Author Topic: Downward sliding icons  (Read 10700 times)

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
Downward sliding icons
« on: November 24, 2015, 09:48:35 pm »
This is not a new problem, but I thought it was over when I installed eCS 2.1. It was for some time and then it suddenly started again. Now after having installed eCS 2.2 one and a half years ago it starts again. I did not realize it at first because the downward sliding is smaller then before and I can't remember I have installed any special software that could be the reason for this. But anyway it is annoying.
Does anyone know any solution to the problem?

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
Re: Downward sliding icons
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 11:07:45 pm »
This is not a new problem, but I thought it was over when I installed eCS 2.1. It was for some time and then it suddenly started again. Now after having installed eCS 2.2 one and a half years ago it starts again. I did not realize it at first because the downward sliding is smaller then before and I can't remember I have installed any special software that could be the reason for this. But anyway it is annoying.

You should trying Google first especially since this problem has been around for a while!

Google - os2 icons moving down, second item listed

or  -  http://os2notes.net/os2resources.php

or -  http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?sh=1&button=Search&key=movingdesktop&stype=all&sort=type_name&dir=%2F

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:11:59 pm by Greggory Shaw »

xynixme

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 07:44:22 pm »

FTR: eCS 1.2, shutdown-button, select the other radio button (typically restart/reboot), OK-button, restart. After the restart you can select the usual, other radio button (typically shutdown) again. Apparently toggling the setting and a reboot, to save the setting, solves it. If it isn't solved, then you can use software too. There was a rumour that the problem could return, but so far I've never seen that.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 07:59:17 am »
Apparently toggling the setting and a reboot, to save the setting, solves it.

Only by accident, it will be back, eventually. The ultimate work around is to get the Moving Desktop Icons thing, from HOBBES (mentioned above), Then make an (e)XWorkplace Shutdown folder, and put it in there, so it runs at every shutdown (use the RUN parameter).

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:41:28 pm »
Then make an (e)XWorkplace Shutdown folder, and put it in there, so it runs at every shutdown (use the RUN parameter).
I can confirm that this works reliable. Thanks, Doug for that proposal, you've already made months ago. I'm having that program object in my shutdown folder for a longer time now and it avoids the icon movement perfectly.

Doug wrote it all, but maybe things remain not as clear as they could be.

Hobbes link.

Create an XShutdown (or eShutShown) folder.

Create a program object of movingdesktopobjects.cmd in it:

Path and filename:
   <PATH>\movingdesktopobjects.cmd

Parameters:
   run

Working directory:
   (nothing required)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:28:56 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

xynixme

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 01:30:55 am »
I can confirm that this works reliable.

Oh, so can I. I can run it a gazzilion times, because it doesn't do anything, while the original problem doesn't re-occur. If "works" is defined as not noticing a problem anymore, then it works. If "works" is defined as being the solution to solve a real problem, then it doesn't. Here only using this has never solved the problem, and I have no evidence to believe in a myth of a returning problem. No returning problem, no reason to execute some script, unless you're looking for a placebo. A placebo works too.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 02:05:52 am »
I found the same. eventually the icons stop moving on their own, never to restart moving,, likely due to changing the reboot/shutdown button, without having ever installed the script/program mentioned.

xynixme

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 04:40:25 am »
Doug's placebo has to deal with a paradox, if we kindly accept that all other evidence is being ignored.

Not being able to execute any Rexx script anymore can be a good reason to shutdown the WPS (REXX.DLL entry in POPUPLOG.OS2). So it's not possible that a Rexx script always solves the problem during a shutdown, and that the problem never will return.

So you may as well execute the internal OS command REM instead of Baldrick's Rexx script. REM will work more frequently, because REM doesn't reqiure a working Rexx environment.

Get it right once (use whatever script, why not, it doesn't break anything), hence my initial reply w.r.t. an old thread. It's a documented solution. If your stuff starts moving again, a rather rare event, then solve it again. Not using the script is not a religion, but typically there's no need at all to slow down a shutdown with an useless script.

