Author Topic: Which program to use for ripping audio CDs to flac?  (Read 25893 times)

Andi B.

• View Profile
Which program to use for ripping audio CDs to flac?
« on: August 30, 2015, 11:19:42 am »
Unfortunately jRipper packed by Ronald (rbri.org) does not work here. It seems to do exactly what I need. Simple front end, freedb, ripping into folder. Problem is it only rippes the first track of a CD. After that it hangs. Cancel button does not work too. Seems jRipper could not start the cdda2wav again for the second track and so waits endless. No difference between the java1.41 and java1.6 version.

Does jRipper work for anyone of you?

Which program do you use to rip CDs to flac?

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
Re: Which program to use for ripping audio CDs to flac?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 04:56:41 pm »
Hi there,

I never tried jripper, but I can recommend AvxCat, Works fine here for Flac too

Holger

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:16:26 pm »
Hi Andi,

jRipper works fine for me, currently using Java 1.6
have you edited the jRipper cmd file ?

The cdda2wav file I'm using is

24/08/07  19:38     218092           0  cdda2wav.exe

and the version of flac is

28/12/12  21:51    1030721           0  flac.exe

both are set in jrippers setup paths.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

rbri

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 07:10:23 pm »
Will have a look.

Somebody else out there using jRipper?

RBRi

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 07:25:40 pm »
Hi Ian,

I have to ask, what cmd file?

The version I found is just a jar file with no setup instructions or usage information.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 07:56:36 pm »
Hi Ivan

The file is a reasonably normal cmd file for java apps, might not even be needed but note there is a setting for LookAndFeel

Ignore the 'SET DIRCMD=' at the top if you dont do strange things with your dir command line :)
Cheers
Ian B Manners

rbri

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 08:00:02 pm »
The WPI installer should contain everything.

http://rbri.org/index.php?id=jripper

Hi Ivan

The file is a reasonably normal cmd file for java apps, might not even be needed but note there is a setting for LookAndFeel

Ignore the 'SET DIRCMD=' at the top if you dont do strange things with your dir command line :)

rbri

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 08:01:28 pm »
Was able to reproduce your problem. Will have a look, maybe there is a way to fix it.

RBRi

Unfortunately jRipper packed by Ronald (rbri.org) does not work here. It seems to do exactly what I need. Simple front end, freedb, ripping into folder. Problem is it only rippes the first track of a CD. After that it hangs. Cancel button does not work too. Seems jRipper could not start the cdda2wav again for the second track and so waits endless. No difference between the java1.41 and java1.6 version.

Does jRipper work for anyone of you?

Which program do you use to rip CDs to flac?

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 10:37:57 pm »
Thanks Ian and RBRi.

When I get some time tonight I will have a little play.

BTW, The jRipper.jar I found was on SourceForge and looks nothing like the screen shots you have RBRi.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 12:19:53 am »
Wouldn't it be simpler to go with a semi-native solution? Leechmp3 http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/sound/convert/leechmp3_340.zip could easily be adapted for flac, we have the newest flac encoder available on Hobbes and even going with the quick and dirty method of renaming flac.exe to lame.exe should work.
If you are planning on using your flac files on audio hardware, it is probably safest to go with the reference encoder. FFmpeg for example can go to 12 (on a scale of 1-10) but not everything can decode such highly compressed flac files.
Probably faster then a Java solutions as well as once the CDDB info is downloaded it rips tracks and encodes in parallel.
I should test but I just noticed my DVD writer is not showing up anymore :(

rbri

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 08:35:59 am »
jRipper is only a frontend for the usual programs like lame, oggenc and cdda2wav. Personally i really like the simple ui and a program that only does his job without any whistles and bells. And only without fighting with strange command line parameters. (jRipper was written by dronten; i only did some fixes to work better on os/2)
If i'm able to find the bug i will update the webpage with some more info.

Wouldn't it be simpler to go with a semi-native solution? Leechmp3 http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/sound/convert/leechmp3_340.zip could easily be adapted for flac, we have the newest flac encoder available on Hobbes and even going with the quick and dirty method of renaming flac.exe to lame.exe should work.
If you are planning on using your flac files on audio hardware, it is probably safest to go with the reference encoder. FFmpeg for example can go to 12 (on a scale of 1-10) but not everything can decode such highly compressed flac files.
Probably faster then a Java solutions as well as once the CDDB info is downloaded it rips tracks and encodes in parallel.
I should test but I just noticed my DVD writer is not showing up anymore :(

rbri

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 07:49:42 am »
Small update:
spend some time with debugging the hangs. Now i know where the program stops, but still have no idea why and what to do to make it work. Have to try some workaround. Cross your fingers.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 08:41:36 pm »
Ian, I wonder if it really works for you for more than the 1 track?

I tried your versions of cdda2wav and flac with java1.6 and java1.41 but as said, it hangs after the first track.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 06:24:01 pm »
So far I've digitised 119 LP's to 32bit wave files, then used JRipper to convert them to FLAC for archiving, and MP3 for passing on to everyday listening.
Haven't had a single problem, well, not with flac conversion.

And after checking, over 184 CD's ripped to Flac and mp3's.

I still cant get David Parsons PMUniMixer binary to work, just tried the latest one from pmunimix-bin-0_70.zip (his latest one on hobbes).
I seem to have no problems with some programs that others do, and problems with programs that work fine for others.
To busy at present to worry about it when my older programs still do the job.

Added

ding ding

JRipper might be the program I had to edit out a directory seperater '\' somewhere in the code, I don't think it actually worked at all for flac originally but that might be a totally separate problem to yours if you can get it to work at least once, as I don't think mine worked at all in the beginning with ripping CD's to whatever, or maybe I'm thinking of something else entirely different.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 07:00:29 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 08:13:08 pm »
I guess the problem is jripper starts both cdda2wav and flac at the same time - flac starts before cdda2wav has extracted the wav from CD. Maybe jripper does not get notified when flac is conversion is done and so does not start cdda2wav for the next track. But that's much guessing.

As a work around I now encode to wav and do the conversion to flac afterwards. So no need for jripper to control both cdda2wav and flac (or lame). This works.