Author Topic: Blue Lion by Arca Noae  (Read 13365 times)

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
Blue Lion by Arca Noae
« on: November 09, 2015, 03:10:31 pm »
http://www.os2world.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21129:arca-noae-blue-lion-is-go&catid=80&Itemid=518
I hope they succeed. It would be nice to see a newer version of OS/2 - eCS.
https://www.arcanoae.com/blue-lion-go/

It says the name is only the project name.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:36:44 pm by Martin Iturbide »
BigGoofyGuy

David Kiley

• View Profile
Re: Blue Lion by Arca Noae
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 02:18:39 am »
I hope they are successful as well.
I do wonder if with such a small community if it is good for two separate distributions (aka ECS vs Blue Lion) actively developed.. since it means the already small base is going to be split between the two which would limit revenue. Perhaps there is enough enterprise customers to go around though.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 09:45:06 am »
I hope they are successful as well.
I do wonder if with such a small community if it is good for two separate distributions (aka ECS vs Blue Lion) actively developed.. since it means the already small base is going to be split between the two which would limit revenue. Perhaps there is enough enterprise customers to go around though.

What evidence is there that eCS is still actively developed?

David Kiley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 11:08:29 am »
What evidence is there that eCS is still actively developed?

Well Joachim Benjamins  posted in July that he and some other developers are still working on ECS. Maybe there have been developments since then that I am not aware of though.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 05:10:55 pm »
David, that was one post after a two year silence that essentially said they had a problem and could the community help.

Those is not the signs you expect from an organisation that is actively promoting a product.

David Kiley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 12:58:01 am »
David, that was one post after a two year silence that essentially said they had a problem and could the community help.

Those is not the signs you expect from an organisation that is actively promoting a product.

I reread the thread and don't see the reason as the post as just "getting help" - people offered help themselves from what I see. But I do see what you are saying that the lack of interaction with the community has been disappointing.
Honestly that is not exactly something new though.. I was pretty disappointed years ago with Serenity Systems too when I emailed the then owner Bob St. John about interest in promoting os/2 a a user desktop and he listed all the reasons it wasn't suitable as a desktop OS. He was only interested in enterprise.

Serenity was into os/2 solely for business reasons... and we the community have our own reasons :).. it would be nice if they would match up to some degree. Maybe Arca Noae will bridge the gap.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 01:05:35 am by David Kiley »

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 05:52:36 pm »
I have no doubt Arca Noae will do that. They do seem to realise well that besides the corporate clients that they need to generate income they also need the community, for feedback, testing, development etc etc. Many of the developers who work for AN are active in the community and they seem to be listened to now)