Author Topic: H.P. LaserJet Pro CP 1025nw  (Read 15063 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
H.P. LaserJet Pro CP 1025nw
« on: June 17, 2015, 04:48:27 am »
Has anybody managed to get this printer to work with eCS? If so, please post a response.

thanks,  klipp

Pete

• View Profile
Re: H.P. LaserJet Pro CP 1025nw
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 01:51:24 am »
Hi klipp

According to http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_cp1025nw.html this printer requires a driver plugin for linux that is *not* open source.

Based on that information I doubt you will find anyone running this printer as an OS/2 printer - unless they have developed their own driver.

If you have just purchased this printer and not used it maybe you will be able to persuade the shop to take it back - they might prefer you to purchase a replacement printer from them at the same time though. Check what printers they have in stock that you like the look of then go away and check the specifications of those printers. If a printer requires a closed source plugin of some sort then delete it from your list of possible printers.

Regards

Pete

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 03:41:36 am »
Read the spec for this printer and it states:
"Print language - Host based"
What exactly does that mean?

(I'm currently using a hp cp2025dn and ps-drivers that come with eCS.)

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 03:49:51 am »
Well, did some work myself and found the explication.
One article says that Linux, Unix and OS/2 users should consider a PDL printer instead of host based.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 04:24:00 am »
Hi Per, I've located 2  H.P. cp2025 printers and was hoping you could describe how you set it up if possible in some detail. One of these printers will be for a client if I'm convinced it will work well. I guess I still don't really understand you're post concerning using a "host based" vs a PDL printer.

Thanks for you're responses   klipp

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 04:52:05 am »
Hey Pete, I did some digging and there'e a whole bunch of H.P. printers needing thar HPLIP  driver, H.P. has released two different upgrades to it and it still doesn't work. But of course it works with Windoz! Anyways I've got the cp 1025nw boxed back up and am going to try to return it tommorow. They told me it was guaranteed to work with both Linux & OS/2 so possibly I might get my money back. Although in the past I've had problems with Mexican guarentees!
Thanks for the input     klipp

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 11:12:22 am »
consider a PDL printer
Guess this should be PCL. In my words - search a printer with PS (Postscript) language or PCL (PCL5 or PCL6). Most probably you will not find any HP PS capable printer which does not support PCL too. With PS you can use pscript or Alex newer PS driver and chances are very very high that it works. With PCL use hplaser.drv (?) and probably it works. Drivers included with eCS.

Both languages PS and PCL work with cups without any special proprietary driver (TTBOMK). PS is preferred as this is the more official and better defined standard.

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 11:19:14 am »
Hi klipp,

Setup is quite simple:
Start the "Install Printer" which you'll find the Printers folder and choose "Standard printer".
Then "Install new printer driver..." and select "Printer driver shipped with eCS".
I have chosen to use HP Color LaserJet 3700 PS. Colors, grey scale and duplex work fine with this driver.
For output port I use SLPR, if it's not already listed you can install the port by a "right click" on LPT1, then
click install and you'll be presented with available ports. Select SLPR and install.
When installed and listed in "Output ports", open it's settings and fill in LPD server (IP-addr) and LPD printer
(printer name).  You can find both of these values by printing a "settings report" using the "OK" button on
the printer.
Under "Performance" I've selected LPRPRTD Compatible, never tried High Performance.
(When all installed you can enter that IP in your web browser to get lots of info about the printer)

That's it, I think........

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 11:27:52 am »
Hi Andy,

Not important but I meant PDL - Printer Description Language.
Some info about "Host-based printing":
http://www.laserquipt.com/support/idx/26/083/article/Host-Based-Drivers.html

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 12:47:06 pm »
PDL - I see. Learning new things every day. Thanks.

But IMHO this is a clever marketing gag to confuse people. Obfuscating that PS and PCL are both well established and platform independent languages where PDL is a generic term describing crappy hardware which needs a special (windows) driver and powerful computer to print even the simplest text. Probably invented after people started to stay away from so called 'host-based' or 'GDI' printers.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:50:31 pm by Andi B. »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 02:05:16 pm »
Hi klipp

The HP printers supported by hplip that do *NOT* need a closed source plugin from HP should work with eCUPS and hplip on OS/2 based systems.

I think it is a bit sad of manufacturers to "open source" drivers but introduce a closed source element, "plugin",  that is necessary for the device to function. I nearly had the same problem with my Cannon MG7550 which needs a Cannon closed source plugin to operate the Cannon "open source" linux drivers. Luckily eCUPS and sane both work well enough without needing any of the "open source" driver bits otherwise my Cannon MG7550 would be simply an overlarge paperweight.

Regards

Pete

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 05:31:24 pm »
Man O Man!ยก THANKS to all of you! You've cleared up a BUNCH of questions about printers for me, and I'm sure a bunch of other OS/2 users. I'm going to go ahead and buy those 2 HP cp2025's !
Thanks again -- You all are whats keeping OS/2 -eCS ALIVE!    klipp

mwizard

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 05:37:59 am »
I have this printer.  I use it with Linux & Windows.  I do not use it with OS/2.

I can attest to everything people here are warning you about.  That special plugin isn't available for OS/2.

I'd be curious to know if the 2025 suffers the same problem.

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 03:40:53 pm »
I haven't tried the 2025 with cups. No need for that since it works with ps-drivers shipped with eCS.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 12:29:09 am »
Hey Per, I just got my H.P. 2025dn. Havn't been able to make it work yet though. I'm trying to use you're setup instructions with SLPR port. I got the LPD Server set as 192.168.1.140 which is the same as the IPv4 Address. But I don't know for sure to enter as LPD Printer. Setup on th H.P. 2025 does not show a LPD Name. Could you tell me what you had to enter for both of these items?

thanks  klipp