Author Topic: Firefox 31.8.0 Beta 5 - First Impressions  (Read 71099 times)

eirik

Re: Firefox 31.8.0 Beta 5 - First Impressions
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 12:55:20 pm »
I found a file on http://os2news.warpstock.org/warpzilla.html (under Test versions: kai/png/zlib/urpo) that contains the necessary dll's.  Thanks to the warpstock organizer Steve Wendt for making this available so that WarpIn installation works.  Firefox 31.8 (beta 5) up and running and seems to work excellent.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 11:32:04 pm »
Thanks Dave,

Hi Joop,  for the language pack problem, the only other test I can think of is to try installing a different language in case your nl.xpi is somehow broken.
Tried it in two ways. The first download the xpi file and open it in the browser and the other is with options, there is a notification that an update is available, this is a download straight from the source. Both fail. Of course the possibility of a broken file stays. Ticket raised.
Problem solved, libc problems. With unlock libcxxx.dll I could copy right versions over it. After that restart. In FF downloaded the xpi file and this time it did what it had to do.

Your crash when downloading should be a different ticket.
Strange if no trp or popup error which will make it harder to debug.
Raised another ticket, but got mail back he can't reproduce. Tried again with fresh profile, so nothing, and did the test again. As its still in English the locale can't be blamed. Download nr 3 and exit hard way. I'm out of options. If it has to do with some dll I need to know the filename.

regards
Having success with languagepack, download is still a problem. Downloads are placed in the temp directory and that's it. It hangs somewhere, no log, no trp file.

Regards

dbanet

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 01:08:50 am »
Thanks Dave,

Hi Joop,  for the language pack problem, the only other test I can think of is to try installing a different language in case your nl.xpi is somehow broken.
Tried it in two ways. The first download the xpi file and open it in the browser and the other is with options, there is a notification that an update is available, this is a download straight from the source. Both fail. Of course the possibility of a broken file stays. Ticket raised.
Problem solved, libc problems. With unlock libcxxx.dll I could copy right versions over it. After that restart. In FF downloaded the xpi file and this time it did what it had to do.

Your crash when downloading should be a different ticket.
Strange if no trp or popup error which will make it harder to debug.
Raised another ticket, but got mail back he can't reproduce. Tried again with fresh profile, so nothing, and did the test again. As its still in English the locale can't be blamed. Download nr 3 and exit hard way. I'm out of options. If it has to do with some dll I need to know the filename.

regards
Having success with languagepack, download is still a problem. Downloads are placed in the temp directory and that's it. It hangs somewhere, no log, no trp file.

Regards

And here, kids, is what one is going to get if refuses to use YUM.

P. S. The worst thing is that the very valuable OS/2 developers time is carelessly wasted on solving irrelevant problems of users failing to comprehend the readme file.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:14:09 am by Boris »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 07:38:43 pm »
P. S. The worst thing is that the very valuable OS/2 developers time is carelessly wasted on solving irrelevant problems of users failing to comprehend the readme file.
Thanks for your kind words. First, YUM doesn't do that good and most of us in Holland do have trouble with that package (don't know if this has to do with the Dutch OS/2 or eCS versions, but I've seen twice total disaster). Some who had installed it are not happy. Second, why do we need to import Linux problems? We have OS/2, write a CLEAR readme and anyone can dump the necessary files in the right directory. Third, my native is not English, so sometimes the readme can not be understood in the right way or the readme just sucks and is too short of information, not seldom seen from developers  point of view who can't imagine that on an other systems or with other users (with an other native) it will fail. Fourth Linux doesn't understand the freedom we have in OS/2, my guess is that not two OS/2-eCS installations are the same. You can't say that from Linux. Fifth, same setup doesn't mean same results. Sixth, everything works fine, except the new just installed program, that also means that if all other things works as it should that not much can be wrong and the problems are with that new program. Seventh, follow the IBM guidelines, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So true...

dbanet

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 11:58:30 pm »
Thanks for your kind words. First, YUM doesn't do that good and most of us in Holland do have trouble with that package (don't know if this has to do with the Dutch OS/2 or eCS versions, but I've seen twice total disaster). Some who had installed it are not happy. Second, why do we need to import Linux problems? We have OS/2, write a CLEAR readme and anyone can dump the necessary files in the right directory. Third, my native is not English, so sometimes the readme can not be understood in the right way or the readme just sucks and is too short of information, not seldom seen from developers  point of view who can't imagine that on an other systems or with other users (with an other native) it will fail. Fourth Linux doesn't understand the freedom we have in OS/2, my guess is that not two OS/2-eCS installations are the same. You can't say that from Linux. Fifth, same setup doesn't mean same results. Sixth, everything works fine, except the new just installed program, that also means that if all other things works as it should that not much can be wrong and the problems are with that new program. Seventh, follow the IBM guidelines, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So true...

ob¦scur|ant|ism /ˌɒbskjʊˈrantɪz(ə)m/, noun, uncountable, formal. 1. the practice of deliberately making things more confusing or complicated, so that people do not know the truth.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2015, 03:19:51 am »
Not a very helpful reply Boris unless you are describing the mess RPM/YUM can create.

