Author Topic: IBM DDK Drivers - screen01, kbdbase, clock01, print01  (Read 16457 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: IBM DDK Drivers - screen01, kbdbase, clock01, print01
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 04:06:17 am »

You'd also maybe get a better reaction from the community if you started a thread "How to compile screen01" or such and it could be an interesting learning experience.
I agree with you on this, but I don't see anything "extreme/intimidating/" on my first post.

I think it was this paragraph, which can be construed that you want to release the old drivers,
So, I will like to know if someone is interested to create/build some "test-beta-AS IS- no support - under your own risk" drivers for "screen01, kbdbase, clock01, print01" and turn them freeware for all use. I want to test a "non-IBM" produced drivers on my experimental VM.

English is an inaccurate language and it's easy to misconstrue things, in particular the term "freeware" instead of the license allows sharing binaries and I'd like a copy.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 04:47:17 am »

So, I will like to know if someone is interested to create/build some "test-beta-AS IS- no support - under your own risk" drivers for "screen01, kbdbase, clock01, print01" and turn them freeware for all use. I want to test a "non-IBM" produced drivers on my experimental VM.

Sorry, I keep reading my first post and I don't see the "monstrosity" that can be interpreted that I'm going to put a gun on the OS/2 community to use drivers based on old code.

Maybe some people thinks that releasing a driver as a freeware for all use (individual and commercial) is a crime on these days.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 11:18:58 am »
Although stated above I want to say it in other words - Martin, if you build old code and if you distribute that old code, others will test it too. To some average user it may misleadingly seem your 'old code, newly compiled' version must be better then the 'old dated' (but actually newer code) version he already uses. If it wouldn't be better (fix some problems) there would not has been released a newly version the average user may think. Nowadays we are used to updated all kind of software on our machines and smartphones regularly. Nearly no one ever reads why and what they update. Most users only use the 'latest' version as taught by the whole IT industry since years.

Some average users for sure will use your newly released 'old code'. He may have problems afterwards or not. He may have other seemingly not related strange problems after months of using your 'old code'. He may even had forgotten that he had overwritten the 'old dated but latest code' with a 'new dated but old buggy code' (if he ever had realized what he has done). AND he may call for help fixing his problem. Either on forums or on bugtrackers.

Hope I explained what someone called opening a can of worms (or bugs). So be very careful when you distribute such buggy code. And it is buggy for sure. IBM wouldn't have fixed it afterwards if not.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 04:08:29 pm »
Hi Andi B.

I understood from the first day that there is a risk to have back leveled binaries of this drivers and that was not what I was requesting on the first post. I was asking for something experimental, and not for anybody to use under their freee will.

My issue is that the negativism of important people of the community is scaring/stopping people to assist me on my request for help. Please remember that I also need help like anybody on this community, and having people on my back that see only the negative side of what I post is not helping me.

On this case I thanks Andy for helping on this subject.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 04:41:03 pm »
Maybe the wording 'and turn them freeware for all use' in -
to create/build some "test-beta-AS IS- no support - under your own risk" drivers for "screen01, kbdbase, clock01, print01" and turn them freeware for all use
triggers alarm bells in a lot of heads beside mine.

The warning that this 'opens a can of worms' in this context must be an allowed reply without being call negativism and should not scare you IMHO.

Peace :-)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 05:34:42 pm »
Hi.

I may be over sensitive since on my last experiment (moving the OS/2 paths) the some opinions was to try to stop me and do not waste time on that. And I needed to pull harder until some more people help me out to finish that experiment.

When I dare to post about my next experiment on a VM, that will really freak some out to a higher level. But I need to complete the EDM/2 Components page first.

Peace :)
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 10:17:49 pm »
Oke here is a suggestion how you could maybe look if its worthwhile to compile the drivers.

Its a bit if work but if you take all the readme files of all fixpaks from Warp 4 and MCP you might be able to make some list of what fixes where made.

For the person that has a DDK, based on what ever time stamp information you can then see (I do not know how hard it would be), how many potential bugs the new drivers could contain.

Look the idea is nice but compiiling the drivers and releasing them. If you could list the *potential* defects you possibly get that fixed by working on that code that is in the DDK.

Thats why I asked why you select these drivers ? Its a free world. I just have not seen many defects in these drivers that you mention over the years.  But thats just my 1 cent.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 11:15:11 pm »
Hi Roderick.

This was an experiment I was doing with OS/2. Thanks for your comments (which now seems more constructive), but this is not a project or a thing will go on production, it is an experiment for my home and nobody wants to know what I'm doing (there is no interest), do not worry, be happy.

Please Roderick,  do not contact me in private to tell me that X or Y effort is a waste of time (In your Humble opinion), I'm not asking you to do it, don't take any of my crazy ideas I post personal. This is my hobbie and I choose how to waste my time.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 11:43:46 pm »
Sorry for the sharp edges on my comment. I just did a pretty extensive posting and some updates how to write device drivers for OS/2. I finaly after Warpstock during my vacation some spare time to sit down. What David Yeo pointed out was in this thread.

http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,762.msg7147.html#msg7147
I thought you wanted to release the drivers to the genereal public.  At least that is how I think David also read it.
We are not against plans but you want to discuss them in public I guess for a reason.

Sorry for the sharp edges on my comments in your direction.  Sometimes I am to blund and other cases I use the English language incorrect. Years ago I wrote to somebody " I want to have a little chat with you". I meant that as in Dutch, discuss something briefly. But in proper English it means you wanne say somebody the truth! Anyway my spoken English is a whole lot better then my wirtten English as I make sometimes also my sentences "Dutch-English".