Author Topic: Windows 95 in your browser  (Read 8442 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Windows 95 in your browser
« on: May 11, 2015, 10:40:55 pm »
Sorry for the disturbing subject :)

I noticed that some guy pull this off to set an image of Windows 95 to run on a browser.
http://win95.ajf.me/

So I was trying to find out if the same can apply for OS/2, but I noticed that this is based on "Em-DOSBox" which is a javascript implementation of DOSBox.  I always thought that Windows 95 was a not an OS that runs over DOS like used to be Win 3.1, but I'm not sure if I'm wrong now (I was never an expert on Windows 95 architecture).

What do you think? Can OS/2 be run on a browser just like Windows 95? or this only runs DOS and Windows 95 runs over it.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Windows 95 in your browser
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 01:12:08 am »
Win9x was somewhat like Win3.1 in that it ran over DOS though it continued the tradition that started with WFWG 3.11 where it loaded various protected mode 32 bit drivers rather then using the DOS backend drivers.
I wasn't aware that DosBox had advanced to a state that it could run Win95 though I know it can run Win 3.1. As the article mentions in this case it is using the DOS disk driver rather then the 32 bit protected mode driver.
I doubt that OS/2 will ever run under DosBox, it took long enough to run under proper virtual machines such as VPC and is purely protected mode as well as using features of the i386 that no other OS has used (to load and run the DOS drivers)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 02:47:12 am »
Thanks Dave. We will have to wait for VirtualBox on javascript to run OS/2 on a browser :)
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 04:44:44 am »
Might see Bochs sooner as it is a full i386 emulator. Hate to think how slow OS/2 would run in a JavaScript build of Bochs :)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 05:12:30 am »
It's being worked on here, https://github.com/codinguncut/jsbochs, has a ways to go and we can't compile it as uses LLVM. There's also Fabrice Bellard's PC emulator which can run Linux, http://bellard.org/jslinux/. Be nice to test by someone with the bandwidth to download the Linux image.