Author Topic: Error with Vbox  (Read 9918 times)

TeLLie

• View Profile
Error with Vbox
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:00:50 am »
Hi all

I have setup Vbox in  Win10 and running Ecs beta 2.2
But i get now for the 4 time a error when i startup the Ecs VB
Read it as i installed Ecs 4 times and after  a restart i get this...

The system detected an internal processing error at
    location ##1800:05b5 - 0003:05b5
    65535, 9051
    JFSBOOT: Error reading in FS
    0a8606a9
    Inental revision 14.106_SMP
    The system is stopped. Record all of the above information and
    contact your service representative.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Error with Vbox
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 11:44:04 am »
It appears that VBox running in win 10 does nor recognise a bootable JFS partition.

Have you tried to use an HPFS partition as you boot partition with a JFS partition for everything else?

TeLLie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 02:19:33 pm »
Hi Ivan

I have successfully boot those VB for several times, but that error comes mostly after i shutdown the computer and start it again the next day  ?

I will try to setup Ubuntu and make there a image

TeLLie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 06:01:31 pm »
Hihi

I installed Ubuntu on a different HD and then install vbox
Then i install ECS and reboot some times to see if i get error back, and yes after several boots later there i see same showing up!!!

i stop now with OS2 ....

TeLLie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 08:01:01 pm »
Re Hi

Thats a poor choice of words.
Referred to stop trying to install OS 2 in VBox
And NOT stopping with plain OS2 of course :)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 08:24:39 pm »
Odd. I was using VBox 5.0.0, when I tried Win 10 (Pro 64 bit). I had no problems, so I didn't do any extensive testing with VBox, but it was used more than once. Win 10 was causing enough problems without worrying about that (VBox was one of the few things that actually worked properly). Since then, I went back to Win 7 (10 was ridiculous), and I have updated to VBox 5.0.8. Still no problems.

I use nothing except JFS, and I am using AHCI for the drives. The setup is almost identical to what I use in a real machine:
C: is a 2 GB JFS boot drive (eCS 2.1, with fixes).
M: is a 2 GB JFS boot drive (eCS 2.2 b2 with fixes).
W: is my program/data drive. 25 GB JFS advanced.
Each drive is in it's own VDI, so I can attach, or remove, them as I please, or I can attach an additional drive. As with a real machine, I select the boot drive with Air Boot, after starting the virtual machine.

When I install eCS, I do NOT use the Virtual option. That seems to cause trouble (I don't remember exactly why). The Modern with ACPI option seems to work best. You do need to change the default setup so that VBox presents a more modern machine to the software. Also, DO NOT try to use more than one processor in VBox. That seems to cause problems too, although I haven't seen what you see. Mostly it just stops running, requiring a reset (that may be fixed, I haven't tried recently).

I have also used the Export Appliance thing, then Import on another host (including a Linux Mint host), so I get exactly the same setup (except it is smart enough to change the MAC address that is created for the NIC). I also need to change the machine name, so I don't have duplicates.

So, it seems that eCS, using JFS or not, in a VBOX under Win 10 (or Linux) is not the problem. I need to ask if you updated everything after you installed, because some of the drivers in eCS 2.2 b2 do have problems (ACPI, AHCI, and USB, specifically). I am using the latest from Arca Noae, with good results. I also had one problem (a few years ago), where capping the processor at 50% allowed me to finish an install. After I got everything installed, I was able to put it back to 100%.

One other thing, that seems to make eCS (and WinXP) work better, in VBox, is to present the sound as a SoundBlaster 16. It seems to take a lot less processor power, the sound is good, and it doesn't break up.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 07:03:29 pm »
I have the exact  same error - same except for the value after the "Error reading in FS"

The system detected an internal processing error at
    location ##1800:05b5 - 0003:05b5
    65535, 9051
    JFSBOOT: Error reading in FS
    1386090f
    Inental revision 14.106_SMP
    The system is stopped. Record all of the above information and
    contact your service representative.

This appears to happen after (or while) loading OS2LVM.DMD - at least that is the last thing I see on the screen before the crash.

I can boot to a maintaince partion, or from the ECS CD and access the boot drive (C:). It appears that I can get to all the files.

I can also ALT-F1 and boot to a command prompt.

I cannot ALT-F1 and restore my last archive.

Is there anyway of just replacing the part that is messing up JFS and preserving the rest of the install?

If I xcopy the entire C drive to another partition and re-install ECS, can I xcopy back what I saved and have it work?

Suggestions?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 08:06:17 pm »
This may be related to a problem where the machine gets turned off, before the disk finishes writing the last data sent to it (usually happens on fast machines, with slow disks). If you can get it to boot,  go to Desktop Properties-> e(orX)Shutdown-> and enable the Delay setting (near the bottom). That causes it to wait for 4 seconds after the last write. 4 seconds is obviously longer than required, but it is better than trying to figure out what went wrong. Apparently, the latest XWP versions have a fix for that, but I am not convinced that they added enough delay. The delay setting still works, and seems to work around the problem (if that is what it really is).

Suggestions?

If you boot from the eCS install CD, you can go to a command line, and run CHKDSK /F. That might fix the problem, or give you more information.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 08:53:30 pm »
My only drive is a Samsung EVO SSDD

What is odd is that CHKDSK  /F:3 reports no errors when run from the ECS install CD or when run from my maintenance partition.

I am puzzled why I can ALT-F1 to a command line, which is essentially booting to the C: partition, but when I attempt to boot normally it crashes. I assume booting to the command line is using the same file system as booting normally, meaning I don't think it is really a JFS file system problem.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 09:34:49 pm »
I am puzzled why I can ALT-F1 to a command line, which is essentially booting to the C: partition, but when I attempt to boot normally it crashes. I assume booting to the command line is using the same file system as booting normally, meaning I don't think it is really a JFS file system problem.

That is odd, but not impossible. Which version of JFS are you using? I know that there is a fix in JFS-1.09.06 (from Arca Noae), that fixes a bad problem (very intermittent), that CHKDSK doesn't find. I don't know what the symptoms are, but it is possible that this is what you see. AFAIK, the only recovery is format, and restore your backup (or re-install), then get the update installed so it doesn't happen again.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 11:45:58 pm »
 @Doug Clark,

When you boot to command line with Alt-F1 you are using a different CONFIG.SYS file. It is here: C:\OS2\BOOT\CONFIG.X. Might be worth comparing that one to your 'real' CONFIG.SYS to see if there are any differences, including order of drivers...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:51:42 pm by David McKenna »

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 11:16:41 pm »
That is a good suggestion.  Haven't been able to find the problem that way , although I have not made the order of how the drivers appear in the CONFIG.SYS identical. Guess I have to try that.