Author Topic: Diff Tool  (Read 13055 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
Diff Tool
« on: September 09, 2015, 03:24:16 am »
Is there such a thing as a "simple, easy to use Diff Tool for OS/2" ? I need to add and remove (merge) statements from some large files.

thanks, klipp

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
Re: Diff Tool
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 04:46:08 am »
Do you want graphical or command line?

GFC (http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=os2gfc&pushbutton=Search) is a nice graphical tool which I often use.  (Be aware that it can't really process lines longer than about 500 characters, but for source code that shouldn't be an issue.)

As for command line, GNU diff is basically the standard.  Using the -u switch generally gives much more usable results than the default output.

rbri

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 07:44:54 am »
PMdiff is still a good option. Araxis made the latest version 4.0c available for free some years ago. But it looks like there last web site update has vanished the download.
If you like i can make it available.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:33:02 am »
There's also kdiff3 (netlabs under QT4 apps) which does a pretty good job of merging, including 3 way.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 08:50:21 am »
Not mentioned until now is my preferred - Diffzilla included in VisualSlickEdit. SmartSync sometimes even better synchronizes on changed code blocks in source code but is Java and so needs more resources. Both are able to compare files and whole directory trees.

Older versions of BeyondCompare runs with the help of Odin.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 05:03:29 pm »
Thanks all for you're suggestions. For now I'm using Alex's suggestion of GFC .
However RBRi -- I found and downloaded Araxis ver 4.0 and it worked well but would not save the edited file unless I registered the software. I could find no way to register it. If you're still willing I would like to take you up on you're offer to make it available. You can contact me at rklipp(@)megared.net.mx  -- thanks!

klipp

rbri

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 09:12:49 pm »
Thanks all for you're suggestions. For now I'm using Alex's suggestion of GFC .
However RBRi -- I found and downloaded Araxis ver 4.0 and it worked well but would not save the edited file unless I registered the software. I could find no way to register it. If you're still willing I would like to take you up on you're offer to make it available. You can contact me at rklipp(@)megared.net.mx  -- thanks!

Try the download link on my web page http://rbri.org/links/.

RBRi

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 11:46:32 pm »
Got It! Thanks much

klipp