Author Topic: Firefox 31.8.0 Beta 5 - First Impressions  (Read 71083 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Firefox 31.8.0 Beta 5 - First Impressions
« on: July 24, 2015, 07:40:41 pm »
Hi

Firefox 31.8.0 Beta 5 is working very good for the moment. It is running very stable.

My only issue is that the special characters stuff are not supported yet (like Github page), just like in the older firefox.

Will it make sense to try firefox marketplace? Are those OS independent apps ? will it run on OS/2?

Everybody is welcome to share the first impressions... if you find an ugly bug, report it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Firefox 31.8.0 Beta 5 - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:36:52 pm »
Looks good to me (so far).

I have created a WarpIn installer, which you will find at HOBBES incoming, and at Netlabs. Please READ the text, when you install it.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:08:48 pm »
I get this error

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 10:10:42 pm »
Can't install add-ons, my locale switcher doesn't work, the nl.xpi can't be installed. Tried to install an other add-on from mozilla add-ons, but no success. It ends that there is an error. Can't do much with it.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 01:37:36 am »
Can't install add-ons, my locale switcher doesn't work, the nl.xpi can't be installed. Tried to install an other add-on from mozilla add-ons, but no success. It ends that there is an error. Can't do much with it.

Looks like a profile problem. Test with a new one, firefox.exe -profilemanager

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 03:03:47 am »

Looks like a profile problem. Test with a new one, firefox.exe -profilemanager
Has nothing to do with a new profile. FF checked installed ones and the nl.xpi was rejected because its for a lower version, that's logic and right. So nothing wrong there. I had downloaded the new one, open files new xpi and there the problem arise. Also I found that one add-on which was not rejected was not in the menu. So there is more going on than a profile with nothing more than databases. This is on program level something wrong. I removed the stuff and tried to install an update, but the program could not be installed, also an other complete new program had same problems, such program is not registered in the profile, so an older can't stay in the way. The registry only gives a unique key and if you do that you have to do all the other stuff all over again. So its best to keep your older key unless of course they change how the key is set up and read out, that happened once. Al settings are overwritten and all databases are overwritten, so there is little or no gain in a new key.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 03:24:23 am »
Will it make sense to try firefox marketplace? Are those OS independent apps ? will it run on OS/2?

Isn't Firefox marketplace for Firefox OS? Unless pure JavaScript they probably won't run on OS/2

dbanet

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 03:37:35 am »

Isn't Firefox marketplace for Firefox OS? Unless pure JavaScript they probably won't run on OS/2

Dave, according to the What is the Marketplace? article in the Mozilla support portal, these application should run on any platform (including ordinary desktop Mozilla Firefox running on a desktop OS, highlighted) capable of running Mozilla Firefox:

Quote from: Mozilla
The Marketplace is a store that features apps designed for any device that runs Firefox OS, Firefox for Android or Firefox desktop. It makes finding your favorite apps and discovering new apps easy. What's great is that the apps you download or purchase can be used on multiple devices and platforms.

If you follow the Marketplace apps for Firefox Desktop hyperlink in the "for more information" section, you will see the following:

Quote from: Mozilla
Marketplace apps will run on any computer with Firefox. Marketplace apps for Firefox desktop are specially optimized for a bigger screen. These apps are made with Open Web technology, so you can run the same app on different operating systems and devices!

Hence I suppose there is a very high probability these application should run on WarpZilla, at least those that do not use WebGL, as WebGL is not supported on OS/2 because it depends on OpenGL, which is really not very well supported on our platform.

Though I was not able to install two arbitrary chosen ones: the installation progress bar just sits at the beginning forever.

Rising an issue ticket should be considered.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 04:13:11 am »
OK, tried to use a couple. Some do come up with "not available for your platform" and the couple I tried to download timed out or gave a message about not being able to download at this time, try later. This is with SeaMonkey.
We're missing a lot more then just OpenGL. There's the web fonts that we all wish we had as well as H264+AAC. Then looking quickly at the source, I see, alarm, battery, bluetooth, camera, cell broardcast, datastore and devicestorage which we partially support, fmradio, gamepad,  mobilemessage,  power ,sms,  telephony, time, voicemail, wifi. There's also accessing the accelerator, lock and screensaver support and I'm sure more. We also lost the shell functions (setting background, setting default browser) at one point.
Some of these don't make sense on the desktop, others I remember having to disable back in the 10esr era. Now looking at the obj-dir, most did compile but like camera, are missing an interface.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 05:02:26 am »
Hi Joop, I mean to make a temporary profile for testing. eg open profile manager and create new, name it test and try it. Afterwards you can once again open profile manager and choose your original profile, probably named default. You won't loose anything and will pinpoint whether the problem is with your profile or is in Firefox. If you have the same problem installing nl.xpi then you can open a ticket. If not we can try to fix your profile.
And everyone, you should back up your profiles before testing a new version (and regularly back up your profile)

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 12:06:46 pm »
Have just tested it too.  What I have seen - works ok, except for video from YouTube -
the sound is very slow  and video is also very slow - so it is unusable for YouTube.

FF24 works ok  with YouTube on my system.

dbanet

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 12:37:52 pm »
Have just tested it too.  What I have seen - works ok, except for video from YouTube -
the sound is very slow  and video is also very slow - so it is unusable for YouTube.

FF24 works ok  with YouTube on my system.

SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 02:04:46 pm »
Hi Joop, I mean to make a temporary profile for testing. eg open profile manager and create new, name it test and try it. Afterwards you can once again open profile manager and choose your original profile, probably named default. You won't loose anything and will pinpoint whether the problem is with your profile or is in Firefox. If you have the same problem installing nl.xpi then you can open a ticket. If not we can try to fix your profile.
And everyone, you should back up your profiles before testing a new version (and regularly back up your profile)
Started with "rem SET MOZILLA_HOME=P:\FIREFOX_PROFIEL_3180x", as you see it has a rem before it. FF makes a new profile in own directory, so totally nothing there. Comes up with the hello page and if you want to run a tour. So far so good. Open file nl_3180.xpi (added _3180 myself because all files all version always nl.xpi, with this I can keep them apart) and screen if I want to install, yes, few moments later same popup with that it can proceed because there are problems. I can do this over and over again, sounds like a bug to me. But I can't get the popup in a picture. Didn't found anything to produce a log or so. So ready for a ticket, but how to feed it with some proof?
Found an other way within FF, made a screen dump with pmview.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:34:06 pm by Joop »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 02:32:23 pm »
Third download will crash / exit FF, bug still not solved. >:(
Program don't know what to do with files without an extension and sees this as binary. Lots of readme files on SourceForge are given this way and contain useful information for OS/2, special if a higher version of Java is needed, so you don't download sometimes 100mb's+ files. But without the extension I don't get the option if I want to open it with a program, that's greyed out.

dbanet

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 02:44:28 pm »
I'm having a trouble interpreting your posts, but regarding rising an issue and "feeding it with some proof" it's just a matter of explicitly specifying the steps to reproduce the problem, the expected behavior and the actual behavior. If you get a crash, you can also attach an EXCEPTQ report, but that really is not mandatory as long as it's easily reproducible (yours seems to be).

You can also try testing if the expected behavior is congruent with the actual behavior on other platforms to establish the fact that the problem is with the port, not the upstream code.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:47:49 pm by Boris »