Author Topic: H.P. 2025 need help Per!  (Read 23686 times)

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
Re: H.P. 2025 need help Per!
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 01:46:36 am »
Older firmware on mine: 20081216

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 05:08:06 am »
Hi klipp

Looks like the linux cups support for the hp 2025dn requires the hplip package see http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/color_laserjet/hp_color_laserjet_cp2025dn.html

However, if using the cups cp2020 delivers a test page then it should work fine - with the possibility that the 2025 printers capability may not be fully supported.

Possible cause of failure to print from Seamonkey/Openoffice through the OS/2 Desktop printer to cups - with the apps crashing/exiting - is a DLL file mismatch or missing DLL file(s). I suggest making sure that you do not have older/incorrect copies of DLL files hanging around.

You could use a "dependancy checker" such as pmdll -  http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/system/pmdll-2.11.zip  - to see if you have any missing/not found (ie not on libpath) DLLs reported.

Another possibility is that something went wrong when cupswiz was creating the Desktop Printer Object - but this seems less likely as you had the same problem when you manually created The Desktop Printer Object previously on a different system.

I have not used cupswiz for a while but do not remember it installing 2 printers to select from. Maybe something did go wrong there...

You could use prndrv.exe -  http://www.os2site.com/sw/comm/faxworks/prndrv.exe  - to check what printer(s) cupswiz has set up and delete any unwanted bits.

Hope something above helps

Pete

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 01:32:58 pm »
I wonder if it's significant that Windows (from what you posted) seems to be printing through IPP instead of LPR...

To get more information about the crash, it's best to look at your POPUPLOG.OS2.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 01:31:26 am »
Looks like Pete is right (as usual)! But rather then look for old DLL's I set up on another clean machine -- no printers! Doing http://localhoct:631 and "looking for Available Printers" gave these two Identical results:

Add this printer:HP Color LaserJet CP2025dn (HP Color LaserJet CP2025dn
Add this printer:HP Color LaserJet CP2025dn (HP Color LaserJet CP2025dn

They look identical, but when you click on them the connection is different:
USB:/HP/HP%20Color%20LaserJet%20CP2025dn?serial=00CNGS467706
socket://192.168.1.140
Using the first and setting up with the 2025.ppd, printing a test page almost works, it hangs "processing page 2"
Doing the same but using the 2020.ppd it works fine and produces a "test page" printed on both sides
Using the socket it does the same, prints a test page with printing on both sides of the page.

Creating a printer object with cupswiz works fine but trying to use either of these objects to print with apparently crashes the program as it immeadiatly returns to the desktop, killing whatever program was trying to print.

Frustrated, I then attached the other machines on the Lan and they were able to print the Test Pages from the host machine. So it looks like CUPS is functioning correctly its just not possible to create a functional printer object.

its also werid that Cups finds two different printers to install, I don't understand that either!

Thats it for now, hopefully more tomorrow     klipp

ooh, and Alex, popup.log tells me nothing I can make sense of, if you want I'll post it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 01:35:29 am by R.M. Klippstein »

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 03:58:11 am »
POPUPLOG.OS2 would probably help (only the corresponding entries, please!) but I suspect I may know what's happening.

The most likely cause of the crash is that the PPD is either too large, or contains some data item which is too large, to be successfully imported into the driver.  Unfortunately this is an increasingly-common problem with modern PPDs.  The program that imports them, PIN, was written for an age when a typical PPD was around 10-50 KB in size and had a fairly simple format.  Nowadays it's common to encounter PPDs in the hundreds of KB and with extremely complex contents, and PIN just can't cope.  (I and others have tried to incorporate some fixes into PIN over the years, but it's really running up against architectural limitations.  It's an exceptionally badly written program to begin with, with fixed-size buffers and no built-in validity checking.)

