Author Topic: PMMail spelling dictionaries  (Read 13050 times)

ivan

• View Profile
PMMail spelling dictionaries
« on: September 21, 2015, 10:35:12 pm »
I use PMMail 2-20-2382 and am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to add a different dictionary, for example UK English and/or French and run them beside each other? 

Is it even possible or would I have to create a custom word list myself and use that?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: PMMail spelling dictionaries
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 06:22:17 am »
I use PMMail 2-20-2382 and am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to add a different dictionary, for example UK English and/or French and run them beside each other? 

Is it even possible or would I have to create a custom word list myself and use that?

I don't know how to do it with PMMail 2.x, but PMMail 3,x has added the ASPELL package, which supports many languages. See http://pmmail.os2voice.org/index.php?title=PMMail_for_OS/2.

Note that the method to purchase the program has changed, but proceeds still go to supporting the VOICE web servers, and any left overs go to other projects for OS/2. VOICE is a non profit organization.

xynixme

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:32:59 pm »

FWIW: according to the help of this version of PMMail/2 (installed, but not in use), you can use an external editor. Like EPM, with its collection of (sometimes slightly outdated) dictionaries, including but not limited to e.g. French and UK English:

Catala.dct
    Danskb.dct
    Deutsch.dct
    Espana.dct
    Francais.dct
    Italiano.dct
    Nederlnd.dct
    Nedplus.dct
    Norbok.dct
    Nornyn.dct
    Portugal.dct
    Suomi.dct
    Svensk.dct
    Uk.dct
    US.DCT

Or download internet word lists, because it seems to be a sorted text file. Or follow Doug's instructions this time, and upgrade.

BTW, is OSLEXAM.DLL documented? If so, then perhaps it could be used to create several dictionary files for apps with a known, clear own ditionary file format.

Code: [Select]
Library:                  OSLEXAM
Description:              OS/2 - Poe 1.1 - NLP service
Data:                     NONSHARED
Initialization:           Per-Process

no. type address  file  mem   flags
  1 CODE 00000200 0fc12 0fc12
  2 CODE 00010000 08270 08270
  3 DATA 00018400 000c6 00100
  4 DATA 00000000 00000 00850
  5 DATA 00000000 00000 050b0
  6 DATA 00018600 01bdd 01be0

Exports:
ord seg offset name
   1    1  0000  LEXIS          exported, shared data

xynixme

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 05:35:19 pm »

FWIW: according to the help of this version of PMMail/2 (installed, but not in use), you can use an external editor. Like EPM, with its collection of (sometimes slightly outdated) dictionaries, including but not limited to e.g. French and UK English:

Catala.dct
    Danskb.dct
    Deutsch.dct
    Espana.dct
    Francais.dct
    Italiano.dct
    Nederlnd.dct
    Nedplus.dct
    Norbok.dct
    Nornyn.dct
    Portugal.dct
    Suomi.dct
    Svensk.dct
    Uk.dct
    US.DCT

Or download internet word lists, because it seems to be a sorted text file. Or follow Doug's instructions this time, and upgrade.

BTW, is OSLEXAM.DLL documented? If so, then perhaps it could be used to create several dictionary files for apps (like PMMail/2 v2) with a known, clear own dictionary file format.

Code: [Select]
Library:                  OSLEXAM
Description:              OS/2 - Poe 1.1 - NLP service
Data:                     NONSHARED
Initialization:           Per-Process

no. type address  file  mem   flags
  1 CODE 00000200 0fc12 0fc12
  2 CODE 00010000 08270 08270
  3 DATA 00018400 000c6 00100
  4 DATA 00000000 00000 00850
  5 DATA 00000000 00000 050b0
  6 DATA 00018600 01bdd 01be0

Exports:
ord seg offset name
   1    1  0000  LEXIS          exported, shared data

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 09:23:57 pm »
FWIW: according to the help of this version of PMMail/2 (installed, but not in use), you can use an external editor.
Link or citation?

Like EPM, with its collection of (sometimes slightly outdated) dictionaries, including but not limited to e.g. French and UK English:
EPM just uses the Netscape dicts. Prior versions of that where used by IBM Works. Their format is binary, so I don't understand what want you do with an editor.

BTW: EPM's custom additions for the Netscape dicts are simple lists as you describe.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 12:13:17 am »
Quote from: André Heldoorn on Today at 05:35:19 pm

FWIW: according to the help of this version of PMMail/2 (installed, but not in use), you can use an external editor.

Link or citation?

Yes, that is true. You can do the same in PMMail 3.x. If you edit mail with the external editor, and if the editor has a suitable dictionary, you can spell check your work with it. I am not too sure how well languages, other than English, would work. PMMail 3.x knows how to convert special characters to something that the e-mail system can handle. I don't think PMMail 2.x knows about that, so you would need a filter to do it. Personally, I always found the external editor feature to be more bother than it is worth, but I was always able to use the US English only built in spell checker by adding changed words (not many) to the personal dictionary. BTW, that still works, with PMMail 3.x, if you don't install ASpell support, but ASpell does a MUCH better job, and it supports more languages properly. At one time, I even had Lotus Smartsuite working as the external editor, but it was way too slow to load, and you had to pay attention to use the proper save format. I expect that OpenOffice would also work.

FWIW, you could probably make a filter to run ASpell on messages in PMMail 2.x, if you can figure it out. I am not sure how you would get feedback to indicate errors, and allow them to be fixed.

The filter mechanism (once it is fixed, to work properly) is probably the most powerful part of PMMail. It could do everything that the new PMMail can do, if you can figure out how to do it, but it would be an awkward thing to use.