OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Internet

Questions on Security certificates and Wifi

(1/1)

melf:
Do someone know something about security certificates when using Wifi?For example in the university world a world wide Wifi network is Eduroam, but it demands the use of Verisign security certificates, otherwise you can't connect. I guess that bigger companies use it too.  Would it be possible to implement the use of such certificates in Xwlan or is that a very complicated matter? Would the use of such certificates imply that (in such case) Mensys had to pay some licence fees?

Andy Willis:
I believe these may "work" with the latest wpa_supplicant builds by Paul Smedley.  I have not tested the certificates but have with Cisco LEAP which while entirely different did require special additions to the wpa_supplicant that is in the later versions (as is the certificate code).  However, these do not work with xwlan.  I used the wpa_gui to make the connection but wpa_gui will not launch the supplicant so you have to build a conf file and figure out the command line parameters to call wpa_supplicant and then you can use the the wpa_gui to setup the connection.  I do not remember the parameters as it was a while ago (one of his earliest builds) that I was testing it.

melf:
Thanks for your answer Andy. Then, I suppose that it would be possible to implement this function if XWlan would become updated and that it even might be quite "doable" ?

Andy Willis:

--- Quote from: melf on March 11, 2013, 11:28:41 pm ---Thanks for your answer Andy. Then, I suppose that it would be possible to implement this function if XWlan would become updated and that it even might be quite "doable" ?

--- End quote ---
I don't know how easy or hard it may be to add to xwlan but it should be possible.  wpa_gui allows selection of WPA2-Enterprise (EAP) and then it has the input for Identity, Password, and CA certificate.  What I do not know is whether you input the path to your certificate or if it expects it to be loaded by something else that it points to and then you just put in the name... if it has to be imported I do not know what it would be imported into.  I think though it points to the path (or it may need to be in the same directory as wpa_gui and just give the filename).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version