Author Topic: WAV to FLAC using BatchBurn 2.0 ?  (Read 9469 times)

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
WAV to FLAC using BatchBurn 2.0 ?
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:50:37 am »
Ok, in BatchBurn 2.0 it's set to rip a CD to WAV files & convert to MP3s, but I changed it to convert to FLAC

1) Question: When using this command (using flac v1.3.1):    flac *.wav

I get FLAC files that are just about twice the size of the original WAV file, is that normal ???  I know the -8 option will make it smaller, but I thought a FLAC file was just a compressed WAV file ?

Shouldn't the default produce a smaller file ?

2) Question: Can you make an audio CD from FLAC files just like from MP3 files ? I haven't tried to modify that part in BatchBurn yet . 

(I'm guessing whatever format it is in, it's change to WAV then burn to the audio CD) ?

Thanks,

Greggory
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 09:18:07 am by Greggory Shaw »

Andi B.

• View Profile
Re: WAV to FLAC using BatchBurn 2.0 ?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 09:47:16 am »
2) Question: Can you make an audio CD from FLAC files
If you convert it back to wav or use a burning software which converts it back to bitstream on the fly, yes. Otherwise no. The CD standard defines what an audio CD is. And that's different from data CDs. A CD with .mp3s or .flacs copied over is a data CD. Of course you can do that. Question is which player can make use of it? Not an audio CD player. But some sort of computer which reads the CD as data CD and plays files which format it knows. Probably devices like Blue-ray players can handle such disks. But for BD players and Surround Receivers it's usually better to save such .flac and .mp3 on a stick or a NAS and play it from there.

Another thing worth to mention is there exist highres .flac formats up to 96kHz (IIRC) sampling rate and 24 bit resolution. You never can save such files on audio CDs without loosing some information. But you can play it on a proper Surround Receiver or BD player.

Flac - IIRC I use it with -5 although I do not know what it means. Probably processing power versus shrink rate.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 09:53:59 am by Andi B. »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 04:31:21 pm »
Hi Greggory, Flac should give aprox 50% compression compared to the original wav depending on the original content and the compression factor (-0 to -10 with the stock encoder, some go to -12) which I believe is -5 by default.
Besides what Andi said about burning a CD, a surprising number of players will decode flac files though many don't.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 06:34:35 pm »
Thanks Andi & Dave,

For the audio CD & player explanations.  I'll the add the CMD file to convert them WAV, then burn it CD in audio CD standard.

Pretty sure I know what the problem is, the  tracks are from a voice book and not music.  I tried it on songs and yes about 50% reduction !

Thank you,

Greggory
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 06:42:07 pm by Greggory Shaw »