsa Linux code with the OS/2 UNIAUD32 code.
What I do still know from time at Mensys is that more audio chipsets, UNIAUD loaded but the mixer was simply not setup correctly. The wiring is different per mainboard. I have also seen Linux systems run into the same problem.

I understood its quit a job to clean out the UNIAUD code after all does years, so the Alsa code can be dropped in and compiled.

Roderick Klein
President OS/2 VOICE

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 10:09:41 pm »
Hi Mentore

If System Sounds are not working make sure that there is a sound scheme selected - for some reason that setting seems to simply disappear every now and again to be replaced by <none> on my eCS2.1 system.

If that does not help I would guess that the problem is either no output volume or output is not enabled.

I'm currently not using system sounds - I disable them even in my other machines because they bother me a little.

Playing with unimix options on Uniaud 1.09.06 I tried the powerget option and got

[D:\]unimix -powerget
Command line mixer for UNIAUD32. Version 1.1
Detected UNIAUD version 2.02.01
Detected 1 audio adapter(s)
Getting power state for adapter 0: ...power state=0

I tried to use the powerset option and got this:

[D:\]unimix -powerset1
Detected 1 audio adapter(s)
Setting power state for adapter 0: 0...Success

I don't know anything about these two options, but I might think that power state 0 means audio card is shut down or something... And that I can't enable it. Am I right? If this is correct, I'm afraid the only solution will be to take back my some of my old PCI audio cards (I don't remember if I have one spare, though) or buy one recognized by Uniaud.

Mentore

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 06:53:40 am »
Hi Mentore

I just tried unimix -powerget:-

[H:\MMOS2]unimix -powerget
Command line mixer for UNIAUD. Version 0.05
Copyright 2004,2005 by Netlabs.org
Written by Vlad Stelmahosky aka Vladest
Detected UNIAUD version 1.92
Detected 2 audio adapter(s)
power state: 0

[H:\MMOS2]

If power state: 0 is "Off" why do I have system sounds, audio playback from media players and seamonkey plugins?

I notice that we are using differnet builds of uniaud and unimix - I must get around to updating sometime.

I also notice that you are using a different uniaud to the build you thought you were using:-

Playing with unimix options on Uniaud 1.09.06 I tried the powerget option and got

I suggest checking that you have the correct \mmos2\dll\uniaud.dll to go with the installed build of uniaud as a mis-match could cause problems.

Have you got a list of mixer controls and checked if the required switches are enabled and volume levels set?

Regards

Pete

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 10:23:06 am »
Hi Mentore

I just tried unimix -powerget:-

[H:\MMOS2]unimix -powerget
Command line mixer for UNIAUD. Version 0.05
Copyright 2004,2005 by Netlabs.org
Written by Vlad Stelmahosky aka Vladest
Detected UNIAUD version 1.92
Detected 2 audio adapter(s)
power state: 0

[H:\MMOS2]

If power state: 0 is "Off" why do I have system sounds, audio playback from media players and seamonkey plugins?

Well, it seems my initial guess was wrong - power state 0 might mean "correctly working" or something.

I notice that we are using differnet builds of uniaud and unimix - I must get around to updating sometime.

I also notice that you are using a different uniaud to the build you thought you were using:-

I suggest checking that you have the correct \mmos2\dll\uniaud.dll to go with the installed build of uniaud as a mis-match could cause problems.

Have you got a list of mixer controls and checked if the required switches are enabled and volume levels set?

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete. This is strange, because I took everything from the uniaud 1.09.06 package (included unimix and uniaud.dll) and replaced the old ones, just to make sure... I will try some other options before reverting to installing a sound card.

Mentore

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 03:31:55 pm »
Hi Mentore,

Dave Parsons has just put up on hobbes a PMUniMix that appears to find all the 'missing' inputs and outputs on various boards.  At least on all the machines here that could not play any sounds other than system sounds.  It found 9 controls while the mixer with uniaud only found 2.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 12:23:36 am »
Hi

Hopefully this new PMunimix will work better for others than it does for me.

PMunimix started fine but when I turned off some settings PMunimix gradually disappeared - as the settings were turned off the app window size was adjusted and the settings  were no longer displayed onscreen.

Initially I was left with Master Volume and Front Speakers but having turned them off to confirm previous results I now do not see the app onscreen - Sorry, I tell a lie, there is a small square of gray/grey onscreen which when I right mouse button and select Maximize turns into PMunimix fullscreen without any available mixer settings at all.

I'm fairly sure this is not working as expected...

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 12:47:54 am »
Hi Pete, Try right clicking on the small square and choosing "Show all controls" or perhaps "Rebuild form".
At the worst try closing it and deleting x:\mmos2\PMUnix.ini.
You might want to report to David Parsons.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 01:09:10 am »
Hopefully this new PMunimix will work better for others than it does for me.

When I start PMunimix, on my Lenovo thinkPad T510, the icon is cross hatched, it shows as running, but no window ever appears (I don't see anything else that might be it either). I don't see any error messages, and it can be closed from the window list. UniAud works okay (but the built in speakers are terrible).

Any ideas?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 01:14:31 am »
Delete the PMunixmix.ini file like I almost described above, stupid typo  :)

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 02:32:54 am »
For those that want to pass on information to Dave his e-mail is dwparsons[at]t-online.de  (replace [at] with the correct symbol).

As I said it works with our Asus M4A78LT-M motherboards with AMD 4 core processors.  Where we didn't have anything but system sounds we can now play CDs and audio files as well as getting sound from VLC.

I think it will be hell here at work in the morning as everyone tries this out.  Thankfully I have the morning off.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 02:34:31 am by ivan »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 02:56:10 am »
Hi All

@Dave

RMB on the small square produces the system RMB menu.

If I Maximize the app then I can RMB click on the app display space and see the apps options. "Show all ..." works but "Rebuild Form" can result in a crash.

I have tried this several times now: Clicking on the Min/Max button when Maximised can result in the app becoming a small square again. Maximizing the app and clicking Rebuild Form may cause the app to crash but when restarted the app is back to a reasonable size rather than Maximized or "Ultra-Minimized".

Deleting the pmunimix.ini file simply deletes the last window position of the app so does not affect this behaviour.

I have sent Dave an email about the problems I have seen. I see that the app is built using Sibyl 2 fixpack3 which is possibly the cause of the problems so will suggest to Dave that he has a look at building using the current WDSibyl which has been a little updated since Sibyl 2 fp3

I shall also suggest to Dave that "Show all controls" should have an option to "stick" when the app is closed and restarted rather than reverting to the previous state of not all controls.

@Doug

I suspect that the app is starting minimized and almost "off screen".

Delete the pmunimix.ini file and try the app again.

If that does not work open the pmunimix.ini file - should be whereever you have put pmunimix - using an ini editor and change the Window Position; set X as 230 and Y as 300 (makes sure it is definitely onscreen), save and close ini editor, try running app.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 07:43:24 pm »
@Doug

I suspect that the app is starting minimized and almost "off screen".

Delete the pmunimix.ini file and try the app again.

Yeah, that caused a very small (almost invisible) window to open, near the middle of the screen. The original one must have been hiding somewhere, where I couldn't see it.

I will try the program on some other systems, when I find the time...

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 03:45:35 pm »
I will try the program on some other systems, when I find the time...

It works better on two other systems, but it certainly doesn't show ALL of the controls. I am not sure that it even shows the most important controls. On my T510, when I expand the window and show all controls, it only shows Master Playback Volume (two), which it shows as "Off", but the sound works as well as it ever did, so it is not right.