Author Topic: 1TB HDD and GUID Partiton Table  (Read 6055 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
1TB HDD and GUID Partiton Table
« on: September 23, 2015, 05:53:55 pm »
Hi.

I preferred to do a new thread since my case is a little bit different. I want to have dual boot Win10 and eCS 2.2.
Now I'm stuck on the GUID Partition Table (GPT) error for both disks (1TB and 16GB).

Here I post some screenshots of the eCS 2.2 Installer error and a Partition Mess I have in Windows.

There is not easy way out, right? Do I need to wipe everything, create partitions with eCS, and install eCS first and after that install Win10?

I also wonder (just wonder, I know it is hard to fix) which drivers should be updated or created to have "GPT Friendly" eCS. 

Regards
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:21:47 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: 1TB HDD and GUID Partiton Table
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 04:45:35 am »
I don't think there is such a thing as GPT friendly eCS so you have to start all over with old style MBR, dothe partitioning in eCS (or with DFSee) and first install eCS. I'm sure someone who has actually done this expand on these directions.

Michaelhz

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 11:56:46 am »
Arca Noae has this on the roadmap for long term. See https://www.arcanoae.com/roadmap/

Maybe they can provide a status....
Michael

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 05:21:06 pm »
I also wonder (just wonder, I know it is hard to fix) which drivers should be updated or created to have "GPT Friendly" eCS. 

Misread this the first time.
For a data drive, there could just be a filter driver which translates the GPT table to regular MBR layout and perhaps an updated LVM driver or perhaps the filter can also take care of the LVM info as well. This approach still leaves the 2TB drive limit but larger drives can be split into multiple drives.
For booting, I'd guess os2ldr, as well as LVM and the actual DASD drivers. Probably still stuck with the 2TB limit as the kernel itself only knows CHS layout so some filtering would be needed.