Author Topic: OSS Project ideas for OS2VOICE  (Read 8645 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
OSS Project ideas for OS2VOICE
« on: December 02, 2015, 09:41:43 pm »
Hi

I recalled Roderick saying at Warpstock 2015 that OS2VOICE has some funds available and he was looking for some ideas for Open Source projects on the platform to sponsor.  Here it is a link to his presentation.

If Roderick is around maybe he can tell us if he is still looking for ideas

Community member are welcome to share any ideas of already existing open source software that can be good to port to OS/2 or any other OSS project that could be created for the platform. We are only providing ideas, OS2VOICE board is the one that has the final word and the conditions, but I think that it is good to share ideas. 

So, what new open source projects will be interesting for the OS/2-eCS-BlueLion platform ?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Pete

• View Profile
Re: OSS Project ideas for OS2VOICE
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 01:07:40 am »
Hi Martin

As Tame/2 no longer provides a frontend for my scanner (the scanner is not in the Tame/2 database and cannot be added as there does not seem to be a way to update the database) I think an up-to-date port of xsane - http://www.xsane.org/ -  could be of use to anyone with a scanner not supported by Tame/2.

Regards

Pete

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 01:46:54 am »
It would nice to update the MMedia & WPS to be able to play most formats.

Quote from: Dave Yeo on July 28, 2014, 04:52:53 am

If we're making wishes, the ultimate would be to integrate FFmpegs libavcodec into the system.  Play pretty well anything and encode most things, or with some supporting libs, most everything except ultimotion which it can only decode :)

Greggory

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 06:53:35 am »
Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol support would be a needed addition for a modern operating system. Devices are moving away from USB mass storage (mounting the device as a drive) as it seems that newer operating systems have lost the ability to lock a file  :) , or more likely users are not allowed to use their devices as they'd like but rather have to use them as the big media companies would like. eg I just picked up a cheap Android tablet and even though the instructions claim it supports USB mass storage, it only actually supports MTP and PTP and the PTP seems newer then camera15 supports.
Options seem to include updating gphoto2 OS/2 support, a project I just found and need to investigate further once github loads for me or porting libmtp http://libmtp.sourceforge.net/ which I just built but has problems on OS/2 and needs further porting and a front end written, basically a minimal file manager.

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 04:13:31 pm »
"Sane 2 Twain" as Peter Koller began to write.
Multimedia audio, video and PTP/MTP integrated with the wps.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 05:35:54 pm »
Well, from my point of view it is completely different, so the question I would do it because OS2 users sometimes use another operating system?

The Tame2 program is good, but in the future I will not be necessary, most current scanners have the option of sending it to FTP. I have an FTP server installed both at work and at home and step scaner documents directly to FTP server without any software.

I think these are some programs to bear.
I have to boot windows to draw in 2D. or 3D.Many users printing in 3D, using these programs.
I liked the Qcad 2D and  the OpenSCAD in 3D. I'm using the BlueCad, since its inception, but it is very outdated.

Much depends on whether the new idea will be to maintain OS2 users, or if you want to attract new users. For new users to attract more applications are needed.
Saludos

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 05:58:33 pm »
Hi.

My idea will be to try to focus on the long term future of the platform. I understand that we all need drivers and application, but the platform still have a limitation on the freedom of adoption because of close source components.

A "Presentation Management" cloning project is my idea as a critical component that is needed to be open sourced and also updated in the future. I think we need an effort on trying to clone PMMERGE little by little and offering updated features for the API while retaining compatibility with the current OS/2 Warp 4.52 version.

It can be interesting on trying to grab what can be useful from the FreePM project and try to create a "New PMMERGE.DLL" that will intercept calls to the file, and rename the original PMMERGE to XMMERGE.DLL (for example) and try to go little by little replacing the PM functions. New functionalities can also be added to the "New PMMERGE.DLL" but it is important that this replacement works on OS2-eCS instead of trying a new approach that will break the legacy PM apps that we have.

I know that people wants drivers, features, applications, but we are not thinking on our long term future. We need to liberate and clone the components that are the soul of OS/2 like Kernel, CPI and Presentation Manager to be noticed as a platform with a future and expand our user base.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 11:36:38 pm »
Hi Dave,

Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol support would be a needed addition for a modern operating system. Devices are moving away from USB mass storage (mounting the device as a drive) as it seems that newer operating systems have lost the ability to lock a file  :) , or more likely users are not allowed to use their devices as they'd like but rather have to use them as the big media companies would like. eg I just picked up a cheap Android tablet and even though the instructions claim it supports USB mass storage, it only actually supports MTP and PTP and the PTP seems newer then camera15 supports.
Options seem to include updating gphoto2 OS/2 support, a project I just found and need to investigate further once github loads for me or porting libmtp http://libmtp.sourceforge.net/ which I just built but has problems on OS/2 and needs further porting and a front end written, basically a minimal file manager.

I built libmtp a while ago - there were some issues with filenames - perhaps due to unicode issues - but I was about to transfer files to/from an android device using the command line. In the pipe dream todo list is to fix the issues and write a netdrive plugin that can use mtp....