Author Topic: Simple scanner for IP addresses on local network  (Read 13926 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Simple scanner for IP addresses on local network
« on: June 21, 2015, 02:53:49 am »
Hi All,

A friend asked me if there was an OS/2 equivalent to the windows Netscan by SoftPerfect.  That is a GUI in which you put the start  and end IP addresses hit start scan and it scans the network and lists all IP and MAC addresses it finds along with a lot of other information if you want it.  He uses this at the moment on a win XP VM under VirtualPC for OS/2 but would like something that gives the information without having to start the VM. 

Netscan does not run under Odin, even when you copy over the missing DLLs from win XP. 

Is there such a program for OS/2 or could something be cobbled together using some scripts?

David McKenna

• View Profile
Re: Simple scanner for IP addresses on local network
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 06:18:02 am »
 General Network Utilities http://en.ecomstation.ru/projects/gnu/ has an ARPScan function that does what you describe.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 11:44:22 am »
Have you tried LanScan? I've it on my disk but the link mentioned in the inf http://ecomstation.ru/lanscan/ does not work anymore.

A very simple IP scanner is f.i. ping 192.168.1.255 :) But especially Win machines do not respond some times.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:46:28 am by Andi B. »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 01:37:36 pm »
Thanks David but since there appears to be no way of downloading anything to see if it does what he wants I can't say that it would do the job.  We use ARP to check what has used our servers but all it does is read the local arp table , it does not scan the network for IPs out there that have not 'called in'.

Andi, I think they have rolled that into the GNU that David mentioned.  Ping does assume you know the IP address before you can use it - if that is unknown then you can't.

The reason my friend is looking for an OS/2 replacement for Netscan is that he uses it to check if and when those renting his holiday apartments are on the network - those he has given access codes to are no problem it is those that try and hack the system he is concerned about.  With Netscan giving the MAC address he is able to block those non authorised users (he had one guy a couple of years ago that brought the network to it's knees by downloading so many torrents at once that no one else could get on to the internet).

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 01:51:02 pm »
Ping does assume you know the IP address before you can use it - if that is unknown then you can't.
Not if you use the broadcast address. AFAIR .255 is broadcast. My machines all answers on such a ping. .0 seems to work similar.

David McKenna

• View Profile

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 02:06:16 pm »
Andi, I tried that last night and only got our managed switch (xxx.xxx.xxx.0) or our WAN modem (xxx.xxx.xxx.255).

Thanks David.  I passed that on to him and just got an e-mail in which he says it only shows about half of what is on the network compared to the results he gets with Netscan.

He also sent me the URL for Angry IP Scanner which appears to be a java app but there is no generic jar file and the linux one does not work with anything I have here.

Thanks for the help.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 06:31:17 pm »
Hi

It seems to me that IP Angry Scanner requires SWT/Eclipse libraries, and seems to be compiled with OpenJDK 7 (we only have to 6).

java -jar ipscan-mac-3.3.3.jar
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cannot load 64-bit SWT libraries on 32-bit JVM
        at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.swt.internal.C.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
        at net.azib.ipscan.Main.main(Main.java:52)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 12:26:18 am »
Thanks Martin, that would explain why it didn't work with anything I have here.

dbanet

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 08:50:19 am »
I just don't quite get, why do you use SoftPerfect NetScan (which I hear the very first time of), which seems to be Windows-only, instead of nmap?
Why doesn't nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/16 or like fit your needs?

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 12:59:51 pm »
That might be fine but I can't find an OS/2 port of <b>nmap.</b>  Do you have one you can tell me where to download from?

My friend used Netscan because he used to use windows and when I set him up with OS/2 we used a VM to run winXP for those programs that weren't available on OS/2 at the time.  Now, Netscan is the only program we haven't been able to find a native OS/2 program, or port, for.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 05:45:56 pm »
I'm pretty sure there is an old port of nmap (or similar) around but I've been trying to remember about it since this thread started with no luck  :(

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 07:32:18 pm »
I occasionally use Portscanner (Portscanner 1.8 1997,1998 Ralf Christen)

Package is called prtscn18.zip  http://www.os2site.com/sw/internet/misc/prtscn18.zip
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:38:03 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners