Author Topic: Problems with ArcView...  (Read 7143 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Problems with ArcView...
« on: July 29, 2015, 04:54:04 am »
So I'm attempting to pull the STDCPP6.DLL out of the release RPM file, but trying to do this with ArcView produces the following error in the "VX-REXX Console for Archive Viewer" window:

SYS1092: The handle could not be duplicated during a pipe operation.

Any ideas what is causing this?

I used to have ArcView working...then at some point in time something must have changed causing it to stop...

dbanet

Re: Problems with ArcView...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 09:29:26 am »
Do you have the latest version installed?

I don't use ArcView, but I suppose it should be able to locate rpm2cpio and cpio itself to unpack RPM packages?

Are these tools on your PATH?

Attached the mentioned tools for your convenience.
You can unpack RPM packages by hand from command prompt using the tools explicitly:
Code: [Select]
rpm2cpio your_package.rpm | cpio -idmvThis will extract the contents of your_package.rpm into your current working directory.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 03:02:56 am »
Actually ArcView uses 7z by preference instead of rpm2cpio, but it falls back to the latter if the former can't be found on the path.

FWIW, the precise command it uses is:
7z x -so -bd -y whatever.rpm 2>NUL | cpio -d -i -v -u --no-absolute-filenames --quiet [file_to_extract] 2>&1
If the necessary programs are missing it will tell you.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:48:59 am »
Do you have the latest version installed?

Yes, version 2.2 is what I have.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 03:51:26 am »
Actually ArcView uses 7z by preference instead of rpm2cpio, but it falls back to the latter if the former can't be found on the path.

I have 7z installed, reports itself as:

7-Zip 9.20  Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov  2010-11-18
p7zip Version 9.20 (locale=en_CA.IBM-437,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,5 CPUs)

FWIW, the precise command it uses is:
7z x -so -bd -y whatever.rpm 2>NUL | cpio -d -i -v -u --no-absolute-filenames --quiet [file_to_extract] 2>&1If the necessary programs are missing it will tell you.

OK, good stuff...I'm about to reboot to pull the new stdcpp6.dll in...but I'll try that direct cmli on the RPM file I was trying to open up with ArcView next.

Thanks!

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 05:13:44 am »
OK, so trying to debug my issue further, I have 7z as previously posted, but I also have cpio:

12-03-12  12:31p     75664         124  cpio.exe

However, attempting to execute cpio on it's own simply produces:

SYS1804: The system cannot find the file KINTL.

...sure enough, that DLL is missing from my system...Hobbest shows nothing, well, it brings up gettext but the readme there talks about replacing the DLL names and KINTL.dll => intl8.dll now...so that does me no good.

Ultimately I found the wget 1.14 package which did have the KINTL.DLL, tossing that into my \usr\dll location now allowed cpio to work and (drumm roll....) more importantly ArcView now works as well!!!

Now, my only left-over question: is there a way to preserve the original archive date/time stamp on the file? My extracted stdcpp6.dll shows the creation time instead of the archive file time...now this may have something do to with HPFS386 (I vaguely remember such thing in the past), but I'm curious if it may be something else perhaps?