Author Topic: AVxCAT 1.4 alpha  (Read 41764 times)

Remy

• View Profile
AVxCAT 1.4 alpha
« on: December 30, 2015, 01:21:48 pm »
Are any tester available to give a try to AVxCAT V1.4.0 ALPHA  ( compatible with ffmpeg 2.1.5 ) ?
If you are interested, please send me an email from my home site to get this alpha build or get it from here:
http://remydodin.levillage.org/outils/avxcat_140alpha.zip

Alpha build means that you may find problems
2 known problems
- OGV and MPEG2 not working ( about OGV, it looks to be ffmpeg but more investigation is needed )

ffmpeg to try with it   
- http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/ffmpeg-os2-r2_1_5-Fourier.zip

It has:
- latest found bugs under v1.3.x resolved
- display ffmpeg version under 'help'
- Added debug log on ffmpeg
  (warning, use it only in case conversion fails at start or the amount of messages may crash avxcat)
   to enable it: - enable axtra log, go under parameters ans mark ffmpeg debug log. At end of session, parameter is removed
- video conversion uses multi threads which speed up the conversion ( you can specify auto or the number of threads (CPU core)
  This option is enabled with ffmpeg 2.1.5 and disable under older ffmpeg ...
  note: very fast on MP4

After test, please, provide feedback using the email link on my web site and specify what was well tested or buggy.
e.g.
- audio conversion ( codec tried )
- audio to video conversion ( codec tried )
- multiple audio track with join
- video conversion
- video and mapping !
- create presentation out of videos

Cheers/2
RD
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:14:21 pm by Rem »

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Re: AVxCAT 1.4 alpha
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 04:31:27 pm »
Hi Remy,

Wow...great news...thank you so much for continuing the work on this.

I was never able to overcome the "system freeze" with the latest previous version so I'm happy to give this a try.

-Dariusz

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 07:21:37 pm »
Nice Dariusz

About this alpha build, I left some code in it to allow opening a drdialog box only in case of internal errors to get more information.

Cheers/2
RD.

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 12:10:16 pm »
Hi Remi,

I just tried the alphbuild with the ffmpeg version you point to, but there seem to be files missing concerning this ffmpeg version?

By the way : Happy new year and thank you for your efforts

Holger

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 07:52:19 pm »
Hi Holger,

Happy new year to you too and to all OS2WORLD users.

Yes, please read the readme file from ffmpeg. You have to get some additional dll's to make it work.

Cheers/2
Remy

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 05:12:55 pm »
Hi Remy,
sorry, I did not see the readme.file the first time I tried.
I downloaded the files missing acording to the readme but I am not able to do any conversion all the same. What I noticed: When setting the ffmpeg full path in the parameters pointing to the version you recommend and then adding a file the time/file (s) line in the main window is empty. I do see the filename and the size. If I change back to another version of ffmpeg I see the filename, size and the time/file value

Holger

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 08:53:08 pm »
Hi Remy,
sorry, I did not see the readme.file the first time I tried.
I downloaded the files missing acording to the readme but I am not able to do any conversion all the same. What I noticed: When setting the ffmpeg full path in the parameters pointing to the version you recommend and then adding a file the time/file (s) line in the main window is empty. I do see the filename and the size. If I change back to another version of ffmpeg I see the filename, size and the time/file value

Holger

Did you put all Dll's into a dll patth ( e.g. c:\ecs\dll ?
It looks like ffmpeg didn't find the required dll's.

I suggest you to unlock current DLL's if older version exist and rename them before copying new DLL's into the libpath.

Please use the email link on my site to provide more details about how you installed ffmpeg and avxcat and your avxcat parameters.
Best regards,
RD   
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:55:52 pm by Rem »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 12:37:11 pm »
Any feedback received yet  :-[ .

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 06:21:11 pm »
Hi Remy,

shortly after my last posting I had to reinstall ECS as my machine trapped and I was not able to solve the problems.
Right now I only have ECS installed, without any programs except a Browser and I am still facing problems As soon as I have this worked out I will try again with AVxCat.

Holger

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 03:15:57 pm »
Hi Remy,

...About this alpha build, I left some code in it to allow opening a drdialog box only in case of internal errors to get more information...

Sorry about the delay...alright...tested this, but the old problem remains...the minute I push the "Files" button the system goes into a SOFT freeze, meaning CTL-ALT-DEL still recovers but that leads to a shut-down.

Soo...for what it's worth, this only happens when I have all 6 CPU cores up and running...if I shut down 5 of them then it appears to work. Of course the problem this leads to is that any sort of covnersionn process takes extremely long. In my case I have massive MJPG videos from my Pentax DSLR.

Anyways, if you want me to try anything just let me know. Thanks for continuing the work on this app...

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 04:07:39 pm »
Strange !
I do not see why OS2 command issued at file open time is hunging your system...
About long process, older ffmpeg was single thread only while the latest one I suggested to give it  try is multi-thread and under my system which has 4 enabled CPU core ( I also tried it using the 4 additional virtual core ), it works well and conversion is mutch faster with the latest ffmpeg suggested build.

I'll return into my code and check what could make you system not responding ...   
no other user reported this kind of problem.

