Author Topic: Anyone successfully using Brother HL-5470dw?  (Read 45007 times)

roberto

• View Profile
Re: Anyone successfully using Brother HL-5470dw?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 08:38:43 am »
The text was put to draw more attention of many ppd files for windows were created erroneously . But the same file for linux works best.
I enclose the entire file import created by Alex , and three files imported properly, following his instructions.
I've put three new printers:
brother-HL-5470DW-cups-en.ppd (this is your printer)
brother-MFCL2720DW-cups-en.ppd (my printer works ok)
hl2030-cups.ppd (this other ?, is other link in this foro hl-2035 ? only exist in brother hl2030 and hl2040 but not hl2035)

Instructions for use:
Only unzip the file, open the folder, open x:\xxxxxx\psprint-30_905-import\psprint.drv , select your printer, and drag & drop to your desktop
Say if it works or not.

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 05:22:03 pm »
For my Brother HL-3070CW I juts installed the OS/2 PSCRIPT.Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS driver and it worked without a hitch. I used the SLPR driver for a network port and it's fine.  Just for your consideration.
Matt W.

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 05:48:46 pm »
How good is the color output using OS/2.
I have a Brother HL 4040CDN that is using the HP C LaserJet 8550 driver which works but has low resolution color output.
It is not being run with the Postscript driver.

Can high quality color be printed with OS/2 ?

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 05:32:57 am »
...However....somewhat strangely enough, I am getting the following error out of PIN.EXE:

=== START ===
[G:\TEST\PSCRIPT]pin ppd \test\pscript\5470 \test\pscript\5470
PostScript resource packaging utility version 1.00
Copyright (c) IBM Corp. 2000,2001. All rights reserved.

Producing Printer Device PAK
reading driver extended attributes
  fail
SYS0005: Access is denied.

fail
=== END ===...

Well, this is embarrasing...notice my "pin" command above, for some reason my problem was the fact that the last parameter is a fully qualified reference to the PSCRIPT.DRV file, that means, it needed to be stated as "\test\pscript\5470\pscript.drv", I simply left out the actual printer driver filename...duh....

OK, having overcome that obstacle I must report on some findings.

The as-is Brother PPD, where the print quality is left in the "Features" section does not appear to actually impact print quality in our OS/2 driver. So, in other words, when the default resolution is 600dpi, no matter what I select in the Features section of the driver I still ONLY get 600dpi output. Yeah...you bet, that's lousy!!!

So as it turns out the only way to make this work is by moving the whole Features print quality section over to the Output tab under Resolution. However, as I did that and as I preserved the Brother device controls I found out that the HQ1200 mode consistently crashes the driver. So whatever app I'm actually trying to print for, if I select HQ1200 Resolution the app will crash.

Since both 1200 and HQ1200 appear to be coded using the same HWResolution parameters but different  statusdict settings it appears that I can only use the 1200dpi (highest-resolution) settings reliably.

*CAPT   SFine/1200 dpi: "<</HWResolution [1200 1200] >> setpagedevice
statusdict/true1200 known{statusdict begin true true1200 end}if"

*CAPT   Fine/HQ 1200: "<</HWResolution [1200 1200] >> setpagedevice
statusdict/true1200 known{statusdict begin false true1200 end}if"

Anyways...I will experiment with a few more configurations, but for now at least I have no way to understand why HQ1200 crashes the driver.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 09:12:43 am »
Hello Dariusz Piatkowski,
We did not say if the ppd you're using is Windows or Linux is to drop you at the forum. Or is a edit manual ppd by you.

You not tell us if you tried the file psprint-30_905-import.zip in this foro.

Saludos

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 12:45:33 pm »
For my Brother HL-3070CW I juts installed the OS/2 PSCRIPT.Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS driver and it worked without a hitch. I used the SLPR driver for a network port and it's fine.  Just for your consideration.
Matt W.
If you is working well , I would not touch it .
But if you want to prove I can make a new file including this printer.
I think you will not have any advantage. That adds nothing to the driver you already have .
Saludos

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 01:14:29 pm »
How good is the color output using OS/2.
I have a Brother HL 4040CDN that is using the HP C LaserJet 8550 driver which works but has low resolution color output.
It is not being run with the Postscript driver.

Can high quality color be printed with OS/2 ?
I can include you this printer in a new file . In this case if you can find differences , and you should try it .
I have no intention of making a new printer for each there . My intention is to make:
 How to import a ppd file .

Because I see the need . And if I understand where others fail , I will do better.
It is no use if only work for me , but in my case I have had good experiences.
Saludos

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 05:23:44 pm »
Hello Greg Pringle

I include the file for your test. With this other printers.
Please comment if work for you.!!
Instructions for use:
Only unzip the file, open the folder, open x:\xxxxxx\psprint-30_905-import2\psprint.drv , select your printer, and drag & drop to your desktop
Say if it works or not.

PPD converter initialized
READY, STARTING TO CONVERT
converting brhl4040cdn-CUPS-OS2.ppd : ........ OK (Brother HL-4040CDN series)
converting brother-HL-5470DW-cups-en.ppd : ........ OK (Brother HL-5470DW)
converting brother-MFCL2720DW-cups-en.ppd : ........ OK (Brother MFC-L2720DW)
converting brother_hl3070cw_printer_en-OS2.ppd : ........ OK (Brother HL3070CW)
converting hl2030-cups.ppd : ........ OK (Brother HL2030 for CUPS)
converting Xerox_Phaser_6500Nos2delinux.ppd : ........ OK (Xerox Phaser 6500Nlin
ux)
done: 6 devices converted, 0 failed
FINISHED, SHUTTING DOWN
done

Saludos

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 09:19:45 pm »
Sorry , sorry, the last file is wrong , I have to check , do not download . Is bad .

