Author Topic: Printer support for HP Color Laserjet Pro M252dw  (Read 8877 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Printer support for HP Color Laserjet Pro M252dw
« on: November 20, 2015, 08:30:44 pm »
This support should be built in to HP-LIP, but it needs a newer version than the one shipped with eCS 2.2 beta 2

version of HP LIP that I have: 3.12.10.1
version I think I need: 3.15

I have tried some other printer drivers, but they seem not to work well with my cups setup.
Normal printing kind of works, but I don't have a correct PPD for my printer. I'm experimenting to find a close match from printer drivers I do have.

Anyone else with this or a similar HP printer, let me know how you've got it printing.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: Printer support for HP Color Laserjet Pro M252dw
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:08:44 pm »
Hey Neil,

This support should be built in to HP-LIP, but it needs a newer version than the one shipped with eCS 2.2 beta 2

version of HP LIP that I have: 3.12.10.1
version I think I need: 3.15

I have tried some other printer drivers, but they seem not to work well with my cups setup.
Normal printing kind of works, but I don't have a correct PPD for my printer. I'm experimenting to find a close match from printer drivers I do have.

Anyone else with this or a similar HP printer, let me know how you've got it printing.

Sounds like a good reason for me to update HPLIP :) Will try do it this weekend

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 11:33:04 pm »
Hi again,

Not tested yet - but try http://smedley.id.au/tmp/hplip-3.15.11-os2-20151121.zip

I will try test this afternoon, have jobs to do, and dogs to walk for the next few hours.

Cheers,

Paul

ak120

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 12:57:03 am »
This HP/Canon printer supports HP PCL 6, HP PCL 5c, HP postscript level 3 emulation, PCLm and PDF.
It should be possible to use this printer with LASERJET.DRV. Simply use the PCL5c and PCL6 drivers for Color LaserJet. PPD is only required when using slower PS emulation with PSCRIPT.DRV. But you have to steal the PPD file from Mac driver installation.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 09:27:13 am »
Hi All,

Not tested yet - but try http://smedley.id.au/tmp/hplip-3.15.11-os2-20151121.zip

I will try test this afternoon, have jobs to do, and dogs to walk for the next few hours.

Seems to work. I had to move \hplip\share\cups\* to \cups\share\cups\* to get the updated driver - I've refreshed the zip to include this change.

Cheers,

Paul

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 04:48:22 pm »
You know, it's funny how things work. I downloaded the source code from SourceForge, and put in the support files for my printer and it worked well. Then I came back here to report what I had done and saw Paul's new build, done for my request.

Well, I went to another machine, and installed the new HPLIP over my existing eCups installation. I also updated Alex Taylor's print manager because I'm tired of operating the one in the Dutch Language. Well it worked perfectly. Thanks, Paul. And this was a real dummy install. I just followed along in the GUI, found my printer, and after installation tried to print from Firefox. In a couple of seconds, the printer spat out a good print of my webpage.

Notes:
Paul's new build of HPLIP is meant to be unzipped from the root. It will overwrite \hplip and \cups with the updated files.
There are so many supported printers, that it is hard to find the right one.
I plugged the printer into my wired network. I assigned it a static IP. eCups found it, so I did not have to configure the network.
To install the printer, I used Alex Taylor's "Install printer". I never saw any eCups screen. It just worked.

Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com