Author Topic: Night Vision v4 and Java  (Read 26843 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Night Vision v4 and Java
« on: May 10, 2015, 06:38:21 pm »
I have noticed a strange anomaly with Night Vision v4 and Openjdk6 - the time is incorrect - the time is correct when I use Jave142. 

Being in France local time is GMT +1, or at the moment with summer time it is GMT +2.  The clock on my computer is set to local time.

Now, running NV 4 using Openjdk6 and setting NV to sync with computer time the actual time shown is GMT (two hours less than the computer clock).  I have e-mailed a few friends and they confirm what I am seeing.

When I use Java142 to run NV 4 the time shows up correctly and syncs with the computer clock without problems.

Before I raise a bug report about Openjdk6 I would like to know if people in other parts of the world are seeing this or is it just Europe.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
Re: Night Vision v4 and Java
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 12:37:39 pm »
Hi Ivan,

I've noticed incorrect time keeping in Openjdk6 with Jalbum and a few other java apps, not a show stopper so I've never bothered investigating further, I'm in a -8 time zone with no DT but cant remember how many hours Openjdk6 was out.

[Edited - grammar]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:10:28 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 12:05:57 am »
Thanks Ian.

Normally I don't worry about the time in Java applications but a 2 hour difference when you are looking for a star is rather too much.

Now all I need is to know if Greggory is seeing the same thing - he was the one that alerted me to the fact that there was a newer Java NV available. 

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 12:42:45 am »
I downloaded Night Vision v4 and installed it (big word for really nothing). First, Netherlands nowhere in the files. I made a text file with locations with the option for saving the locations to a text file. Put in my home place. Saved the file and restarted nvj. I did setup it again and saved it tot the ini file. You have to set the time with the option of computer time, save it to the ini file. Shut down and restart. It picks up the computer time, but on hold? The problem is that the program does have a user setup for update interval and time speed. Go to Time, go to Rates , set update display to 1 second,  set advance time to "1X" for normal operation. Press "OK" or "Apply", next save it in the user preferences. Now nvj is perfect in sync with your computer every time you start and use the program.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:22:55 am by Joop »

os2sam

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 12:35:58 am »
Has the Night Vision for Java been developed past what the OS/2 Version did?  Last I checked there didn't seem to be any improvements over the OS/2 Version.  It's been a few years since I looked at it though.  I really enjoyed the program and found it very helpful when I did use it.
Sam

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 03:46:38 am »
Hello Sam,
I don't think we talk same program. This is the link http://home.comcast.net/~nightvision/nvj.html and I used the option "Users of other operating systems, and those who prefer manual installation, can click here (2.9MB). (Download to a clean directory, unzip, and use a web browser to follow the directions in nvj.html). "
Joop

Has the Night Vision for Java been developed past what the OS/2 Version did?  Last I checked there didn't seem to be any improvements over the OS/2 Version.  It's been a few years since I looked at it though.  I really enjoyed the program and found it very helpful when I did use it.
Sam

os2sam

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 04:52:55 am »
Hello Sam,
I don't think we talk same program. This is the link http://home.comcast.net/~nightvision/nvj.html and I used the option "Users of other operating systems, and those who prefer manual installation, can click here (2.9MB). (Download to a clean directory, unzip, and use a web browser to follow the directions in nvj.html). "
Joop

No, it's the same program.  It started out as a native OS/2 app and I actually bought it.  Then the author started developing it for java.  Doesn't look like anything has been added since the OS/2 version, except the version number. :)

Go back one step on your url and it'll show the OS/2 Version

http://home.comcast.net/~nightvision/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:59:40 am by os2sam »

Gregg Young

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 05:24:49 am »
The time  GMT-7 is shown correctly here with Night Vision v4 and Openjdk6. I just opened the program and it was correct.

Gregg

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 02:50:47 pm »
No, it's the same program.  It started out as a native OS/2 app and I actually bought it.  Then the author started developing it for java.  Doesn't look like anything has been added since the OS/2 version, except the version number. :)

Go back one step on your url and it'll show the OS/2 Version
Had it already on disk and installed. So much programs for OS/2  ;). Okay, put them together on screen with the question find the difference. You can handle the map in any way on the OS/2 version with the bars. Had to do that because both didn't showed me the same picture, while place(city) and time are the same. If you mark deep sky objects you get them all in the OS/2 version, with the Java version you have more options with magnitude. In the OS/2 version you have to deal with the installed fonts. The fonts in the Java are a little better. Found a bug with fonts in OS/2 version, not all can be set to the options given in the window (menu). In the Java version you can show the complete solar system, did not find that in the OS/2 version. And yes, not much difference, we do live too short to see major differences in the maps, apart from that its all following its orbit. If so, that would be spectacular.

nyao

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 03:29:23 pm »
There is no problem in Night Vision v4 and Openjdk6.
Setting
Set>Location>select location>Ok
File>save location

Time>Set date/time

And,OS/2 version, there is a problem that is not normally displayed in My widescreen display.
I have received a corresponding version(ver2.6sp) from Mr B.Simpson.
Very thankyou.

xynixme

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 05:31:48 pm »
Has the Night Vision for Java been developed past what the OS/2 Version did?

