Author Topic: windows 7 does not see os/2 device  (Read 25909 times)

amenu

windows 7 does not see os/2 device
« on: July 22, 2015, 02:52:11 am »
Hi everyone,

I am a new member. I joined because I have a specific problem that I thought members might help me with. I recently obtained a computer from Neil Waldhauer with eCS 2.2 beta preinstalled. It also has the Samba server preinstalled. I have been trying without success to have this computer (name of computer: TOBOPEEP) join the workgroup that my Win 7 computers are networked to. All devices are connected by ethernet cable to my router. At first I thought it might be a Samba problem but I am now thinking there is something odd with Win 7. For example, when I open Windows Explorer and select the network, the icons for my various devices jump around, appear and disappear erratically. They did not use to do this, and I am wondering if the addition of TOBOPEEP may have affected Win 7. TOBOPEEP is listed in my router's list of network devices. I can FTP to TOBOPEEP from my main Win 7 laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad 510 named: THINK) using Filezilla and FTP from TOBOPEEP to THINK. The name of my Win 7 workgroup is MENUHOME. I have made that the default workgroup name for my Samba workgroup.

I have attached some jpg files to provide relevant information. The files are screen captures as follows:
-- a partial list of devices on my local network displayed by my router
-- the Win 7 network settings I have selected
-- net share data
-- two images: what I see when I try to connect to THINK using Samba on TOBOPEEP. The icon for THINK is displayed but any attempt to open it as a drive on TOBOPEEP results in an empty drive folder and a message that the named object cannot be found.

There you have it. You know as much as I do. Any thoughts?

Arthur

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
Re: windows 7 does not see os/2 device
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 03:42:55 am »
http://www.eracc.com/content/ecs-samba-client-windows-7-professional

I don't remember the Samba server being installed /w eCS 2.2 only the client ???  Anyone else?

Either way I have a working server after a lot trial & error, I'll try and find my notes. I just restated it after 5mo. so pretty stable after you piece it together.

Greggory

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:13:56 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 01:35:41 pm »
Did you also read the manual on the DVD you got with the system. Its the eCS 2.2 quickguide that has a section in it on networking.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 04:12:02 pm »
Samba Server is not installed with eCS 2.2 beta 2, but it is installed on my eCS preloaded systems.

The Quick Guide doesn't really address users and has a link that looks like it went out of date.

I always use usernames and passwords for my networking. Can Windows and SAMBA work without them, as Arthur is asking?

Another thought is about name resolution. Arthur: do the Windows machines know Tobopeep by name, or just by IP address? It looks like you've got some kind of name resolution configured. Personally, I just use the hosts file on each machine.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 05:11:22 pm »
Well, the title says, "windows 7 does not see os/2 device"

- From the pic (Captured002-server.jpg) the ecs server is not running.

That's the ecs client in the pic not the server, so post the server settings.

Start the Simple Samba Configuration Center (global section) or Samba Status Monitor (damons) & post that.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:21:32 am by Greggory Shaw »

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 05:51:19 pm »
Neil,

What setup (server) are you using ?

I'm using 3.5.21-1.20-20130911.zip

smbclut 12 beta10

smbmon 25rc8

Greggory

amenu

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 04:52:44 am »
Windows 7 does not see TOBOPEEP on the network. In Windows Explorer when I open the network and put either \\TOBOPEEP or \\192.168.1.64 (TOBOPEEP's IP address) in the search field, neither is discovered.

I have as Greggory requested attached an image of the Simple Samba Configuration Center.

Tomorrow my wife and I travel to Seattle to watch the Blue Jays-Mariners games this weekend, back on Tuesday. I'll have access to the internet, so can read this forum but will not have access to TOBOPEEP. I will have access to THINK, my Win 7 laptop, by means of Teamviewer remote control.

Arthur

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 03:55:48 pm »
When you get a chance, please show us the Samba Status Monitor, Daemons screen so we can see if Samba is running.

Tobopeep has PMVNC server installed, so if you start that, you will be able to remote control Tobopeep, too.

amenu

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 07:46:47 am »
Hi Neil,

I have attached the status info you asked for.

One change: Windows 7 now sees sees TOBOPEEP in its network map. When I try to open TOBOPEEP from Windows I cannot and when Windows diagnoses the problem it gives the following message:

"The device or resource (TOBOPEEP) is not set up to accept connections on port 'The file and printer sharing (SMB)' ".

Arthur

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 09:03:15 am »
While perhaps not relevant, I saw this posted, http://www.os2museum.com/wp/lan-manager-vs-windows-7/

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 12:28:33 am »
Well, Arthur, it looks like SAMBA is not started. Try the "Start SAMBA server" icon and see if the status changes to "running". Once SAMBA is running, the shares may be visible to both OS/2 and Windows.

Nice information, Dave, about getting IBM File and Print Client to work with Windows 7.

amenu

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 12:41:52 am »
Okay, Neil, I've started Samba as you suggested. Then I tried mounting my Win 7 THINK laptop with all kinds of combinations of usernames and passwords. I had previously created an account on Win 7 with the same username and password as on TOBOPEEP. I don't remember which combination produced this result but I can how see and access files on TOBOPEEP from my THINK laptop. However, so far it does not work the other way around. I can't open folders or files on THINK from TOBOPEEP. Any suggestions? Maybe if I wait long enough it will happen!  :)

Arthur

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 04:59:04 am »
I think you see Tobopeep (eCS 2.2b2) now from Windows 7 because the Samba Server is running.

I hope that this article on networking, which was in the first reply, will help get sharing to work.

http://www.eracc.com/content/ecs-samba-client-windows-7-professional

To Gregory, I'm using Version 3.3.16-eCS 1.1.4-804. I'm testing Samba 4, which has not been released yet.

amenu

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 07:34:33 am »
I've set up Windows as per the instructions. I have tried to set up eCS/Samba as I understand the instructions. I still cannot see folders/files on the MENUHOME workgroup Windows computers.

I have attached some images of the way I have set up Samba. You may spot something that needs changing. FYI the Windows 7 laptop I use (with which I am writing this message) is named THINK. The laptop my wife uses is T500. I have set up two administrator accounts on THINK: "Arthur" and "ecsuser". "Ecsuser" is also the name of the user account on TOBOPEEP. The password for both "ecsuser" accounts is the same. The "captured-empty-folder.jpg" image shows the result when I try to open the mounted drive to see the folders/files it contains. Note the error message.

I have Windows 10 ready to be installed on my laptops. I am wondering if I should hold off until we settle this network problem with Windows 7 or install Windows 10 in the hope that it will either solve or not worsen the problem. What would you advise, keeping in mind that if I do install Win 10, given Microsoft's track record with new Windows versions, I might need a week or two just to get Windows 10 working for me well enough to return to this network problem? Also I will be on vacation away from home starting next Tuesday for two weeks. So if we don't fix this within the next five days, it will be a while before I can get back to it.

Arthur

dbanet

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 05:51:55 pm »
The status bar in your last picture shows the error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED which most likely indicates your Windows client is not properly configured, unless you can access its shares from elsewhere.

Check all those dumb settings (that become more dumb each new Windows version), like "home, corporate or public network", "remote access setup wizards" and so on (I really do not remember, don't want to recall and I'm glad I and don't have to). Just google something like "share access denied windows 7" and you are very likely to get lots of solution articles.