Author Topic: Crash on Boot with JFS  (Read 10354 times)

Doug Clark

• View Profile
Crash on Boot with JFS
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:13:43 pm »
Rebooted this morning and got the following message

The system detected an internal processing error at
    location ##1800:05b5 - 0003:05b5
    65535, 9051
    JFSBOOT: Error reading in FS
    1386090f
    Inental revision 14.106_SMP
    The system is stopped. Record all of the above information and
    contact your service representative.

I can ALT-F1 and boot to the command prompt.
I can boot to a maintenance partition and access the boot drive (C:)
I cannot ALT-F1 and restore my last archive

The crash happens after Loading OS2LVM.DMD appears at the bottom of the screen.

Any ideas on how to fix?

Or how to restore the system?

Alternatives I am considering
1) re-install ECS as an update rather than a new install
2) xcopy C:\OS2\ARCHIVES, xcopy rest of the drive EXCEPT C:\OS2, reinstall ECS as fresh (i.e. format drive), copy back drive except C:\OS2, ALT-F1 and restore my last archive
3) ??

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Crash on Boot with JFS
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 08:09:20 pm »
It may be your hard drive starting to fail. If you're lucky the LVM info is simply corrupt, try DFSee.
Restoring the archive will probably not help. Formatting the drive may help, especially a long format.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 08:14:04 pm »
I can boot to a maintenance partition and access the boot drive (C:)
I would booted to maintenance partition and try to backup all (zip -rS9 zipfile c:\*), then format c:, and then write back the original content. Maybe sysinst c: is required too. And see what happens. Before formating you can also try chkdsk /F c:

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 09:19:31 pm »
Andi - thanks for the suggestion. That will probably be the shortest way to fix the problem.

The hard drive is a Samsung 128 GB EVO SSD. It is about 1 1/2 years old.

chkdsk /F reports no errors and no corrections. It appears from CHKDSK that everything is fine.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 03:44:07 am »
Hi

I have experienced a similar problem but in my case could not boot an eCS system with the affected disk attached.

I could access the disk using DFSee (from both the DFSee cd and using dFSee in Windows7) and enlisted Jans help to analyse the problem which seemed to be caused by missing JFS data in the boot sector of each volume. How the data went missing I am not sure. I did discover that my PSU was showing signs of age which may have been to blame.

As you can boot the drive to a command prompt and access it from an eCS install cd your problem may not be as bad. I would follow Andis suggestion of backing up files on all volumes involved but suggest repartitioning the disk as necessary to reinstate any possible missing boot sector data before reformatting and copying files back. Might be worth checking PSU is working OK as well.

Regards

Pete

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:01:05 am by Pete »

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:31:54 am »
Any ideas on how to fix?

Format slow and ACPI-3.23.02 run better that others more new. In a Dell pc.
Saludos

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 08:28:43 pm »
Format slow and ACPI-3.23.02 run better that others more new. In a Dell pc.

I would not even consider doing a slow format on a SSD. It may need a "trim" operation, which you probably need to do in windows, but newer SSDs don't need that.

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 02:58:48 pm »
I have found that if you push a JFS partition repeatedly to full status at some point it will just crash. It could be due to excessive fragmentation. I therefore only use C: as a boot partition and put data on other partitions. This allows keeping the C: drive from running out unexpectedly and also allows a reload of the OS without loosing any data. By full status I mean within 10% of the end.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 11:13:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice on full vs quick format. Since it is a SSD my understaning is full format just uses up more of the life of the drive and doesn't buy anything. On rotating media I always due a slow or full format, and for SCSI drives I always do a low level format with the adapter. Learned that (as I have most things in life) the hard way.

My C partition/ drive is 2 GB. I install a number of WinOS2 applications and some of those cannot handle a drive with more than 2 GB. It is easier to keep the boot partition at or less than 2 GB and install the WinOS2 stuff there than it is to use those programs that appear to consume free space on the drive in order to fool the WinOS2 install program.

As a consequence I keep most programs on another partition and keep between 500 MB to 1 GB of free space on the boot drive/partition.

I reformatted by boot drive (C:) today, and unzipped the files I had zipped off the drive, rebooted and got the same error.

So I reformatted the drive again, unzipped the data back to the drive (C:) again, and tried a migration install of ECS 2.2 beta. It booted a couple of times successfully during the install, but when I got to the end of the install I got the same message.

I also tried DFSEE yesterday to fix up the JFS paritition and that sorta of work, but at one point it stopped and complained that a driver was corrupt.

So to recap: I can ALT-F1 boot to a command prompt. I cannot ALT-restore an archive, or ALT-revert to VGA.

I am beginning to think there is some interaction or conflict between the JFS driver/IFS stuff and some other driver or drivers. I just can't for the life of me figure out which. I don't think it is a format issue since reformatting and doing a migration install eventually lead to the exact same error.

Is there some debug/logging facility for either JFS or boot-up that might help point to the conflict?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 02:14:31 am »
Hi Doug

Have you tried repartitioning the disk? ie delete failing partition and then recreate it.

What driver did dfsee complain about?

Regards

Pete

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 11:30:05 am »
Yes.

I "secure erased" the Samsung SSD using Samsung's utility which is supposed to remove everything from the drive.
repartitioned (or actually re-volume-ized) the hard drive with different sized volumes using the disk maintenance tool on the ECS boot CD. Formatted the volumes from the command line of the ECS CD,
ran SYSINSTX.COM (which I guess I didn't need to do),
unzipped the contents of all the volumes back onto the volumes,
Ran the ECS install choosing to not format the drive - which means it installs in migration mode,
And after the install completed recopied my CONFIG.SYS (which had been zipped) back, and the problem reappeared.

DFSEE did not say which driver was corrupt. I was using DFSEE on the assumption that the something was wrong with the file system or the master boot record or one of those hard drivey type things that sometimes goes wrong. I was using DFSEE after booting from my maintenance partition.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 08:36:57 pm »
Hi Doug

If you ran through the eCS install reboots without problems but this problem resurfaced after copying back your old config.sys file it is suggestive that the problem is within the config.sys file.

I am wondering if the problem is acpi related. If using the line PSD=ACPI.PSD add the /VW switch - or purchase an Arca Noae driver pack subscription to update to the latest ACPI driver (amongst others).

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 08:57:21 pm »
The problem has to be in config.sys. Could be a timing issue where something has a dependency and is launched before the dependency is finished loading, quite possible with fast hardware. Could also be something as simple as too long of a PATH or LIBPATH or the ordering in it.
You're going to have to diff config.sys and config.x and consider the differences, both order and other (base)devices that have been added.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 04:12:46 am »
I ended up reformtting the hard drive and reinstalling ECS 2.2 beta from scratch. I finally decided I would probably spend less time doing that in the long run than trying the other alternatives.

And I found out that you do indeed need SYSINSTX.COM to make the partition bootable, even if you have zipped the system files (e.g. zip -r9S)

But now I have an issue with the WPS - which I will post on a new thread.