Author Topic: programming in Java with netbeans  (Read 24705 times)

Joop

• View Profile
programming in Java with netbeans
« on: June 13, 2015, 01:59:44 pm »
I have some sources for Java programs which where developed in netbeans. I want to install netbeans, but what version (of course one for Java 6)? Are there different versions for OpenJDK and Sun's Java? There are lot of sources  available from programs which don't want to run in our implementation of OpenJDK.

Joop

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: programming in Java with netbeans
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 09:19:00 pm »
Perhaps use Google to research what Linux or the BSDs use with our version of OpenJDK?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 10:22:06 pm »
Hi

It will be interesting to try this and document which is the latest Netbeans that can run on OS/2-eCS with OpenJDK 6.

Here are the old Netbeans archive:
https://netbeans.org/community/releases/old.html

Version 6.9.1 says it requires Java 6. Since version 7 it requires Java 7, I guess Oracle tried to sync the release numbers with Java.

If you have any luck let us know and post the script.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 10:50:57 pm »
On the old forum (2011) there was a comment by lpino :
http://www.os2world.com/oldforum/index.php?topic=3092.150

Is anyone trying to make Netbeans (v.6.9.1) work under OpenJava?. I had have some success and it starts and run, but it's very unstable and it crashes constantly.

Looking the thread there is no more details about it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 12:50:04 am »
I downloaded 6.9.1, but according specs our implementation of OpenJDK is not up to it. Our version is too low. Nevertheless I wanted to try. All they can come up with is Windows, all kinds of flavors of Linux and the Mac. For the independent stuff go to the bin directory and launch program something.exe. I did that, but its a Windows program. That's it, they didn't even took the liberty to say how to proceed if that doesn't work. Going through the Linux sh file it seems not too difficult to do it without installer. Only its a puzzle and the sh is almost not readable. Independent seems for them so much as another distribution of Linux.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 01:12:22 am »
Perhaps post the sh script if you are still having problems

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 01:30:34 am »
Downloaded netbeans-5_5_1.zip. This distribution still have OS/2 stuff for installing and using. Lets see, if that work we always can try to trick a higher verion of netbeans.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 01:58:33 am »
Downloaded netbeans-5_5_1.zip. This distribution still have OS/2 stuff for installing and using. Lets see, if that work we always can try to trick a higher verion of netbeans.

Start at 5.0 I got that one working !

Above that 5.x+ the CMD states that the startup line is to long. There's thread on this somewhere around too.

Greggory
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:00:14 am by Greggory Shaw »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 07:12:55 pm »
Thanks for the tip Greggory. The only complaint so far is that it can't find Java. For the first cmd file you can fix it with --jdkhome statement, but within this command file a second is called and that one is complaining with the same message. Have to figure out how to solve that puzzle. Had input the lines

set path=q:\JAVA160\bin
set BEGINLIBPATH=q:\JAVA160\bin
set CLASSPATH=
set JAVA_HOME=
set SWING_HOME=

This works in my command files for starting Java programs, but in this case REXX doesn't like it. So I have to study a little more ;-)

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 08:18:48 pm »
Thanks for the tip Greggory. The only complaint so far is that it can't find Java. For the first cmd file you can fix it with --jdkhome statement, but within this command file a second is called and that one is complaining with the same message. Have to figure out how to solve that puzzle. Had input the lines

set path=q:\JAVA160\bin
set BEGINLIBPATH=q:\JAVA160\bin
set CLASSPATH=
set JAVA_HOME=
set SWING_HOME=

This works in my command files for starting Java programs, but in this case REXX doesn't like it. So I have to study a little more ;-)

Here's the other CMD file just use that:

E:\TMP\UNZIP\NETBEANS-5_5\NETBEANS\PLATFORM6\LIB]nbexec.cmd --jdkhome x:\java6jdk

This starts up 5.0, but zero testing.

Edit: just tried 5.5 and it's works too. See attached

Or the use the Windows eXe files (eCs 2.2):

pe nbexec.exe --userdir e:\tmp  --jdkhome E:\Programs\Java\JavaOld\OpenJDK6-GA

Tip: always PE the Windows exe first, sometimes it just works !

Greggory
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:06:00 am by Greggory Shaw »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 11:38:35 pm »
I have netbeans 5 running. Thought I had to feed the Java home directory in the same way as the programs. Wrong!
I edited the file "netbeans.conf" in the directory "\netbeans\etc".  I changed the line "#netbeans_jdkhome="/path/to/jdk"" into "netbeans_jdkhome="Q:\JAVA160"" and that did the trick, I had ""Q:\JAVA160\BIN", but that's wrong, because in the process the \BIN directory is added.
Deleted version 5, unzipped version 5.5.1. Edited the file "netbeans.conf" in the same way. But running gives the error "SYS1065: The input line is too long." after the line "Q:\netbeans\platform6\lib" in the command window. I did start with "netbeans.cmd".

Joop

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 11:56:20 pm »
I have netbeans 5 running. Thought I had to feed the Java home directory in the same way as the programs. Wrong!
I edited the file "netbeans.conf" in the directory "\netbeans\etc".  I changed the line "#netbeans_jdkhome="/path/to/jdk"" into "netbeans_jdkhome="Q:\JAVA160"" and that did the trick, I had ""Q:\JAVA160\BIN", but that's wrong, because in the process the \BIN directory is added.
Deleted version 5, unzipped version 5.5.1. Edited the file "netbeans.conf" in the same way. But running gives the error "SYS1065: The input line is too long." after the line "Q:\netbeans\platform6\lib" in the command window. I did start with "netbeans.cmd".

Joop

I said it would say that - use 5.5.

E:\TMP\UNZIP\NETBEANS-5_5\NETBEANS\PLATFORM6\LIB]nbexec.cmd --jdkhome x:\java6jdk

or get rid of the script:

pe nbexec.exe --userdir e:\tmp  --jdkhome E:\Programs\Java\JavaOld\OpenJDK6-GA

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:58:22 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 12:51:16 am »
Sorry, thought that 5.5.1 was a bug fix or so on 5.5. Tried 6.9.1 with modified command files from 5.0, but I get same error "SYS1065: The input line is too long".

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:37 am »
Downloaded 5.5. Installed it the way it should, get the same message that the line is too long (this is interesting, because we can compare with 5.0 and see the differences if any.). Do it your way, yes it installs, but I get the feeling that some things are missing in the menu, but I could be wrong. Furthermore, you need to go through all the command files while they are stuck for a part on version 4.1. Also lots of directory names are not updated with the one used in the zip file.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 01:55:22 am »
Downloaded 5.5. Installed it the way it should, get the same message that the line is too long (this is interesting, because we can compare with 5.0 and see the differences if any.). Do it your way, yes it installs, but I get the feeling that some things are missing in the menu, but I could be wrong. Furthermore, you need to go through all the command files while they are stuck for a part on version 4.1. Also lots of directory names are not updated with the one used in the zip file.

Ask Dave to redo the sh file, like he offered. Or use the windows.exe file should call everything too (did you actually use the Win exe) ?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:01:10 am by Greggory Shaw »