Yes and no. A suffered loss, AFAIK, is that the direction of view isn't saved anymore. The author should be aware of this by now, IIRC, but the functionality may never be added back. A possible solution is to use both versions, an updated version and a version with a saved direction of view.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:49:58 pm by AndrĂ© Heldoorn »

xynixme

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 05:51:38 pm »
First, Netherlands nowhere in the files.

IIRC Brussels was, but only as a city near the country, for the time zone. The author should be aware of the missing country, IIRC again, with the use of the old role of the Dutch OS/2 community and a previous list of cities to encourage to append the country to the list. Amsterdam may never be appended, of course.

If you're Dutch, then it's quite interesting that Nokia's database of places, used by a lovely Symbian 60 astronomy app called Astroller, even included a Dutch comedy show's virtual town, located somewhere in the Netherlands. You can actually select and use Juinen, unless they've the deleted the record by now.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 05:44:48 am »
I have noticed a strange anomaly with Night Vision v4 and Openjdk6 - the time is incorrect - the time is correct when I use Jave142. 

Being in France local time is GMT +1, or at the moment with summer time it is GMT +2.  The clock on my computer is set to local time.

Now, running NV 4 using Openjdk6 and setting NV to sync with computer time the actual time shown is GMT (two hours less than the computer clock).  I have e-mailed a few friends and they confirm what I am seeing.

When I use Java142 to run NV 4 the time shows up correctly and syncs with the computer clock without problems.

Before I raise a bug report about Openjdk6 I would like to know if people in other parts of the world are seeing this or is it just Europe.

Hi Ivan!

A little late but was away and just noticed this.

I use OpenJDK6 for most of the Java programs I've installed including NightVision v4.0 (2015 copyright on the About page). It has a menu item Time > Set Date / Time  where you can manually enter the date and time or set it to Computer Date / Time. As we use Daylight Savings Time (DST) here in Alberta you can also specify use of DST under "Set Location"

Has worked flawlessly date / time wise since I installed it about two months ago.

I also noted that a number of people were discussing their location and time zone was not present in the list.

Under the File Menu Item for NVJ, there is a Menu item called "Write User Files" where you can create a file "nvlocations.txt" in the NVJ directory, which is editable with any ASCII text editor (or word processor, but save as TXT file). If present, NVJ will read the location data from this external file, instead of its internal database.

I live near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, which was not present in the listing so simply added it to nvlocation (city, lat/long, timezone), saved it and chose this location using Set > Location, when next I opened the program. (As an aside, I had to laugh when I saw "Calgary, Canada" but not Edmonton listed, as under the Time Zone explanation at the top of nvlocations.txt, it listed "America/Edmonton" as one of the possible TZ settings ...........!)

I've shared the modified nvloccation,txt file with a couple of other people who use NVJ, so they can see the sky the way I see it, and vise versa.

One thing - the first time I edited the nvlocation file, my location didn't come up - you have to remember to enter the lat /long information with colons instead of periods (eg. -113:50 instead of -113.50 as longitude).

You can also customize your personal database to add additional star names and deep sky objects, also by using File > Write User Files to create the editable nvdeepsky.txt and nvstarnames.txt files.

A fine week to you, Sir (and everyone else)!

Mark

Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

xynixme

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 06:31:58 am »
You can also customize your personal database to add additional star names and deep sky objects, also by using File > Write User Files to create the editable nvdeepsky.txt and nvstarnames.txt files.

Writing a merger shouldn't be that hard. There's NVSN v2.6, NVSN v4 and e.g. Cosmos/2. If you want to get it right, and Brussels isn't good enough to represent a small town in the same time zone, then you just have to "import" other, existing data. Append once, export to all othe rlists. I guess the main problem, if any, will be 2 different location with the same name.

Cosmos/2: Brussels,_Belgium                +1:00   04:21  50:50
NVSN v2.6: Antwerp, Belgium             4:25  51:13   1:00
NVSN v4.0: Antwerp, Belgium                  4:25  51:13 Europe/Brussels

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 08:53:52 am »
Hi Mark.

My problem with the time in NV 4 and oprnjdk6 is that no matter how many times I set it it always reverts to GMT the next time I start NV 4.  Everything else works as expected, even down to a customised location.

I am assuming it is something to do with openjdk6 rather than NV 4 but I don't run any other java programs that are time critical to check that.