I suggest you change the desktop printer object's driver to the built-in 'Generic PostScript (Enhanced)' and see if you have better luck with that.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 12:39:36 am »
Hi klipp

I do not think that cups is finding 2 printers:-

They look identical, but when you click on them the connection is different:
USB:/HP/HP%20Color%20LaserJet%20CP2025dn?serial=00CNGS467706
socket://192.168.1.140

What it looks like it is finding is 2 *Connections* - Did you have it USB and (W)LAN connected?

The cups test page seems to be designed to confuse people: There is only 1 page so why cups often reports "Processing page 2..." I do not know.

Have you installed the current hplip software? If not I will take a guess that printing failed when using the 2025.ppd because hplip is required - but I could be wrong.

With regard to selecting the printer PPD file: Make sure you select the version with "Simplified" in the filename as these tend to work better with pscript.drv and, in my limited experience, with psprint.drv from Alex.

Are you using pscript.drv? - If "Yes" maybe you want to try adding the PPD file to psprint.drv instead - see http://www.altsan.org/os2/printing - and create your Desktop printer in the hope that will "cure" some problems printing from OS/2 apps. If you try this work through the instructions in the Readme carefully.

As for your remark "Looks like Pete is right (as usual)!" I will let you argue that with my wife who has a slightly different opinion  ;-)

Regards

Pete

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 08:01:54 pm »
Hi Pete, Boy, the more I screw with this the more "Screwed UP" I get! Yeah, i finally figured out it was not listing two different printers, just two options for setting up the installed printer. Both work as far as printing a Cups Test Page.
Now I'm trying to setup the hplip-3_12_10a.wpi which installed in D:\ecs\install\PRNDRV\ecups-hp, but I can't remember how I get access to the .ppd files embedded in that directory. I guess I have to use PIN? I used to use that a long time ago but can't seem to make it work now --- can you "enlighten " me a little?
Also, Alex recommended I try using "Generic Postscript (enhanced), which I also can't find, is that possibly in the hplip drivers? And is that also where to find the "Simplified" version you mentioned?

Thanks for you're help & patience.  klipp

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 10:58:49 pm »
Hi klipp

Starting from the bottom and working back up your list:-

When creating a cups printer using the cups browser interface you select Make and Model. During this procedure you should get offered a choice of 2 printer drivers eg:-

HP Business Inkjet 2250 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10(en)
HP Business Inkjet 2250 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10 Simplified (en)

The "Simplified" version seems to work best for adding to pscript.drv or psprint.drv

However, if the PPD file is supplied in the hplip package I have no idea if the above applies...

If I remember correctly the Generic Postscript driver is a "Printer" included in pscript.drv; I suspect that it is also in psprint.drv

I guess you are a little stuck with trying to remember the arcane enchantments used to get pin.exe to do anything useful  :-)

Well, I have some news for you: More than pin.exe is required.

For a pretty good set of prepared instructions that work get the psprint.drv package from http://www.altsan.org/os2/printing and read the Readme - especially the section called:-
 Importing PPD Files

I certainly cannot improve on those instructions - and, as mentioned previously, you may want to give this postscript driver a try at some point as it works well and cures problems printing from OpenOffice v4 here.

With regard to hplip: I have never installed or used this software so cannot offer any specific setup advice. Hopefully all will be fairly straightforward.

I think that to use any PPD file included with hplip you would need to click the "Browse" button during cups printer Creation/Modification to navigate to the directory with the PPD files in. Then select your desired PPD file.

Hope the above is of help

Pete

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 09:07:36 pm »
Although it would be nice to have it working with Cups, I keep wondering why it won't work with SLPR.
Suspect that the printer job is not sent to the printer at all, but if that's a problem with SLPR itself or your network setup I have no idea.
Since you did a new install of eCS I guess it shouldn't be trouble with ini-files either.

Ideas anyone?

