Author Topic: Drupal, apache2 and php5  (Read 8546 times)

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
Drupal, apache2 and php5
« on: June 25, 2015, 03:29:10 pm »
Hi,

Apache2 and php5 seem to run fine so I thought I'd give Drupal a try. Installation works until it starts claiming about a missing directory and a couple of files and it states it cannot created them. I have verified that the directory and files do exist where they're supposed to. Believe this has to do with a conf-file or possibly php.ini, the settings in them are all new to me, and a simple google takes me to "answers" for other OS. (Which for a newbie confuses the situation even more.)
This is only a test setup on "localhost" so I wonder if any of you can tell me what to change where in order to allow Drupal full read/write access to necessary directories.

Per

gamba

Re: Drupal, apache2 and php5
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 04:23:43 pm »
Hi Per,

try to set "read-only" the directories Drupal is complaining about.

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 07:20:18 pm »
Hi Gabriele,

I've experimented with folder properties, but no, it won't work.
These are the errors messages:

File system   
The directory sites/default/files does not exist. An automated attempt to create this directory failed, possibly due to a permissions problem. To proceed with the installation, either create the directory and modify its permissions manually or ensure that the installer has the permissions to create it automatically.

Default settings file   The default settings file does not exist.
The Drupal installer requires that the ./sites/default/default.settings.php file not be modified in any way from the original download.

Settings file   The settings file does not exist.
The Drupal installer requires that you create a settings file as part of the installation process. Copy the ./sites/default/default.settings.php file to ./sites/default.

All the directories and files do exist, so I believe that httpd.conf or php.ini is blocking access.

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:07:57 pm »
Well, somehow I got the installation to complete. Don't really know what enabled it, did a lot of moving/deleting/recreating folders and files and restarted the installation several times.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 11:55:46 pm »
Both PHP and Drupal are completely useless.

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 02:44:40 am »
Right now I'm not able to tell how it is compared to Joomla (which I have used a few times), but I'd like to know why you state both php and Drupal as useless. Yes, I noticed the illustration but a "steep learning curve" doesn't explain "useless". My experience with something that is hard to learn is that you benefit in the end.

dbanet

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 06:22:53 am »
Drupal 7 works on OS/2 flawlessly.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 01:58:22 pm »
Both PHP and Drupal are completely useless.

Perhaps a bit unfair, the performance of Drupal is in most cases better than other PHP based applications and the structure of 7 is slightly better than previous versions. Feels like a rocket compared to Joomla.

Having said that I stopped using Drupal at version 6 due to the text handling bug (which is more of a PHP bug really), it was just too weird to use a text processing tool that did not correctly process text ...

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 02:26:40 pm »
Developers' salary around those "user-friendly" languages is a nightmare.
And performance isn't fine too...

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 02:32:20 pm »
Right now I'm not able to tell how it is compared to Joomla (which I have used a few times), but I'd like to know why you state both php and Drupal as useless. Yes, I noticed the illustration but a "steep learning curve" doesn't explain "useless". My experience with something that is hard to learn is that you benefit in the end.
In general the good thing about Drupal is the modularity, you only use what you need and thus get a better performance vis a vis Joomla but still have as good or even possibly better availability of reasonably robust add on modules. Lots of available books and web support as well.

It has a lot of quirks though that make learning it a highly annoying experience and what you learn is not applicable to anything else, and the performance gains are relative to other PHP based applications. Structure of the program also changed quite a bit between 6 and 7 making older books less useful than they were.

PHP processing of any kind can be painfully slow with some language features being downright glacial, I have seen my old dual core server die handling as little as 11 "almost simultaneous" requests at a time and a rented quad core with plenty of memory wasting well over 80% CPU time on 12 "almost simultaneous" requests, in both cases done by myself by simply opening up a web browser with 12 open tabs.

An often overlooked PHP based alternative is Typo3, which is structured much better than the alternatives even if it does not have as many available add-on  modules and some of those only currently available in German, but the better thought out structure makes the learning curve a lot more agreeable than Drupal's. The only real downside it has is that the Danish fundie that started the project sprinkles the source code with Christian propaganda, which can get irritating when you are bug hunting. (https://typo3.org/)

Another PHP based alternative is TikiWiki, despite the name a full CMS rather than just a wiki (http://info.tiki.org), much easier to learn than the others and very fully featured but can be very buggy due to an almost insane development pace and can be bog slow as well if you have all features enabled.

Frankly, all those PHP programs make me appreciate how good and relatively fast the combination of GoServe and REXX was back in the early - mid 90's (http://speleotrove.com/memowiki/MemoWiki.html)

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 02:34:06 pm »
Developers' salary around those "user-friendly" languages is a nightmare.

that makes sense, PHP is very easy to learn, meaning more people can acquire the skills needed and therefore the skills being worth less