Author Topic: How to install from external USB CD/DVD?  (Read 14954 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
How to install from external USB CD/DVD?
« on: September 16, 2015, 05:35:15 pm »
Hi.

I got my hands on a Thinkpad Yoga 14 (No DVD) and I'm trying to install eCS 2.2 beta 2 for the fun of it.
I'm using an external Samsung USB bluray as DVD Player (the ecs image is on DVD)

- I activated UEFI legacy support on the BIOS.
- The eCs CD boots, I can access the boot menu.
- I notice that ACPI, AHCI driver will be loaded.
- I select USB DVD drive on the option.
- Press F10 to continue and boot.

But when it starts loading it give me the message "Insert the eComStation CD....."

I thought that enabled the USB CD and AHCI was the trick but it is not working for me. Am I missing something ?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: How to install from external USB CD/DVD?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 05:50:22 pm »
I am trying to remember how the menu looks exactly. Next to selecting booting from CD you need to set the spin button to one.
But I do not think you forgot that...

If you did that then there is possibly something going wrong in the USB stack...

Hard to tell from a distance. But that you get the message Insert CD ROM means the memboot disc works (but is normally does) and after that OS/2 can not find the CD player.

Good luck,

Roderick
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:53:24 pm by Roderick Klein »

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 06:10:51 pm »
Hi Martin,

as far as I remember: In the boot options menu on the last page (USB Bootoptions) you have to select the number of cd-rom drives attached and then select the Install from USB CD device option.
I hope this helps

Holger

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 07:11:28 pm »
Hi.

Yes, the good thing is that memboot disc works and it loads the boot menu. So the initial USB CD Boot works to select the options.

I'm trying to select the USB drive (as shown on the picture) but no luck yet.
I even tried enabled 1 of each USB host controller.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 08:26:15 pm »
Hi.

Yes, the good thing is that memboot disc works and it loads the boot menu. So the initial USB CD Boot works to select the options.

I'm trying to select the USB drive (as shown on the picture) but no luck yet.
I even tried enabled 1 of each USB host controller.

Regards

When you load eCS from DVD and you enter the preboot menu,. what is the amount of USB controllers set  to (per type ?).
Are all controllers set to 0 (including EHCI ?).
DId you set the amount of controllers to one because the different types where all set to 0 ?
It is possible this device only has USB 3.0 support.

Roderick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 10:34:41 pm »
Hi

By default it only sees 1 EHCI and the rest is on zero.

By the way I also tried turning the check on "Install from USB CD Device..." with the same results.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:55:49 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 01:18:24 am »
Martin, have you tried changing the positions of the AHCI and IDE in the setup you showed us.  I think the external DVD/USB drive presents itself as an IDE drive.

Another thing, how is USB setup in the bios?  You may have to set it up that it is active all the time and not just when the OS is up and running (that only works with windows).

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 11:53:13 am »
Martin, have you tried changing the positions of the AHCI and IDE in the setup you showed us.  I think the external DVD/USB drive presents itself as an IDE drive.

Another thing, how is USB setup in the bios?  You may have to set it up that it is active all the time and not just when the OS is up and running (that only works with windows).

It would make live simpler if it would present itself as IDE drive, but that is sadly not the case. A USB DVD/CD ROM drive is a special USB class.
Infact when you boot from a USB CD ROM player a special switch is added to USBD.SYS to make it work. (Choose edit config.sys in preboot menu to see this).

My guess is that his BIOS Is already set to active otherwise Martin would not be able to come into the pre boot menu and get the message he needs to insert CD ROM...

Roderick

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 03:22:19 pm »

My guess is that his BIOS Is already set to active otherwise Martin would not be able to come into the pre boot menu and get the message he needs to insert CD ROM...

Roderick

Not necessarily, it depends on several settings in the UEFI bios.  I have found such things for USB as full initialisation (all ports are on from power on), partial initialisation (checks if KB and mouse are there and if there is a bootable device, if so then boot from device but use the OS for full initialisation), only certain ports are initialisation at power on and EHCI may be switched on or off.

This all works for newer versions of windows since Microsoft developed it but it does make installing any other OS without an enabling certificate rather difficult.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 04:31:11 pm »
But when it starts loading it give me the message "Insert the eComStation CD....."

Perhaps a silly question, but did you try ejecting the CD, and inserting it again? I remember having to do that for some reason, a few years ago. In fact, just using <enter> might be all that it needs.

By default it only sees 1 EHCI and the rest is on zero.

This could be correct. I have two laptops that have only two EHCI adapters. Apparently, there is an internal hub that handles USB 1.x. Of course, if they are really USB 3.0, they aren't going to work. Adding extra USB drivers doesn't hurt anything, they just don't load. I do have one machine that will NOT boot, if there are not enough of each of the required drivers defined in CONFIG.SYS, but too many are just ignored.

I noticed in 2.jpg, that you did NOT select to install from a USB CD. It isn't going to work without that.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 10:51:10 pm »
I noticed in 2.jpg, that you did NOT select to install from a USB CD. It isn't going to work without that.

Yes, I already mark that with the same results.

The BIOS seems to be working. (Picture Attached)

Maybe this machine only has USB 3 and that is why it does not work at all. I see on Windows it has several USB ports, but externally I only see Port 2, 3, 4 (on the first USB root hub) as it is displayed on the HwInfo Picture.

I will try the silly things.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 01:44:05 am »
Martin, that is just the start of setting up the USB ports.  You need to go to the advanced bios interface and check there _ at least that is where I found a lot of extra settings for USB and other things that didn't appear in the standard bios interface.

I am assuming that the bios you have is very similar to the bios on the couple of ASUS A88XM-Plus boards that I have setup for clients.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 04:07:43 pm »
Hi

I tried the silly stuff, pressing enter several times and chaging the USB port where the DVD is plug without results.

I also search on the BIOS any advanced USB stuff and I was not able to find it. I even read the BIOS manual of that Thinkpad  - who does that? :)  -  and didn't find anything that can help.

I will try a different approach. I will see if the latest DemoCD boots.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 04:34:06 pm »
I tried the silly stuff, pressing enter several times and chaging the USB port where the DVD is plug without results.

I also search on the BIOS any advanced USB stuff and I was not able to find it. I even read the BIOS manual of that Thinkpad  - who does that? :)  -  and didn't find anything that can help.

Lenovo ThinPad Yoga 14 right? According to the specs, it has two USB 3.0 ports (they will have blue plastic in them), and one USB 2.0 port (Dark grey, or black plastic). The USB 3.0 ports might work, in USB 2.0 mode, if you turn off the USB 3.0 feature.

I doubt if a ThinkPad has any BIOS settings, other than the ones you show.

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 05:12:17 pm »
I have not installed  on that machine but the problem sounds like ans APIC driver problem. One of the settings for APIC plus the hard disk driver (Danis, etc) should do he trick. I have found some work better with SMP then /PIC rather than trying no SMP. Once installed the settings can be changed. At times the settings for install are different than the ones that work for the running system. Then also try the various disk driver choices per APIC settings.