Author Topic: Lucide Gsview and printers error in Lucide or not  (Read 9746 times)

roberto

• View Profile
Lucide Gsview and printers error in Lucide or not
« on: November 26, 2015, 07:23:52 pm »
In a computer, with the same software, imported ppd of their respective manufacturers. Color laser printers with an old Brother and of poor quality, a new Xerox Phaser 6500N with better quality, both networked. Both printers print OS2 from many applications without problems. But Xerox printing pdfs from Lucice takes me a lot of text pages. The brother with lucide prints all ok.
So I think there is not a problem of lucide, if not ppd or settings of the printer. Any help?
Saludos

roberto

• View Profile
Re: Lucide Gsview and printers error in Lucide or not
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 07:41:32 pm »
I forgot to mention that from the gsview, both printers print correctly. But the screen image from the lucide looks better and prefer to use the lucide.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 03:10:36 pm »
 I haven't used Lucide in a long time, but I remember problems like this. Alex Taylor created a PS printer driver which corrected some problems printing from Lucide, get it here: http://www.altsan.org/os2/printing/psprint-30_905.zip. It has other enhancements over the standard IBM driver as well.

You could also try the newer qPDFView (ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/qtapps/qpdfview-0_4_16-GA.zip) that will display more types of PDF files, but you need to have the CUPS print system and QT libraries installed.

Regards

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 04:05:59 pm »
Hi
Lucide is workin ok. The problem was in the ppd file, I take the Windows driver ppd Spanish = error.
But Linux download the ppd file in English worked to perfect. I think the problem was not the language, but by the ppd file itself.

Using the Linux ppd:
1- Download from the manufacturer's website.
2- Unzip with Zippy four clicks
http://www.ecomstation.ru/projects/zippy/?action=down

(Linux users are very rare, rpm, cpio, gz, zip)
3-editing with a hex editor as FlexEdit, and change the line ending character 0d 0a 0a for all lines, attention to the last line.
4- I modified the driver name to distinguish it from other like this, but this is not necessary.
  East :
* ShortNickName: "Xerox Phaser 6500N"
For this:
* ShortNickName: "Xerox Phaser 6500Nlinux"
To rename it to the right will come out in the same order in the list of printers.
5- Import the new file  and everything is working. I forgot the default values had changed because they were not my printer. The latter did after having installed in properties - driver-- select your printer driver. These values were memory, box-type, hard disk etc. Save and go.
Saludos :)

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 09:24:18 pm »
Any particular reason for using a hex editor on a text file?  All the PPD files I have seen are text files.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 11:11:20 pm »

If the two files are text. But in the OS2 pressing the Enter key is formed by two hexadecimal characters are 0d 0a
In Linux, each line ends with 0a and the last line with 0a 0a
saludos

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 12:02:22 am »
Hi roberto

You can open a text file created on a linux system using the old IBM System Editor (e.exe - but on eCS systems may be found as \OS2\e2.exe ), insert a space or other character then delete whatever you inserted - a necessary step as this editor will not save an "unchanged" file so this insert and delete fools the editor and lets you save the file - and the linux line ends get "thrown away".

Much easier than fiddling with a hex editor  :-)

Regards

Pete

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 10:35:25 am »
and I thought I had made it easy, but I see that you can always improve.
Thanks

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 05:00:03 pm »
Or use EPM and execute s /o

Explanation:
   s is the shortcut for Save
   /o is an option to use OS/2 line ends.
   /l is an option to use Linux line ends.
   No option out of /o and / l doesn't change line ends, but can also produce mixed line ends, what has to be avoided.

Option /o is the default value for NEPMD, but not for EPM.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 06:10:51 pm »
Simplest is unix2dos/dos2unix or addcr/delcr, http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?button=Search&key=dos2unix&dir=%2F. Both programs can add or remove CRs.