Author Topic: What is missing  (Read 7769 times)

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
What is missing
« on: September 14, 2015, 04:07:09 pm »
I have been struggling with Sane and scanning with my CanoScan 9000F for a long time. I now know that it is working for other people. I think that it is something I am missing in my installation, something that Sane depends on, but I don't understand the messages I get.
I'm running the program scanimage -L that should detect my scanner, and it does, but with a lot of messages. If I then try to scan running  scanimage >scan.pnm I get the same messages, and off course no result.
So, the question is if anybody can tel me what I have to do.

Here is the displayed result from the processes.
[F:\sane]scanimage -L
MIB search path: E:\HOME\DEFAULT/.snmp/mibs;/net-snmp/share/snmp/mibs
Cannot find module (:SNMPv2-MIB:IF-MIB:IP-MIB:TCP-MIB:UDP-MIB:HOST-RESOURCES-MIB
:NOTIFICATION-LOG-MIB:DISMAN-EVENT-MIB:DISMAN-SCHEDULE-MIB:UCD-SNMP-MIB:UCD-DEMO
-MIB:SNMP-TARGET-MIB:NET-SNMP-AGENT-MIB:HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES:SNMP-MPD-MIB:SNMP-U
SER-BASED-SM-MIB:SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB:SNMP-VIEW-BASED-ACM-MIB:SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB:N
ET-SNMP-PASS-MIB:NET-SNMP-EXTEND-MIB:UCD-DLMOD-MIB:SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB:SNMPv2-
TM:NET-SNMP-VACM-MIB): At line 0 in (none)
device `pixma:04A91908' is a CANON Canoscan 9000F multi-function peripheral
device `test:0' is a Noname frontend-tester virtual device
device `test:1' is a Noname frontend-tester virtual device

LIBC PANIC!!
_um_free_maybe_lock: Tried to free block twice - block=20034500 lock=0x1
pid=0x0062 ppid=0x0042 tid=0x0001 slot=0x00b1 pri=0x0200 mc=0x0000 ps=0x0010
F:\SANE\SCANIMAGE.EXE
Process dumping was disabled, use DUMPPROC / PROCDUMP to enable it.

The external process was cancelled by a Ctrl+Break or another process.

Pete

• View Profile
Re: What is missing
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 07:19:47 pm »
Hi Einar

I'm not sure what all the scanimage messages mean - they look network related - but it does look like scanimage correctly identifies your scanner.

How is the scanner connected? - I suspect USB connectivity. If that is the case make sure all USB drivers and support files required are installed - and current.

Which version of sane is involved?

LIBC PANIC!!  indicates a problem related to libc support. What build of libc are you using 0.6.5 or 0.6.6?

The following sane packages and support files work fine with a USB connected Canon MG7500 Series (MG7550) if you fancy giving them a try:-

http://smedley.id.au/tmp/sane-git-os2-20150117.zip - has 2 versions of scanimage.exe (\sane and \sane\bin) which should be deleted

http://smedley.id.au/tmp/scanimage.zip - contains an updated scanimage.exe; unzip to \sane (\sane\bin should now be empty)

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/ecups/install/libusbdll10.wpi - the required usb library

NOTE: The above sane builds files are not release builds. Check Readme files to make sure you have all other required files in place and to setup configuration.

Of possible interest: The above sane builds nearly work perfectly with the MG7550 connected wirelessly - the scan completes but the scanner does not, it continues displaying "Scanning..." and cannot be accessed again until it has been reset by powering off and on. Hopefully this problem will be fixed in the release build.

Regards

Pete

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 11:32:01 pm »
Thank you Pete.
I installed the version you have in your answer to me, and now all error messages are gone. May be it is because I now am using libc066, but that was not in the read me file.
But I still can't scan. Running Scanimage > scan.pnm  gives the error message scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O .
The scan.pnm file contains:
P6
# SANE data follows
638 877

The debugoutput.txt contains a message: [sanei_usb] libusb_scan_devices: could not get configuration for device 0x04a9/0x1908 at 001:007 (err -1) (my scanner).
That is strange because the Sane-pixma.5 document in http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-pixma.5.html says explicitly  USB scanners will be auto-detected and require no configuration.

Any ideas?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 12:29:31 am »
Hi Einar

Sorry, I have not seen that problem...

I have had to boot my old laptop which is the system I used to test USB was working with this build of sane and my MG7550 - I use the MG7550 wirelessly from my other systems.

I used 2 cmd files; 1 to set environment variables and 1 to perform scan. The environment variables were related to the fact that the MG7550 was not a supported scanner so should not be necessary for your scanner.

The scan.cmd file contains this line:-

scanimage -d pixma -v 1>output.pnm 2>debugouput.txt

I see that I needed to specify a scanner (*.conf file) name to get the scanner to work.

Looking at your 1st post I see your scanner is reported as a pixma so the above cmd line should work for you when issued in the same directory as scanimage.

If the above does not work what does scanimage -L display?

Regards

Pete