Author Topic: Samba share woes  (Read 6576 times)

mjkerpan

Samba share woes
« on: June 18, 2013, 09:42:18 pm »
I'm an old time OS/2 user who recently dug up some old CDs and decided to play around with OS/2 in a VM. After getting Warp 4, FixPack 15 and the VirtualBox guest additions installed, I seem to have a pretty steady base to work with except for one problem: whenever I try to access a Samba share from my Linux host machine, WPS coughs up a hairball about not finding any matching objects that match my criteria. I can access files on the "network" drive from the command line, from load/save dialogs and through FM/2, but any attempts to use the thing via the Desktop fails. This is a fairly minor annoyance (I can get at the shared files in other ways) but I'd be interested to know what might be up.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: Samba share woes
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 11:32:10 pm »
As we eCS users are now switching to SAMBA, we have similar woes trying to learn new networking terms and practices, combined with our own SAMBA still needing more users to find and report those last few bugs. How do IBM F&P use passwords, access control lists and workgroups? How does SAMBA? How to get them to do it the same way?

On the other hand, SAMBA for OS/2 might connect to Linux SAMBA without much fuss.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

eirik

Re: Samba share woes
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:02:20 am »
I use the Samba client to access different disk at my workplace, and it works excellent.  The difficulties are that (1) Samba needs to know what protocol that is used to get proper access, and (2) if one does not have full access in the root directory (but is able to see the directory tree) one cannot use (or at least I was unable to) use Samba to get directly to the directories I wanted to go to.  The latter is easily fixed having a short command file that one uses to get to the directory of choice via the OS/2 command line/full screen facility.  I guess Michael's and my experiences hence are quite similar.

Eirik