Author Topic: Wireless  (Read 19858 times)

eirik

Wireless
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:58:55 pm »
I have made some progress making WiFi work on the Intel Centrino 6300 a/g/n card.  See

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.org.netlabs.genmac.user

for details.  It looks as if I need the original Win XP drivers for this to work.  Anyone "out there" who has those drivers, or have a link where these files can be found.  Feel I am pretty close to making this a success.

Eirik

melf

Re: Wireless
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:29:58 pm »
I'm not sure of what you want, but the XP drivers are here http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm

eirik

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:56:31 am »
Thanks,

this is approximately what I am looking for.  The problem is that the downloadable files are executables.  This means I may mess up my Win7 64 bit if I execute the files.  Anyone with the Intel Centrio 6300 who already has done this task under Win XP, and hence has the files lying handy, and can send them to me (eirrom <at> gmail <dot> com )?

Eirik

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 12:05:59 am »
If they follow the usual intel path then the exe file will be an unpacker which prepares the files to be installed.  If that is the case then you might be able to use universal extractor to get at those files.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 03:45:53 am »
Hi Eirik.

Is there a way/procedure to do own our test? I have a "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205" and I really want to try to see if it can work with genmac.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 03:49:22 am »
Eirik

I think this ones are on .zip files.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034038.htm

I'm checking  - http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22117/eng/Wireless_15.3.1_Dx32.zip
I'm not sure if what you are looking is NETwLx32.sys or NETwxn00.sys.

If by any chance you make "NETwxn00.sys" work, I think that the same one for my "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205". I'm crossing my fingers.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:04:28 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

eirik

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:13:05 pm »
Thanks Martin.

I will have a go at this late tonight/tomorrow.  The first challenge is to convert the inf or cat files (I do not remember which one at the moment) to reg files.  Anyone remember where instructions for this conversion can be found?  Once I am done, I will post a response here on how things work, and if successful, what I did.

May the force be with me / Eirik

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 09:02:08 pm »
Thanks Martin.

I will have a go at this late tonight/tomorrow.  The first challenge is to convert the inf or cat files (I do not remember which one at the moment) to reg files.  Anyone remember where instructions for this conversion can be found?  Once I am done, I will post a response here on how things work, and if successful, what I did.

May the force be with me / Eirik

Don't even bother trying to convert INF files to REG files. If you do anything with an INF file, just change PROTOCOL.INI and \IBMCOM\macs\GENM32W.OS2 (it is the only one that is used), to point to the INF file, instead of the REG file. However, you will probably find that the INF files don't contain anything except the templates to create the registry entries. As such, they won't be used. The only good part about that is, that everything will default, which sometimes works okay. CAT files are never used by GENMAC. I suggest just using the REG files that you already have, since they were extracted from somebodies registry, after the device was configured.

eirik

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 12:30:04 pm »
Dear all, no success with the new win files from the link Martin provided. Both sys files in the download halted the boot process and stopped the jfs disks (so I had to chkdsk /f them).  System recovered fine - no problem.  I still refuse to give up.  Anyone with older WinXp or WinVista driver files for the Intel Centrino 6300 a/g/n wireless card.  Provide a link or email me (eirrom at gmail dot com), and I will test the files.

Eirik

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 04:52:33 pm »
There are a number of different files in the GENMAC, GENMU, and GENMU_TEST packages. I don't know what you have tried (other than the ones packaged for your specific device). Some of the others might be compatible. As I said, Intel seems to be pretty consistent with the hardware, so it may be worth trying any Intel driver, for a similar device. You can, easily, unpack the WPI files using WPIView: ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/vxapps/wpiview/wpiview110.wpi. You can also try mixing, and matching, INF and REG files, but that is not likely to make a difference until you actually get it to load the driver successfully. An empty REG, or INF, file will cause the driver to use all of the defaults. That will usually work (if it will work at all), but may not be an ideal setup.

You should put a file named AltF2on.$$$ in the root of your boot drive. That will effectively do an Alt-F2 at the boot blob, always, so you can see where it actually stops. From your description, I would guess that it stops at NETBIND.EXE,  but it could be when XWLAN gets started, which is a different problem. If it is actually when XWLAN gets started, just remove the XWLAN widget from the eCenter bar, or remove XWLAN  from the startup folder, so it doesn't start. Then, you can do more investigation to see which of the many problems you have. To get booted, when it hangs, just use an alternate boot method, and REM the GENM32W.OS2 line in CONFIG.SYS, temporarily.

FWIW, a hard hang is usually caused by some sort of IRQ problem, but it could be something else.

Have fun...

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 06:57:27 pm »
Hi Doug

Please excuse me but I didn't follow genmac mailing list. Is there some instructions or documentation on how to test drivers with GenMac? like which are the files you have update, where to put them, etc.

Please let me know, I want to test (on my own risk) the Intel Centrino and other PCI wifi adapter I found.

THanks
Martin
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 12:39:01 am »
Hi Doug

Please excuse me but I didn't follow genmac mailing list. Is there some instructions or documentation on how to test drivers with GenMac? like which are the files you have update, where to put them, etc.

Please let me know, I want to test (on my own risk) the Intel Centrino and other PCI wifi adapter I found.

THanks
Martin

There are a couple of things from previous WarpStock  presentations, that may help. They seem to be a little out of date, but the basics are there. Just search in the WarpStock information.

You can also review the readmes at: ftp://genmac@ftp.os2voice.org/ (use your e-mail address as a password, if it asks), but they don't detail what needs to be done. I think you should find your device, or something very similar, in one of the two WarpIn packages. If it is the same, you can install GENMAC (either 2.20, or 2.21), with, or without, devices, and then install one of the GENMU packages for your device, or something similar. If your device is not in one of those packages, send me the appropriate information (see the readmes), and I will build an installer for you. Of course, that doesn't mean that it will actually work, but it will give you the basic install to work with.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 05:30:47 pm »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 12:36:14 am »
I found Neil's Documentation.
http://www.blondeguy.com/GenmacUnsupported.html

That is a good reference for wired NICS. It does not mention that loading a driver for wireless NICS will load the driver okay, but GENMAC, in UNSUPPORTED mode, fails to load the interface that XWLAN requires for wireless NICS. To accomplish that, GENMAC needs to think that the device is supported. That requires modifying GENM32W.OS2, and removing UNSUPPORTED from the NIF file (and/or PROTOCOL.INI). Since Willibald specifically forbids distributing patched versions of his software, I package those devices with a patch, which the GENMU or GENMU_TEST, installers automatically apply to GENM32W.OS2. The instructions for how to do the patch, are in the GENMU_TEST readme file.