Author Topic: Firefox 31.8.0 Beta 5 - First Impressions  (Read 71092 times)

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
Re: Firefox 31.8.0 Beta 5 - First Impressions
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2015, 08:56:53 pm »
Version 31.8.0 works correctly.
Moreover, it works above 512 MB, after markup by highmem.exe.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2015, 05:31:47 am »
Version 31.8.0 works correctly.
Moreover, it works above 512 MB, after markup by highmem.exe.

You also need the 106 kernel, as shipped with eCS 2.2.b2, or the system will sometimes crash when you close a program that has DLLs loaded high. In fact, I have been having the odd crash when closing Firefox, even though I have the 106 kernel, from eCS 2.2.b2. I am not 100% sure that I got all of the parts that go with the 106 kernel though. Anybody know what all of the files are?

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2015, 11:10:39 am »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2015, 02:06:49 am »
I have an odd problem an I am most probably not looking in the correct place to find the answer.

On my normal machine 4 core AMD, 4 Gb memory and several 1 Tb hard disks Firefox 31.8 works without any problems.  This evening I had cause to use my backup machine  and installed Firefox 31.8 on it, copied over the required DLLs and it runs.  It is rather slow to start but I expected that as it is a single core AMD processor with 2 Gb ram and both machines have an identical disk layout, the SMP machine just has larger partitions.

Now the problem is that I can download files with Firefox 31.8 on the SMP machine nut not on the other.  It appears to start but nothing happens.  What am I missing?  Anyone any idea?

At the moment I have gone back to using Firefox 17.0.11 which has always worked well on this single core machine.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2015, 03:04:36 am »
Try moving downloads.sqlite (in your profile) out of the way and see if that helps. Also go into options-->general and double check that downloads are set to "always ask me"

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2015, 10:06:50 pm »
Moved to FF31.8.0, but youtube stutters.

Found this;

Quote from: OS4User on July 25, 2015, 12:06:46 pm

Have just tested it too.  What I have seen - works ok, except for video from YouTube -
    the sound is very slow  and video is also very slow - so it is unusable for YouTube.

FF24 works ok  with YouTube on my system.

SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART

So closed FF, updated the env file with above (use run) and run FF again. Did go back to youtube, same footage, still stutters. Now what?

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2015, 03:25:25 am »

So closed FF, updated the env file with above (use run) and run FF again. Did go back to youtube, same footage, still stutters. Now what?

That's a known problem with 31.8, use Dave's 24.8 or SM for youtube !

Page 1 - http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,803.msg7678.html#msg7678

---

If you read OS4USER's post again he has sound and states the problem you have with youtube.

But Boris & you misread the post and posted the solution for no sound, which is a different problem.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 05:42:55 am by Greggory Shaw »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2015, 01:09:07 pm »
But Boris & you misread the post and posted the solution for no sound, which is a different problem.
Thanks Greggory, no, I didn't read the message wrong, I had the idea in my mind that the problem was with some buffer which was not big enough to hold the sound, in pro packages you get similar things if you setup the rig with a buffer too small. First I thought it was a html5 implementation problem. By rerouting it to more native packages you could bypass the buffer problem. Furthermore, I don't have uniaud installed because I have an specific OS/2 driver for the soundmax chipset. So it was also a test to find out if uniaud was in the way of dart. The readme is not real clear on this. So some thoughts got its own life which was based on an idea, wrong. I know FF24 does an excellent job here.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2015, 03:46:55 pm »
Thanks Greggory, no, I didn't read the message wrong, I had the idea in my mind that the problem was with some buffer which was not big enough to hold the sound, in pro packages you get similar things if you setup the rig with a buffer too small. First I thought it was a html5 implementation problem. By rerouting it to more native packages you could bypass the buffer problem. Furthermore, I don't have uniaud installed because I have an specific OS/2 driver for the soundmax chipset. So it was also a test to find out if uniaud was in the way of dart. The readme is not real clear on this. So some thoughts got its own life which was based on an idea, wrong. I know FF24 does an excellent job here.

Whqat ??? This is what you posted.

"So closed FF, updated the env file with above (use run) and run FF again. Did go back to youtube, same footage, still stutters. Now what?"

Added:

SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART

Now you post the above, you need to be clear and if you know it's a problem why are you posting.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:55:29 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2015, 07:24:19 pm »
Oh, sorry, but the stuttering of FF31.8.0 is in my view a problem. I thought it could be solved with the set whatever. I'm clear about that, but I thought wrong. So what are you commenting about?

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2015, 12:13:40 am »
Oh, sorry, but the stuttering of FF31.8.0 is in my view a problem. I thought it could be solved with the set whatever. I'm clear about that, but I thought wrong. So what are you commenting about?

Hellooo, it's a known problem period - so use FF24 for youtube.

Quote from: OS4User on July 25, 2015, 12:06:46 pm

Have just tested it too.  What I have seen - works ok, except for video from YouTube -
    the sound is very slow  and video is also very slow - so it is unusable for YouTube.

FF24 works ok  with YouTube on my system.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2015, 12:46:27 am »
One other difference between 24ESR and 31ESR is that 31ESR supports VP9. VP9 is more CPU intensive and I understand Google prefers it or will prefer it soon. Whether this is part of the problem or not I don't know.
Hopefully 38ESR will support X265+AAC which may be an improvement though still CPU intensive.
I do know that a couple of VP8 test videos I have here worked fine with 31ESR once I figured out my mixer settings.
I'll have to aquire some more test videos.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2015, 02:19:54 am »
One other difference between 24ESR and 31ESR is that 31ESR supports VP9. VP9 is more CPU intensive and I understand Google prefers it or will prefer it soon. Whether this is part of the problem or not I don't know.
I think it is. With 24ESR the user (program) cpu usage stays around 60%, never above 80% (on my system with single cpu). With 31ESR the same footage gives user (program) cpu usage around 70% with spikes up to 98%.  So more cpu is used, but the spikes tells me that something is wrong with the buffer. It looks like the buffer is too short. Ie, buffer is filled, footage playing, after a short while you get buffer under run (buffer is almost empty and can't fill next frame), buffer gets filled and this cost cpu power, so with not enough for next frame the footage halts and sound too. After buffer is filled footage goes on uninterrupted up to the next buffer under run. I didn't found a setting for buffer.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2015, 12:11:01 pm »
In my system smp do not start, but if I runing firts qupzilla 189 and open, firefox display this error:

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2015, 07:51:22 pm »
Probably a DLL conflict. Make sure that if using YUM/RPM that @UNIXROOT\usr\lib is close to the front of your LIBPATH (change @UNIXROOT to the correct drive letter) and if not using YUM/RPM make sure the newer DLLs are loaded before the ones in \ecs\dll, os2\dll or better yet update them. This will mostly be the libc0x and gccxx dlls though also watch for other ones such as stdcppp6.dll etc.
You should also give a bit more information when reporting problems such as this, eg OS level and how you're installing the DLLs at least.