Typically the script has no use, exceptions excluded. You may as well always execute a REM, after having solved it once, and conclude that REM stops it from happening again.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 06:57:11 pm »
Doug's placebo has to deal with a paradox, if we kindly accept that all other evidence is being ignored.

You obviously do not understand the problem. The problem is that something in the INI entry for the desktop gets corrupted, somehow. When the system is rebooted, that entry causes the icons to be placed above, or below, where they were before. Repeated boots will always do the same (moving them further), until that entry gets changed, or deleted, somehow. The script simply removes those entries, and they get recreated on boot. Your "fix" probably just changes the entry, but takes no steps to be sure that it doesn't get changed, and used, again.

Not being able to execute any Rexx script anymore can be a good reason to shutdown the WPS (REXX.DLL entry in POPUPLOG.OS2).

I have never seen such a thing. Perhaps you should explain exactly what problem you have with REXX, and get it fixed. I have one system that runs a REXX script 24/7, and it never has  a problem (other REXX scripts are also used). I usually do some updating, once per month, so it gets rebooted, once per month. My other systems run the same script, but usually get rebooted more often, for one reason, or another.

In fact, it doesn't seem to matter if the REXX doesn't get executed every time. A system crash will prevent the bad entry from being written to the INI file at shutdown. and as noted, the problem doesn't happen every time anyway.

Typically the script has no use, exceptions excluded. You may as well always execute a REM, after having solved it once, and conclude that REM stops it from happening again.

See the description of the problem, above. Before I started running the script at shutdown, I was running it manually, about every second, or third, boot, to fix the problem, on more than one computer (along with having to adjust the icon locations, which gets to be pretty boring after a few tries). After using the script at every shutdown, I have lost count of the number of months, since I last saw it. You cannot argue with success.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 09:26:45 pm »
Doug, he's a troll from the news groups.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 12:20:57 am »

I suspected as much. The other possibility was that he is a "level 2 expert".

Level 1: I don't know much, but I am willing to learn.

Level 2: I know EVERYTHING, and you can't possibly tell me anything that I don't already know.

Level 3: I know that I will never know anything but a small part of whatever the subject is.

My responses hopefully helped the level 1 experts out there.   :D

xynixme

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 05:30:20 am »
You cannot argue with success.

Don't worry, I don't want to argue with you. Let's continue that bit via PM, please. Back to reality, nobody but you excluded anything: if you never (rare exceptions excluded, again) want it to happen, then you have to shutdown the system after fully completing the last phase of the install, and select the option to restart. Actually restart to make it stick (save the change in the INI file). After the restart you can shutdown again and select shutdown, to make that the default choice again. One can execute the script too, as stated earlier, it won't break anything, but the rest is bogus, partly based on a number of systems relevant? I don't even know the number of systems I'm managing, so let's say that your number s wins.

xynixme

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 05:32:05 am »

Reported to the moderator, FWIW.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 06:44:15 am »
This is a general message not particularly aimed at anyone but at everyone generally.

Play nice in the playground people.
This means be polite, and do not throw sticks and stones otherwise something might boomerang back.
This also means if you cant say anything positive, do not post.
If anyone is a troll, they will hang themselves so there is no need to push the process along.

Also be mindful, and aware of cultural differences.

Thanks
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 07:26:40 am »
Don't worry, I don't want to argue with you. Let's continue that bit via PM, please. Back to reality, nobody but you excluded anything: if you never (rare exceptions excluded, again) want it to happen, then you have to shutdown the system after fully completing the last phase of the install, and select the option to restart. Actually restart to make it stick (save the change in the INI file). After the restart you can shutdown again and select shutdown, to make that the default choice again. One can execute the script too, as stated earlier, it won't break anything, but the rest is bogus, partly based on a number of systems relevant? I don't even know the number of systems I'm managing, so let's say that your number s wins.

I am through with this subject, and I don't need any more SPAM in my pm. If you don't accept what I say, and I don't accept what you say, I guess the only way to solve the conflict is to see who has the problem again. Let us know when it happens.