I see you also ignored my comment on the previous page.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2015, 02:50:08 pm »
There is a setting for downloads in the preferences, this one was not set and I thought it was set. Not!. After setting I have now a popup screen where to save the file. However the next two problems are still not solved;
1) If the file has NO extension, like "readme" files, then your only option is to save it in the temp directory. The option for open with is grayed out. Found that this is the case from version 10x and up. Some others tested on this behavior and its not in all OS the same.
2) With download nr 3 (in one run,  ff was not closed) firefox exits hard, only its own log is written, no trp files, nothing in OS/2 log files. Others report not having this problem, but if this is the case we have to find the problem outside ff, but what program or dll is responsible for this behavior? Not all dll's have well managed dates or version numbers, so here might be a problem lurking for those who thinks have met the prerequisites. This is not from the latest, also 24 does have these problems. I have to test if previous versions do have the same problem. I've report it before but at a time that development on a particular version was closed.

dbanet

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2015, 03:29:41 pm »
Joop, please try not to spawn more issue tickets at GitHub: there are evidences there is nothing wrong with Firefox port regarding the download problem, but your environment is screwed up.

I want to strongly discourage spending porters' time on solving problems in a user's environment, because this time may be spent... you know... on porting. Which is good for everyone, not just for that one user.

Joop, I highly suggest you to open a new thread on OS2World forums to ask for assistance in maintaining your system.
I suspect, if you declare your problems in a clear and non-offensive manner, there is a high probability of volunteers to come up without closing your issue tickets.
I will gladly participate in discussions to help you solve the problem.

There was a new thread spawned by Eirik Romstad for RPM, dependencies, updates, etc discussions. I suggest everyone to move there for discussions on those subjects to keep this, let me recall, Firefox 31.8.0 Beta 5 - First Impressions thread clean.

Let me also summarize: the port is awesome!
I would like to thank everyone who participates in this awesome work!

There is also an option to donate to bww bitwise works GmbH.
They currently also work on SWT/Eclipse and VirtualBox ports, and they keep the work open!

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2015, 05:01:28 pm »
This is not an answer on my question, reading seems difficult.

Joop, please try not to spawn more issue tickets at GitHub: there are evidences there is nothing wrong with Firefox port regarding the download problem, but your environment is screwed up.
There is nothing wrong with my setup, there is only evidence that on some OS/2-eCS installations FF runs as thought it should run. Downloading only two files and with the third FF is going down has nothing to do with a setup, you could have a point when this happens with download nr1. But it doesn't. Also all other programs on my system are gladly to work with my setup, according to you wrong, but what the hell, it works. All of them, a couple of hundred programs!  And who the hell are you to forbid me to post on Github?

dbanet

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2015, 05:26:51 pm »
This is not an answer on my question, reading seems difficult.

There is nothing wrong with my setup, there is only evidence that on some OS/2-eCS installations FF runs as thought it should run. Downloading only two files and with the third FF is going down has nothing to do with a setup, you could have a point when this happens with download nr1. But it doesn't. Also all other programs on my system are gladly to work with my setup, according to you wrong, but what the hell, it works. All of them, a couple of hundred programs!  And who the hell are you to forbid me to post on Github?

Sorry, I take my words

I will gladly participate in discussions to help you solve the problem.

back.

Edit: ah, no need to take my words back. It was anticipated:

if you declare your problems in a clear and non-offensive manner
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:31:49 pm by Boris »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2015, 05:03:22 am »
Hi guys

The idea of this forums and threads are to try to help us to fix problems between us, the users, before being sure that we are dealing with bugs and open a ticket. It is good to exchange notes and experience to solve the question "It is just me or other people is having this problem too?". But this is not wrote in stone, it is just a suggestion.

Please stick to the point and do not make personal opinions about other individuals. Giving a "Value Judgement" about another person does not help on the forums. Also sometimes "Sassyness" (Clever, witty, sarcasm with attitude) can be confused with arrogance in written form on the forums, please be aware of that.

I remember being called a "Linux Hater" on the past because I discussed that I don't like the The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) that Linux/Unix uses with RPM/YUM and it was not nice. Of course that it is not true, but I just want to remind you that I don't want a discussion when people have predefine misconceptions about the other part. We are a community of people using OS/2 and we have different skills, personalities, cultural background and knowledge level, we can not assume that all got understood at once.

Another example of comments that I also got are like "You are wasting your time doing...", that is also not polite since I choose how to waste my own time. I prefer when people tell me things in other ways like "I think that it will be better if we focus time on doing X or Y because of...". It is saying almost the same thing without upsetting the other person's choices.

Please avoid making personal comments about the other party and focus only on the problem and how to help him. If anybody don't want or don't have the patience to help on an specific problem just move on the next thread, you are not forced to reply to everything.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 09:11:32 pm »
There is a real problem to update addons and language packs not limited to individual languages or .xpi-files. The problem is present with Swedish (sv_SE.xpi) as well, but also updates of regular addons for firefox 31.8 Beta 5. Please do note that the addons once installed (from earlier versions) work.

My tests doesn't indicate that the path or update procedure is the cause, mainly as I've repeated this procedure since I found out where the language packs can be found on the net several versions ago.

Firefox even found the language pack and version to install this time, a great leap forward.
Something stop both the automatic and manual update procedure.

Jan-Erik Lärka
Software Tester of Enterprise Resource Planning System MONITOR (http://www.monitor.se)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:20:43 pm by Jan-Erik Lärka »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 09:33:05 pm »
Have you tried this with a new profile (firefox.exe -profilemanager and create new)?

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2015, 11:11:56 pm »
Hello,

thank you for your reply.
I have just installed eComStation v2.2 Beta but apparently have to manually remove those installed libc0*.dll that is in the way in the ecs\dll folder.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2015, 11:58:42 pm »
I have just installed eComStation v2.2 Beta
That version is still not on sale.