Author Topic: Supported Device List Suggestion for Arca Noae  (Read 32012 times)

warp

Re: Supported Device List Suggestion for Arca Noae
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 09:54:52 am »
Hello Jim,

what not opening a new discussion in the "Setup and installation area" of the forum?

You can reach it here: http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/board,16.0.html

You mentioned eCS 1.0, which has been released in year 2000-2001, I suppose. When did you purchase your laptop?

I am a newbie to this forum, so please forgive my errors. Not a newbie to OS/2, having first started with it with version 2, but haven't used it in a long time.
This observation is very self centered, as it involves what I want to do.
I want to find a laptop that will work with eCs 1.
I do have an old Toshiba (Satellite M35X-S161) but it gets a can't operate this drive which as I remember means I don't have the correct driver. Appreciate any help on this.
As to the question at hand.  It would seem you could get everyone on "O/S2 World" to list what they have and drivers that work.
If they have a Toshiba Satellite XXXX-XXXX state that and what works and what doesn't.
If they have a desktop they same.
If they have a custom desktop. what parts work and what don't.
If they are using a virtual machine then what type and what are the settings.
I know it is a big job if you look at the end of the job it seems gigantic, but if we look at just one at time it will grow.
Last time I looked at the HCL there were only two laptops, I can't believe those are the only ones. I don't know if the HCL is modifiable then it should be. Have someone knowledgeable check them and lock them.
Please excuse me if I stepped on any toes or broke any rules.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 01:11:07 am »

I doubt if that would work. It seems that the same device gets different names, and PCI IDs, depending on where it is sold. So you can say that devices X, and Y, are "supported", but if it is sold as device Z, in your region, what do you do? The other big problem, is that motherboards come with devices, that the user has no choice about (in most cases). Recently, I got an Asus A88XM-A motherboard. The specs looked like it might work, but the wired NIC is a "Found Realtek NIC at bus 3:0:0: 10EC:8168 version 39 (RTL8168g/8111g)". Multimac loads, and it works at 100 Mbs (should be 1 Gbs) for a short period, then it just stops. As the information shows, it is version 39 of the SAME device, and it obviously requires something different.

I have a Gigabyte mainboard using a:-  Vendor 10ECh Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8168h RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller

I have not spotted a version number though... What did you use to get a version number?

I had a lot of fun trying to get this nic working until I discovered r8169-1.0.0.wpi in the eCS betazone. If you have not tried that build it may be worth a go.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2015, 05:45:22 am »
What did you use to get a version number?

David A. sent me RtlChipId.exe, some time ago, for a previous Realtek NIC problem. I am not sure what the licensing is for that, but I am sure he would send it to you, if you are subscribed to Arca Noae.

I had a lot of fun trying to get this nic working until I discovered r8169-1.0.0.wpi in the eCS betazone. If you have not tried that build it may be worth a go.

I tried that one, and the Arca Noae equivalent. No change. I have 3 other Realtek NICS that work well with the Realtek driver from Multimac-20150529.exe (from Arca Noae).

I will also note, that I have a couple of Intel NICs, that work very well with the new E1000B driver, from Arca Noae (based on BSD code). Hopefully, they can get the Realtek NIC driver updated, soon. Well worth the cost of admission.