Author Topic: BrainStorm: Non-Driver Software Priorities for the Platform.  (Read 22865 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Hi

There seems to be some necessity for the community to express what should be the software priorities on the OS2-eCS platform. But I know that many will jump to say "DRIVERS !!" and I don't want to discuss that this time, since I think that we need to see what Arca Noae will deliver on the future.

So, the question to brainstorm is "Which are the platform software priorities excluding drivers?".

There was some old 2014 discussion summary here, but you are all free to discuss what should be a priority.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

mwizard

Re: BrainStorm: Non-Driver Software Priorities for the Platform.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 05:43:12 am »
Are there any finance programs supported for OS/2?  We have a couple of old programs like ETeller out there.  But I'm not sure the authors are around anymore.

I wouldn't mind an investment analysis program too.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 07:04:51 am »
My priorities are having a decent browser and good multimedia (especially video) support.
So I've learned that I'm not a programmer but can still learn enough that I'm posting this with OS/2 SeaMonkey 2.28 (currently probably the only one in the world) and regularly test FFmpeg and even libav, including contributing my test results back upstream so they don't remove us. (fate.ffmpeg.org and fate.libav.org and do the odd fix. These are the bases of most of our (and most other open source)  multimedia support.
Even us non-programmers can work to have software working on our platform of choice.

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 09:15:45 am »
My priorities are having a decent browser and good multimedia (especially video) support.
So I've learned that I'm not a programmer but can still learn enough that I'm posting this with OS/2 SeaMonkey 2.28 (currently probably the only one in the world) and regularly test FFmpeg and even libav, including contributing my test results back upstream so they don't remove us. (fate.ffmpeg.org and fate.libav.org and do the odd fix. These are the bases of most of our (and most other open source)  multimedia support.
Even us non-programmers can work to have software working on our platform of choice.

I completely second what Dave is saying, adding music software to the list.

Mentore

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 03:47:08 pm »
I'd like to have a newer SeaMonkey version that can handle e-mail attachments without crashing.
Updated ODBC-drivers and a tool for simple editing of pdf's, (adding text, not annotations.).

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 08:38:19 pm »

+1

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 03:31:07 pm »
Updated UnixODBC Manager (with appropriate drivers) with the QT4 GUI
Good multimedia support (Integrate mplayer/ffmpeg to enhance MMOS2)
Web Browser

Regarding editing PDF's... it would be possible if someone would compile the OpenOffice plugin that allow us to edit PDF's

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 11:10:51 pm »
Gregg Young gave a presentation at Warpstock Europe about his updated for MMOS/2 such a new MMIO MP3 codec he updated. And he was working/looking ffmpeg integration with MMOS/2 I think.

That reminds me I need to still upload the Warpstock Europe 2015 presentations.

Roderick Klein

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 03:15:26 pm »
Thanks for sharing.

My non-driver software request will be to try to bring more love to the OS/2 GUI.
I wrote this article on 2011, someone liked it, other not, but I think it is time to improve the GUI and try to revive XWorkplace.

Revive XWorkplace means to put more functionality and more GUI improvements on it, it does not mean only bugfixing. 

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 03:32:14 pm »
Thanks for sharing.

My non-driver software request will be to try to bring more love to the OS/2 GUI.
I wrote this article on 2011, someone liked it, other not, but I think it is time to improve the GUI and try to revive XWorkplace.

Revive XWorkplace means to put more functionality and more GUI improvements on it, it does not mean only bugfixing. 

Regards

I remember something similar to a flamewar when the discussion went on what "improve the GUI" means. I have to say I'm kind of an "old man" person, and must say I like the OS/2 standard WPS. Actually I'm sure that the object-oriented approach could still be a selling point, rather than its visuals. That said, maybe a little restyling could be useful, but still - I kinda prefer performances over appearance. Mind you, I usually deactivate rounded windows also in Windows and Linux...

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 04:44:12 pm »

* the article doesn't mention Piano Launchpad

* eCo Software is working on new WPS Copy/Move dialog

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 05:33:51 pm »
Hi.

I remember some of the flamewars, in general terms people are scared to any change, no matter if is a proposed change, a real change, a bad change or even if it is change that it will be good for them but they haven't read about it :)

Like someone told me some time ago, the idea is to have "options" to have a way to configure things and customize it the way you like it. It does not mean to break how thing are working, but to have the option to enable a checkbox to have that functionality. So, if there is are people that likes how the windows works on WPS, it will remain the same. For example, I don't think that XWorkplace changes dramatically the OS/2 WPS Warp 4 experience, it only adds more options to the one that wants it.

But for example, I wrote about on "Recommendation #3 – GUI – The Navigator." I think that what I call "the Navigator" (to not call it file explorer) is now the default way to surf files of a PC OS. It can be interesting to have the option to manage the OS windows that way too, like we have the "tree view" or the "details view". (not exclusively, only the option for the on who likes it that way).

Plus there are many other good GUI ideas on other OSes that are not invasive, that it should do no harm to try to put them on OS2-eCS.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 01:18:53 am »

* The article doesn't mention Piano Launchpad

* WPS Copy/Move project is under construction. We should find the investors.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 04:27:17 am »
Hi Eugene.

Like we discussed on the past I'm only interested on open source software.
Maybe you can put on other thread that you are looking for investors and how much money do you require to make "WPS Copy/Move project" open source.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 12:51:26 pm »
I wrote my own proposal for a UI development plan in 2012, which references some of Martin's ideas.

http://www.altsan.org/os2/eComStation_UI_2012.pdf
http://www.altsan.org/os2/eComStation_UI_2012.odt