(I have the same printer working fine using output port SLPR under eCS 2.1, beta 2.2 and an old RC7 installation.)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 02:15:31 am »
Hi Per, I gotta agree with you, I just found this post in Ecomstation,ru on page 8 of Hardware,Printers -where James J. Weinkam states "The CP2025 supports both PCL and Postscript. This specific model is not included in the Laserjet and Postscript drivers shipped with eCS 2.0 GA. However selecting HP Color Laserjet 9500 works fine with both drivers once they are configured to use the features actually available on the printer" He stated this Jan 22,2011 and rated the printer "Very Good" which I believe is probably the same rating you would apply. I'm guessing he was using CUPS but for sure about that. I wish there was some way of communicating with him.
  But one thing is for sure now, two people have had excellent results using this Excellent Printer with OS/2, which also says The problem lies with me rather than the printer. This is pretty embarresing for me, as I'm not exactly a "Newbie" using OS/2, I've been using it for 33 years now but obviously have very limited knowledge about Printers. I'm now still using an ancient (like me) Xerox Phaser 3110 laser printer that has served me faithfully for somewhere around 10 years, but is slowly dieing from old age and overuse. This ancient warrior also would not work with USB and also would have nothing to do with CUPs  but preformed flawlessly with a SAMSUNG_GDIDRV for all these years. This printer should not take a "Bad Rap" because of my ignorance, Hopefully with all the advice I've received from you, Alex, Pete and others, sometime (hopefully in the near future) I'll get my "Ducks all in a row" and be able to describe how I eventually made this printer work. If I am ever able to do this, I will post a Detailed desriptive "How-To" on my web site.
   Thanks againt to all for all the help    klipp

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 05:37:26 am »
Hi again,

James J. Weinkam seems to be a member of os2world so you can search for his profile and send him a message.  Googled his name and got some indications that he still is around in the community.

Per

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 09:23:53 am »
Also, Alex recommended I try using "Generic Postscript (enhanced), which I also can't find, is that possibly in the hplip drivers? And is that also where to find the "Simplified" version you mentioned?

The driver I referred to is NOT part of CUPS, it is in the PSPRINT driver for your desktop printer object.  See the attached screenshots.  You will probably have to install the driver (the second picture shows where to find it if you're using my PM Printer Manager, but the corresponding window in the standard OS/2 printer setup dialogs looks almost identical).
  • If you have PM Printer Manager (printman.exe) then go to the Drivers page and select 'Install'.
  • If you use the standard OS/2 dialogs only, go to the Printer Driver page as seen in the first screenshot, right-click on any driver icon and choose 'Install (new driver)".
In either case, enter the directory where you unpacked the PSPRINT driver files and in the 'other printer driver' selection. Then look for 'Generic Postscript (Enhanced)' (this is NOT the same as 'Generic Postscript Printer').  Alternatively, if James's report is to be believed, you could look for 'HP Color LaserJet 9500 PS' and try that one instead.

Note:
From everything you've described, your CUPS settings do not need to be changed, the CUPS component is working correctly as it is. Don't try to mess with them for the time being. The problem is almost certainly in the OS/2 printer object.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 09:34:38 am by Alex Taylor »

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 02:37:48 am »
Alex! You are indeed a GENIUS!ยก (but I think you already know that!)
The Generic Postscript Printer (Enhanced) works like a charm. Using you're procedure it actually installed a Printer Object for both USB (which I'm testing now) and a Printer Object for CUPS which I'll get to later. Additionally I'll see if Per's configuration also works.
 Gotta give up for now, too many hours gwalking & swearing at this computer. More details tomorrow or the next day.
I owe you Big Time Alex for you're continued efforts to help me,

Thanks again   klipp

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 01:08:33 am »
Time to end this topic, Thanks again for all the help. -- Per, with Alex's "Generic Postscript (Enhanced)" driver the printer also works as you described using SLPR. I've written a "HowTo" for installing as a USB Printer, If anybody's interested its posted at http://www.os2-ecs-mexico.com/indexVBox2.html under the heading "Miscellaneous Stuff & Information". As soon as I get CUPS ppd working I'll add that also.
and Per, Thanks again for "tipping me off" about this printer.

klipp

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2015, 06:07:53 pm »
Hi klipp

Can I have your permission to re-post your quick article on the OS2World wiki?

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.