Author Topic: New OS/2 distribution  (Read 25341 times)

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
Re: New OS/2 distribution
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 04:33:26 pm »
FWIW, I never had any trouble running my registered copy of HOBlink X11 on any version of eCS.  The regular version shouldn't have any version checks in it AFAIK.

Ashdown

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 04:49:18 pm »
This is wonderful news and I am so grateful to Arca Noae and all involved for making this effort.

I very much look forward to hearing more news abourt the project and wish all involved much success.

I am relieved to hear that there will continue to be development of OS/2 / eComstation as it is my main work platform.

Thank you Lewis and all those working with Arca Noae.  A very big thank you indeed!

Dave

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 01:53:49 pm »
Good news indeed.

What I have not seen lately from is any news about raid arrays. Arca Noae had said in the past that new raid devices might be supported. I for one would like to see the LSI MegaRaid supported. They work well with SSD devices.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 09:44:07 pm »
Hi

I was just checking Lewis presentation again, on one the slides it says.

- We want to hear from you
- Send us comments and wishlists
- Use the Arcan Noae contact form or email
sales@arcanoae.com
- Want to see third-part drivers or software in Blue Lion? Get involved !

Do you guys see like a good idea to start a new thread for "Wishlist for Blue Lion" and try to organize some ideas to send them over to Arca? (I just started on this thread: OS/2 - eCS - Blue Lion - Wishlist 2015)

Regards
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:20:49 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 08:45:56 pm »
Quote from: Martin Iturbide
Do you guys see like a good idea to start a new thread for "Wishlist for Blue Lion" and try to organize some ideas to send them over to Arca?

I would like to see an average color scheme. I will find proper titlebar background and add new window theme to Nice-OS/2 Enhancer.
I like the name "Blue Lion". There is a popular book, "Disobedient Child of Biosphere", written in Russian and not translated yet, that explains why and how exactly human sees wild cats (quite similar to popular books by Richard Dawkins).

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 06:23:26 am »
Good news indeed.

What I have not seen lately from is any news about raid arrays. Arca Noae had said in the past that new raid devices might be supported. I for one would like to see the LSI MegaRaid supported. They work well with SSD devices.

I have need of a PCI SATA adapter, so I got a Startech 4 port SATA RAID controller (there is an equivalent for PCIe). The first thing I did, was make sure that it would run a 1 TB disk in an old machine as a normal IDE disk. Yes, it does, but it took me about 2 days to fill it up.  ;D  I have a 1TB disk, but the docs say the hardware can support any size disk, although there is a 2 TB limit for disks in a raid array. Apparently, OS/2 also has a 2 TB limit.

Having seen this thread, I decided to try RAID, since the docs indicate that it is really done in the BIOS. I took an old 500 GB disk, and paired it with a new 1 TB disk. The RAID array is, of course, 500 GB (but it is only a test). I set it up as a RAID1 setup (I can't see any advantage to using any of the other options, although a raid 1+spare could be good), and it started to do the rebuild. Then, I booted eCS 2.2 b2, with fixes, and it "sees" the disk. Actually MiniLVM "sees" both disks and complains that the second disk has a corrupted partition table (the boot drive is still on an IDE disk). The 500 GB disk had an NTFS volume on it, so I used LVM to delete that, and put a new LVM bootable volume on it. I carefully ignored the second drive and saved the configuration. It appears to have done that, with no complaints, so I formatted it as JFS and I proceeded to copy data to the paired drive, which appears to work okay (the rebuild is still going on, in the background, apparently with no OS support, and for no good reason at this time, but that seems to be what it does). Another anomaly is that the SATA drives come before the IDE drives (according to MiniLVM). That doesn't seem to cause a problem.

There are windows, and Linux, "drivers". From what I can tell by reading the docs, all that does is give the user a way to see what is going on with the raid while the system is running, and it will e-mail somebody with information (which is configurable - I would assume that a disk failure would be the most important bit of information). It would seem that a user doesn't need that, but they should reboot occasionally to see what the raid has to say since there seems to be no other way to know if something goes bad, when the driver is not active.

If you are looking for a performance boost, forget it. This thing runs at IDE speeds. The PCIe version should run faster. I don't see any indication that it will run AHCI, which should not be a problem.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 07:52:00 pm »
I decided to try RAID

The BIOS says it will start the rebuild after the boot is finished. 10 hours later, there was no indication that it did anything, so I used the BIOS to do the rebuild. That seems to be progressing normally, but it looks like the "driver" might be needed to kick it off while the system is running. More later...

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 03:35:15 am »
More later...
\

Well, the disk was mirrored by the BIOS routines, but eCS sees it as two drives So close, but no cigar...