Author Topic: Which program to use for ripping audio CDs to flac?  (Read 25891 times)

Remy

• View Profile
Re: Which program to use for ripping audio CDs to flac?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 03:53:43 pm »
Hi,

Why didn't you give a try to avxcat ?

You need  CDDVDRTOOLS or CDRTOOLS for included cdda2wav.exe (cdda2wav2.exe not compatible) optional tool be installed and then, run avxcat, select audio, open "add files", select your CD drive, add tracks into avxcat ( select flac profile ) and GO.

RD.

Added v1.3.5 test build     

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 07:26:34 pm »
I tried it long ago but had problems. Anyway just test again. I do not see an option to select the output folder, is there any?

And can AVxCAT convert into subfolder with name of Album?

I've currently installed v1.2.5 - have to search for current version though.

Just tried 1.3.5 and seems to work. One problem View - Open target folder still opens e:\home\defaul\.avxcat instead the Target I selected.

Another problem is the font for 'Add files' 'Add dir' looks not very good. See attached picture.

The file/directory select dialog is kind of strange in my opinion. Maybe a CUA dialog or FOC would be a good choice.

Anyway thanks for you work on AVXCAT. Have to test more.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:52:54 pm by Andi B. »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 09:34:42 pm »
Thanks Andi

What is your screen size ?  ( it looks to mutch smaller than mine)
(may be I can add a view/hide icon text)

About the internal filemanager, it is done through drdialog and I had to use some tips to have a correct respons time.
May I change this under a future version.

"Open target folder still opens e:\home\defaul\.avxcat instead the Target I selected"
 oh!  I will check this quickly...

Remy

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 10:17:00 pm »
What is your screen size ?
3840 x 1200 pixels (two displays), SNAP, AFAIK standard fonts sizes.

(may be I can add a view/hide icon text)
Not for me please. I'm a text guy, I can not work with icons. I need menus with text.

Btw. the about dialog does not show up in xcenter or task list. I can be hidden by other windows and AVxCAT does not respond to input as long as the (invisible) about dialog is not closed (need moving the other windows away to see it).

Just discovered the wrong Target folder will be used as long as you do not exit and restart AVxCAT. Seems you only read the 'Target folder' on program start but do not update when the user changes it afterwards.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 10:19:44 pm by Andi B. »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 11:45:42 pm »
Hi Andy

Thanks for the screen size information.
( I have 1600 x 1200 and font size is smaller )

What do you mean by the "about dialog" ?  ( can you email me a screenshot ? ) 

I did a few changes:
  - I removed the word "Add'" before Files and Dir  ( I think it is nor needed and text is better aligned )
  - I added an "Open" button to acces targetr folder directly
  - I changed the "Dir" button on the right of the target path by "Chg" used to chage target path location only
  - The "Chg" button works correctly again
  - Corrected a bug when using "Add dir"
  - Corrected a bug when changing path and adding new tracks into AVXCAT to be processed

Can you please try this update ? ( same name but once installed, version differs ) 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:55:01 pm by Remy »

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 04:40:43 pm »
Sorry for late reply, but here it is :)
What do you mean by the "about dialog" ?
See attachement. In this picture you see the 'not so good' font which is used for 'Files, Dir, Delete, Edit tags, Audio...' too

Some additional options which would be useful for me -
- clear Dir/File list after conversion
- running more profiles at once (with their own target folder). So I can rip a whole CD as 1) FLAC in folder s:\Musik\flac\AlbumTitle\. and at the same time as 2) MP3 in folder s:\Musik\mp3\AlbumTitle\. and at the same time as 3) BITSTREAM in folder s:\Musik\wav\AlbumTitle\.. Of course reading the data only once from CD to speed things up ;)

Another thing I found is while other rippers often give you choices for different tags (guess there are more than one at freedb.org) with AVxCAT I never saw such choice.

Btw. in the second attachment you see a minor issue - at line Add ID3tags Both is truncated. And another GUI problem are the buttons when you resize the parameters window in the last attachment.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 11:31:15 pm »
Thanks Andi,

It  looks like display under panorama and snap didn't provide the same result. I only have panorama
and provided pictures are helpfull. 

I'll check this.

I have a v1.3.6 in preparation with severals updates ( changing existing normalize processes - current supported ffmpeg do not have implemented normalize and external tools are used but now, output normalize volume can be adjusted, changing author display ... )

To answer your request:
"
- clear Dir/File list after conversion
- running more profiles at once (with their own target folder). So I can rip a whole CD as 1) FLAC in folder s:\Musik\flac\AlbumTitle\. and at the same time as 2) MP3 in folder s:\Musik\mp3\AlbumTitle\. and at the same time as 3) BITSTREAM in folder s:\Musik\wav\AlbumTitle\.. Of course reading the data only once from CD to speed things up
"
The dir/File list ( selected tracks in the container ) aren't cleared after conversion to allow you a new conversion type like what you would like. How to do ?
- Just mark again all tracks ( use RMB ) and then change the audio format and GO ( run conversion )
  No need to read again the CD and select tracks...

Of course, each new audio format,  tracks are read from the CD and not keep into memory  ;D
One solution would be to convert tracks into Flac and then use the Flac result to convert into other format.... !
( of course, a new conversion after a conversion may impact quality result )     

About tags source choice, I did several tests and only one produced accurate result and some other didn't work...
This can be changed to allow user to try other db .
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 01:15:49 am by Rem »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 01:14:48 am »
Hi Andi,

Please, give a try to this beta build :
http://remydodin.levillage.org/outils/avxcat_136beta5.zip

It has new normalize options for which following tools package have to be installed under avxcat folder.
http://remydodin.levillage.org/outils/audiogain.zip   (only available during beta test periode)
To enable this changed process, you'll have to open advanced option for audio.
Note: When normalize is enabled, the volume gain is added or substracted from normal normalize output level instead ffmpeg volume.

Cheers/2   
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 11:16:50 am by Rem »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 02:26:37 am »
Are any tester available to give a try to AVxCAT V1.4.0 ALPHA  ( compatible with ffmpeg 2.1.5 ) ?
If you are interested, please send me an email from my home site to get this alpha build.

Alpha build means that you may find problems
2 known problems
- OGV and MPEG2 not working ( about OGV, it looks to be ffmpeg but more investigation is needed )

ffmpeg to try with it   
>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/ffmpeg-os2-r2_1_5-Fourier.zip

It has:
- latest found bugs under v1.3.x resolved
- display ffmpeg version under 'help'
- Added debug log on ffmpeg
  (warning, use it only in case conversion fails at start or the amount of messages may scratch avxcat)
   to enable it: - enable axtra log, go under parameters ans mark ffmpeg debug log. At end of session, parameter is removed
- video conversion uses multi threads which speed up the conversion ( you can specify auto or the number of threads (CPU core)
  This option is enabled with ffmpeg 2.1.5 and disable under older ffmpeg ...
  note: very fast on MP4

After test, please, provide feedback using the email link on my web site and specify what was well tested.
e.g.
- audio conversion ( codec tried )
- audio to video conversion ( codec tried )
- multiple audio track with join
- video conversion
- video and mapping !
- create presentation out of videos

Cheers/2
RD. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 09:26:26 am by Rem »