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 10:21:36 pm »
The as-is Brother PPD, where the print quality is left in the "Features" section does not appear to actually impact print quality in our OS/2 driver. So, in other words, when the default resolution is 600dpi, no matter what I select in the Features section of the driver I still ONLY get 600dpi output. Yeah...you bet, that's lousy!!!
Now I think I begin to understand .

So as it turns out the only way to make this work is by moving the whole Features print quality section over to the Output tab under Resolution. However, as I did that and as I preserved the Brother device controls I found out that the HQ1200 mode consistently crashes the driver. So whatever app I'm actually trying to print for, if I select HQ1200 Resolution the app will crash.
I increase the resolution to my PSPRINT.Brother MFC-L2720DW BR-Script3, to HQ1200 and print a white paper. But I open the printer --select printer driver ---options-- and print font capacity   And the printer print a page with this info:
-----ini print text---------------
Available Font Memory (bytes) = 16103784
Suggested Maximun Downloaded Fonts : 32
------end print text------------
In the driver show me 110 fonts, I reduce it to 32. Save and close.
After this is printing ok, with epm.exe, , and with lucide the text does not start in the right place , moved out .
If modify in Jobs properties High Quality Print ON or OFF, in epm.exe is the same, but in lucide, move to other bad position.

Since both 1200 and HQ1200 appear to be coded using the same HWResolution parameters but different  statusdict settings it appears that I can only use the 1200dpi (highest-resolution) settings reliably.

*CAPT   SFine/1200 dpi: "<</HWResolution [1200 1200] >> setpagedevice
statusdict/true1200 known{statusdict begin true true1200 end}if"

*CAPT   Fine/HQ 1200: "<</HWResolution [1200 1200] >> setpagedevice
statusdict/true1200 known{statusdict begin false true1200 end}if"
I think that this is the same if you change the Jobs properties HQP ON OFF.
Anyways...I will experiment with a few more configurations, but for now at least I have no way to understand why HQ1200 crashes the driver.
Check your fonts number, more low value.But the high resolution is possibly other unwanted problems .
Saludos

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 02:32:35 am »
Hi Roberto!

Now I think I begin to understand .

Sorry, I wrote in my earlier post that I was using psprint 30.905 driver...easily missed though...no worries.

I increase the resolution to my PSPRINT.Brother MFC-L2720DW BR-Script3, to HQ1200 and print a white paper. But I open the printer --select printer driver ---options-- and print font capacity   And the printer print a page with this info:
-----ini print text---------------
Available Font Memory (bytes) = 16103784
Suggested Maximun Downloaded Fonts : 32
------end print text------------
In the driver show me 110 fonts, I reduce it to 32. Save and close.
After this is printing ok, with epm.exe, , and with lucide the text does not start in the right place , moved out .
If modify in Jobs properties High Quality Print ON or OFF, in epm.exe is the same, but in lucide, move to other bad position.

Yeah...I'm starting to see some weird things here...in particular...if I print using PSPRINT driver and embed fonts in my print job, the output is garbled, now this is ONLY with a simple TXT file...however, the full text prints on a single line.

If on the other hand I disable font embedding (by setting the driver=>Output=>Use Downloaded Fonts to OFF) then I have a good printout, text prints OK as it should in the place it should. Of course this approach defeats the purpose of running PSPRINT as opposed to PSCRIPT, since the benefit of PSPRINT is being able to embed fonts.

With my printer the driver suggests I use up to 78 fonts for the download...which is how I left them.

I will do a PPD import of the modified resolution Brother file into PSCRIPT driver next and see if I'm seeing any differences there.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 09:27:07 am »

Sorry, I wrote in my earlier post that I was using psprint 30.905 driver...easily missed though...no worries.

But care with windows ppd, aprox. 40% of this ppd files are bad files, and worst of all, it means work. Fail with some programs etc. This may be true for the world win , but not for OS/2. Linux or cups ppd are a better option. Remenber the linux file, is necessary to convert to os2 first of all .

[quote ...]with lucide the text does not start in the right place , moved out .[/quote]
Well lucide work perfect, only is need to mark print us image and high resolution.

Yeah...I'm starting to see some weird things here...
Well!! today all are good news.

The file psprint-30_905-import3.zip, This well-it built, and it works perfect . But there is always a but, the problem is an error in the import file itself.It only works if the first printer that is installed on the system.
But the solution is simple, after you drag and drop the printer to desktop, open it properties--- and see physical name of the printer. Write in a paper the name.
Delete the printer and delete the driver.
Go to folder c:\os2\dll\psprint and rename psprint with the physical name.(in this point I am not sure is only change the name of the folder is sufficient, but I tell you that I miss me.  )
Goto C:\OS2\DLL\YOURPHYSICALNAMEPRINT\PSPRINT.DRV , open it and install again, this create a new pscript folder and all is ok.
Or No?

Hear is the page for the import utility from Alex Taylor:
http://www.altsan.org/os2/printing/index.html

Saludos

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 01:00:07 pm »
Yeah...I'm starting to see some weird things here...in particular...if I print using PSPRINT driver and embed fonts in my print job, the output is garbled, now this is ONLY with a simple TXT file...however, the full text prints on a single line.

I've seen this with TXT files. Here, if I turn off word wrap, the file prints fine. I only see the single line printing if word wrap is on. Never thought it was a print driver problem... should report this to Alex.

Regards

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 06:32:01 pm »
Two suggestions... First, print to file and compare the output Postscript file for both the working and non-working scenarios.
Second, try varying the font used for printing text format (printer object properties, tab 'Text Format', font option).

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 10:19:25 pm »
I wanted to explain a little better had detected the problem, was that after installing the printer. The printer icon is created , but could not open the driver properties and can not open the Job properties.
Saludos