Author Topic: windows 7 does not see os/2 device  (Read 25916 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: windows 7 does not see os/2 device
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 10:10:46 pm »
Things look good from the end.

You might make sure that the Windows 7 machine has workgroup, userid and password set the you think they should be.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

amenu

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 07:29:11 pm »
Here is where I am at. I am able to see the folders and files on two laptops but not my main laptop (THINK) . The two laptops are an XP installed one and a Win 7 installed one. I have duplicated as best I can the settings of the Win 7 one on THINK but no joy. When I attempt to see the folders on THINK I don't get an error message but no window opens showing the folders. The only explanation that comes to mind is that the two laptops that I can see don't have a lot of software on them, whereas THINK is chock full, probably folders in the thousands not to mention files. Could it be that OS/2 cannot handle that many folders/files? Beats me.

I'm off on vacation to Toronto (catch a couple Blue Jays games while there--are there any baseball fans on this forum?) and will be away from the home computers for the next ten days. But unless some inspiration strikes, I think I'll give up on networking TOBOPEEP with THINK. It is not something I need. I just like things to work!

Thanks to everyone for the good suggestions. As I move back into the OS/2 world I will no doubt call upon your expertise again.

Arthur

amenu

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 06:10:30 am »
Hi everyone,

Back from vacation. I had not planned to pursue trying to access folders/files on my Win 7 THINK laptop, but I thought an extra bit of data might elicit insight from forum members. After starting Samba on my eCS TOBOPEEP computer, I then open the network connections folder and then "File and Directory Connections (Samba)" .  This then opens a dialogue to enter a username and  password. Whatever username and password I enter I get an error message about a bad network name. I have attached a jpg that shows the error message when I use the "guest" username but the same message appears when I use the username I was given when I got the computer ("ecsuser"). Perhaps  this information in addition to the information I have provided in previous messages will click with someone out there.
-- Arthur

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 11:02:42 am »
Hi everyone,

Back from vacation. I had not planned to pursue trying to access folders/files on my Win 7 THINK laptop, but I thought an extra bit of data might elicit insight from forum members. After starting Samba on my eCS TOBOPEEP computer, I then open the network connections folder and then "File and Directory Connections (Samba)" .  This then opens a dialogue to enter a username and  password. Whatever username and password I enter I get an error message about a bad network name. I have attached a jpg that shows the error message when I use the "guest" username but the same message appears when I use the username I was given when I got the computer ("ecsuser"). Perhaps  this information in addition to the information I have provided in previous messages will click with someone out there.
-- Arthur

What plugin version do you have installed ?

You need this to connect to Win 7 shares per the Samba site page: ndpsmb-2_2_0-Beta4-20140226.wpi

and here's another way to do it:
http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=819.msg7888#msg7888

http://os2notes.duckdns.org/os2win.html

Greggory

Also from the pics you posted, both computers need to be in the same workgroup (see attached pic).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:12:15 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 05:46:36 pm »
It is somewhat important to remember that when trying to use Win 7 shares that the password used is the one for the Win 7 machine. I think you created the same password for every machine, but it really makes no difference what your password is on the eCS machine.

Where does it say that you need a beta SAMBA client plug-in to connect to Win 7?

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 08:51:15 pm »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:57:16 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 02:42:33 am »
OK, I'll update Suntan Special next week when I get back from vacation. I don't use Win 7, so 2.1.5 was always good enough. I sure hope the really bad bugs are also fixed in 2.2.

Edit: It's updated now. I tested the beta for the worst bugs, and found it to be clean.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:56:11 pm by Neil Waldhauer »