Thx
RD

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 03:36:58 pm »
Hi Remy,

...About long process, older ffmpeg was single thread only while the latest one I suggested to give it  try is multi-thread and under my system which has 4 enabled CPU core ( I also tried it using the 4 additional virtual core ), it works well and conversion is mutch faster with the latest ffmpeg suggested build...

Let me explain better, the long time it takes to re-encode my videos is due to several reasons:
1) MJPGs produced by my DSLR (Pentax K5) are big...we are talking on the order of 1.5-2gig for just a couple of minutes
2) since I can not use your app with multiple CPU cores enabled, I shut off all but one, then encoding happens in a "single thread" fashion since all other CPU cores are effectively disabled
3) I have previously used ffmpeg-os2-r26099, which is multi-thread enabled (it was a Dave Yeo drop)...so if I do the conversion outside of your app (command line) I am able to crunch through the data much faster as the work is done in parallel

I did download and install your recommended ffmpeg-os2-r2_1_5-Fourier version...haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet though.

Here is an idea I've been investigating to get around my app freeze situation. I could configure the application start cmd file to shut off all cores and run in a single-core mode. When the time comes to actually start the encoding operation if there was a way for your process to tie-in to a user defined "prep cmd step" I could then re-enable all the cores and really let the machine fly through the process. Since your app builds the final ffmpeg command on-the-fly I'm wondering if there is a way for me to do this?

So here is an example of what I'm talking about:

=== START ===

/* auto generated program by FFMPEGCA to execute ffmpeg in start using pipe */
Parse arg copy_metadata
ff_inputfile="I:\Movies\Family\Amelia - Baby Boots 2.MPG"
ff_inputfile='"'||ff_inputfile ||'"'
ff_outfile="G:\HOME\.ffmpegca\Amelia - Baby Boots 2.mp4"
Out_AVmap=" -map 0.1 -map 0.0"
more_map=""
ff_outfile='"'||ff_outfile||'"'
ffmpeg_prms='  -i '||ff_inputfile||' '||Out_AVmap||' -vcodec libx264 -b 1400k -r 29.97 -qmin 2 -qmax 35 -async 3'
/* --- x264 preset used : external --- */
ffmpeg_prms=ffmpeg_prms||' -vpre hq'
ffmpeg_prms=ffmpeg_prms||' -ar 44100 -acodec ac3 -ab 192k -vol 256 -ac 2'
ffmpeg_prms=ffmpeg_prms||' '||copy_metadata||' '||ff_outfile||' '||more_map

==> BEFORE ffmpeg.exe kicks off below I'd re-enable the CPU cores

'G:\util\misc\priority.exe 1 3 G:\APPS\MULTIMEDIA\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -y '||ffmpeg_prms||' 2>\pipe\ffmpegca_122'

==> AFTER ffmpeg.exe finishes above I'd disable the CPU cores

=== END ===

...any chance for this?

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 01:00:36 pm »
thanks for your explanation.
Let me have a look and I'll add an option into an other build for test   

Note: R26099 never worked in multi thread under my system while the latest yes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:03:17 pm by Rem »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 03:43:12 pm »
Hi Dariusz,

Please give a try to this new alpha build
http://remydodin.levillage.org/outils/avxcat_140alpha2.zip

- Corrected some code when clicking on files ( a proc was called 2 times )
- Added option under parameters to see LOCAL or USED drives ( was set to USED drives by default )
- Included code to check existing of a file called "owncmd.txt' under avxcat path into which some user os2 commands could be added ( do not include single quotes because avxcat will add single quotes at start and end of each included cmd line. these commands are put/issued prior the ffmpeg exe.  e.g.   CLS

Cheers/2         

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 05:10:43 am »
Hi Remy!!!

Success....but...read on please...

- Corrected some code when clicking on files ( a proc was called 2 times )
- Added option under parameters to see LOCAL or USED drives ( was set to USED drives by default )
- Included code to check existing of a file called "owncmd.txt' under avxcat path into which some user os2 commands could be added ( do not include single quotes because avxcat will add single quotes at start and end of each included cmd line. these commands are put/issued prior the ffmpeg exe.  e.g.   CLS ...

OK, so I had closed all my front-end apps before testing, in case it might freeze up...to my amazement and excillaration the Open File dialog box popped up and off I went picking files. Great...I shut-down the app, re-booted, re-tried the test to confirm the behaviour and ran straight into the same old freeze problem...why???

Well, I start up a few apps by default during system boot, one of them is PSI (IM client), through additional testing I found out that if I kill PSI before starting your app, it will open up the File dialog box fine. If on the other hand I leave PSI up and running the old behaviour persists and even the very 1st File attempt will lock things up.

Knowing this I tested further.

This time, having opened the File dialog once I wanted to rule out multiple File pick options, and here is where I ultimately got stuck. Even with PSI not running, attempting to open the File dialog for the second time will freeze the app. The LOCAL/USED drive settings did not seem to make a difference here.

One more test remains, and that is the "owncmd.txt" file approach...but as best as I can tell this only allows me to execute a "pre" command, is there a "post" command option as well? To avoid the freeze I effectively need to run in a single-core mode while using the app and only switch to all-cores when ffmpeg is actually running, then back to single-core only.