Author Topic: Systemload and CPUTEMP - Question  (Read 9512 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Systemload and CPUTEMP - Question
« on: November 15, 2015, 03:23:55 pm »
Mentioned in another thread I tried to use the Programs CPUTEMP and Systemload. Both are working quite well  :)

But I do have one question:

Please take a look at Picture CPUTEMP1: the Program Sysload does not show the Temperature in the program, may the desktop Resolution (1920X1080 FullHD) be to high?

Thanks for hints - and for programming this!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:43:57 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Systemload and CPUTEMP - Question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 08:14:07 pm »
Please take a look at Picture CPUTEMP1: the Program Sysload does not show the Temperature in the program, may the desktop Resolution (1920X1080 FullHD) be to high?

It looks like there is part of a "T" on the right side of the blocks (meaning that the temperature is outside of the small windows). Can you stretch the main window, and make it show? Perhaps a smaller system font would help.

FWIW, I don't even see that display in Sysload on my Asus A88MX-A (AMD A6 processor), or on either of my Intel based ThinkPads (T510, and L530), but it looks like the CPUTemp thing isn't working on any of them.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 10:43:17 pm »

It looks like there is part of a "T" on the right side of the blocks (meaning that the temperature is outside of the small windows). Can you stretch the main window, and make it show? Perhaps a smaller system font would help.

Hi Doug,

thanks for your suggestions, but no difference. I already strechted the window to fullscreen before. I changed the Fonts as you adviced, even with the size "6" there is no difference. And yes, there is the "T" right beginning at the right side of the windows, so I guess there seems to be the third scale for the temperature. I changed program settings as well, but none with success.

Thanks,

Sigurd

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 03:45:57 am »
FWIW, I don't even see that display in Sysload on my Asus A88MX-A (AMD A6 processor)

Found that problem. SystemLoad doesn't include CPUTEMP.DLL. Once I got that from the CPUTEMP package, it started to work.

I changed program settings as well, but none with success.

It looks like there is something more basic at work. I changed my ThinkPad T510 to use hyperthreading, so it thinks there are 4 CPUs (it works well enough to get some pictures). By changing the area where the information is displayed, I get what is in 1x4.jpg, 2x2.jpg, and 4x1.jpg. As you can see the display appears to be correct. I use Panorama at 1600x900, which is the default screen resolution. If anything, 1920x1080 should be better, on a 1920x1080 screen, but I suppose there may be an error in calculating the box size with the larger resolution. I can't change to 1920x1080, but you may be able to change to 1600x900 to test that.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 02:59:40 pm »
Hi Sigurd

Is RDMSR.SYS loaded in config.sys?

I ask because until I installed that driver I saw the same display as yourself; now sl displays Temp column properly. Sadly no temperatures are displayed.

I suspect that is because I have no idea where to find the ACPI Thermal zone pathname which seems to be required on the cpu page of the properties.

Regards

Pete

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 03:29:12 pm »

Hi Pete,

thanks, but the driver is already loaded. The temperature is displayed OK in the XCenter (please see at one of my pictures above).
I do have no "Path to ACPI Thermal Zone Pathname" as well, may Doug has one?

Thanks again!

FWIW, I don't even see that display in Sysload on my Asus A88MX-A (AMD A6 processor)
It looks like there is something more basic at work. I changed my ThinkPad T510 to use hyperthreading, so it thinks there are 4 CPUs (it works well enough to get some pictures). By changing the area where the information is displayed, I get what is in 1x4.jpg, 2x2.jpg, and 4x1.jpg. As you can see the display appears to be correct. I use Panorama at 1600x900, which is the default screen resolution. If anything, 1920x1080 should be better, on a 1920x1080 screen, but I suppose there may be an error in calculating the box size with the larger resolution. I can't change to 1920x1080, but you may be able to change to 1600x900 to test that.

Hi Doug,

sorry, no, does not make a difference here.

Thanks!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 04:23:13 pm »
I have nothing entered in "Path to ACPI Thermal Zone Pathname" and the temperature widget as well as systemload both seem to work fine with an old core2duo.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 06:05:53 pm »
I do have no "Path to ACPI Thermal Zone Pathname" as well, may Doug has one?

No. Mine just works by default (but only on the Intel machines).

I can confirm that not having the driver loaded does cause the exact display that you are seeing (including the partial "T"), but the temperature widget does not show anything when the driver is missing.

sorry, no, does not make a difference here.

Your problem seems to be a display problem. I have seen something similar in PMMail, where the window size was not calculated properly for a wide screen, but that caused the window to be too big. If you see no difference with a different screen resolution, it probably means that the program is doing it right, but something in the video driver is not. Which video driver is it? Do you use any non default video settings (I remember that using some of them caused different things to happen with PMMail, and some didn't make any sense, but I don't remember the details).

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 10:29:05 pm »
Which video driver is it? Do you use any non default video settings (I remember that using some of them caused different things to happen with PMMail, and some didn't make any sense, but I don't remember the details).

I do use latest Panorama Vesa from Arca Noae (1.07 I guess), SNAP is not working with the Sony Vaio Pro 13. Do not invest to much time into this, I do have the Temperature shown with the XCenter widget, that is right OK for me  :)

Thanks!

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 07:16:06 am »
Do not invest to much time into this

It would be good to find out why it does that, but I can't think of anything else to try. Perhaps it will get fixed someday. Hopefully you can figure out what was changed when (if) that happens.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 08:52:00 am »
There is more then one version of RDMSR.SYS floating around and when I first tested the xcenter widget it added its rdmsr.sys after the one I was already loading and broke things. The xcenter widget author did fix his code to use the other rdmsr.sys, don't know about the sys load author.
Anyways double check that the correct rdmsr.sys is loaded.