Author Topic: ECS machine can not see Windows 7 drive  (Read 10673 times)

Mike La Martina

• View Profile
ECS machine can not see Windows 7 drive
« on: July 23, 2015, 10:06:36 pm »
I have an ECS 2.2 beta machine, an XP machine and a Windows 7 machine on the same network.
I am sharing my ECS drives via the File-Print client.  I am using NetBios over TCP/IP.
My Windows XP machine can share drives with ECS machine.
My ECS machine can share drives with my XP machine.
My Windows 7 machine can see the shared drives on both the XP and ECS machines.
However neither my XP machine nor my ECS machine can access the shared drive on my Win 7 machine.
This is not an operational difficulty since I can always use the Win 7 machine to access the other machines, but is an asymmetry that I do not understand.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: ECS machine can not see Windows 7 drive
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 12:50:49 am »
Is your win 7 machine on the same workgroup?  Win 7 does not use the old default 'workgroup' for some reason whereas XP does as does eCS.  If memory serves it is a PITA to change win 7 network group to 'workgroup'.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 01:25:38 am »
If memory serves it is a PITA to change win 7 network group to 'workgroup'.

I wouldn't use "workgroup" anyway, but it seems to be easy to change. Go to Control panel-> System. The Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings are shown. On the right side is and option to Change settings. System properties opens, click on the Change button, and fill in the blanks (what you need should be obvious). A couple of OKs, and a reboot, should do the job.

Personally, I find it easy to get Win7 (Home, and Pro) to connect to SAMBA in eCS. Trying to connect to Win7, using EVFSGUI is a PITA, but it can be done. I just don't bother, and do it the other way.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 02:11:36 am »
I have an ECS 2.2 beta machine, an XP machine and a Windows 7 machine on the same network.
I am sharing my ECS drives via the File-Print client.  I am using NetBios over TCP/IP.
My Windows XP machine can share drives with ECS machine.
My ECS machine can share drives with my XP machine.
My Windows 7 machine can see the shared drives on both the XP and ECS machines.
However neither my XP machine nor my ECS machine can access the shared drive on my Win 7 machine.
This is not an operational difficulty since I can always use the Win 7 machine to access the other machines, but is an asymmetry that I do not understand.

First try,

If you dont have any other Win7 pc's kill homegroup.

Open Computer, highlight homegroup / right mouse / change homegroup settings / leave homegroup

Right click on folder to share, share with => specific people

Check to see if Win7 changed in EVFSGUI if not

Then,

http://www.eracc.com/content/ecs-samba-client-windows-7-professional

Also, http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

I have it working with a combo of the above, but like Doug said it's PITA  I'm upgrading to Win 7 x64, so I'll post instrutions from a new install soon.

Greggory
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:20:55 am by Greggory Shaw »

Mike La Martina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 03:29:16 am »
This seems needlessly complicated.
When I enter the Homegroup command on the start menu I get a message that says there is no homegroup on this network.
When I use the net view command from a cmd line in ECS I get SYS0050. 
My WORKGROUP is IBMPEERS which I use with no problem from XP.
I have been using this since the Warp days.
Thanks for the ideas.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 04:20:41 am »

When I enter the Homegroup command on the start menu I get a message that says there is no homegroup on this network.

Win7 => Start menu => click on computer => highlight Homegroup => right mouse / change homegroup settings / leave homegroup

How are you entering a command ? Ok, no homegroup

DID you CHANGE:

Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers

and rebooted since Microsoft's crap requires a reboot for that.

Focus on XP first, should work ?

Did you go through every step here first ?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

Other ideas.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/sharing-files-between-a-windows-xp-pc-and-a/86ad5a72-19db-4dab-8040-802fb585673b
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:28:17 am by Greggory Shaw »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 01:53:45 pm »
Hi Mike,

Since everything works between your eCS box and XP box it appears that it the win 7 box that has the problem.

You do need to check that the workgroup/domain setting in win 7 is set to IBMPEERS because if it is anything else win 7 will treat it as a different workgroup on the network and will not let that workgroup connect to its homegroup - hence the need to remove homegroup from win 7.

Since Greggory is going to set up a win 7 box I will leave it to him to give the specific requirements for the lan settings (saves me from trying to borrow a win 7 box to check - we are all WSeB here).

Mike La Martina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 03:48:04 pm »
Thanks for all the input.  I will try everything suggested and report back.