Author Topic: Lenovo ThinkCentre  (Read 8276 times)

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
Lenovo ThinkCentre
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:28:31 pm »
Most new Lenovo ThinkCentre pc's available locally come with Intel DH graphics 2500 and Realtek RTL8111E.
Does anyone have experience with these?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Lenovo ThinkCentre
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 06:02:16 pm »
Most new Lenovo ThinkCentre pc's available locally come with Intel DH graphics 2500 and Realtek RTL8111E.
Does anyone have experience with these?

My Lenovo ThinkPad L530 has a RTL8168evl/8111evl NIC (same as what you quote, I think. Windows says  Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller). It has some problems. Multimac, and GENMAC, will not run it successfully. It does work with the older RTGNDA driver, but not perfectly. In fact, it even has a problem in windows, if I try to transfer large amounts of data (40 GB or more) through it (the indication is that it overheats, and starts to cause errors). The good news is that the problem with Multimac is under investigation. Whether that means it will get fixed is another question.

I don't know about that specific video chipset, but Panorama seems to handle Intel video very well. The L530 has an Intel HD 4000 chipset, and Panorama 1.04 is great. The only "problem" is that Doodle's Screen Saver can't turn the screen off, which is probably a combination of ACPI, DSS, and Panorama, all missing some code to do it. On a desktop, you can use the switch to turn the screen off. Can't do that on a laptop, but DSS will go to screen saver mode.

HTH...

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 11:44:47 pm »
Found a model with Intel 82579, but it's not listed as supported by Multimac.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 05:57:34 pm »
Found a model with Intel 82579, but it's not listed as supported by Multimac.

My guess would be that that is just another variant of the same thing. You would need to get the PCI information (something like [8086:1502]) to be sure. According to the web page at: http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086 the 82579LM is an [8086:1502], which is listed as supported. Unfortunately, the only way to know, for sure, is to try it yourself. The good part is, that Intel seems to be pretty consistent about building hardware, so there is a good chance that it will work with Multimac.