OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Games

Mahjonng Solitaire 2.20

(1/3) > >>

lmotaku:
Is there a way to make Mahjonng Solitaire 2.20 render/play smoother over Virtualbox? I'm using 3D hardware acceleration(But I doubt that actually effects anything on the eCS 2 end).
I also am allowing 128MB out of my 2GB graphics card to be utilized. Doesn't seem to change rendering smoothness.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote from: Larry on March 18, 2013, 06:28:14 pm ---Is there a way to make Mahjonng Solitaire 2.20 render/play smoother over Virtualbox? I'm using 3D hardware acceleration(But I doubt that actually effects anything on the eCS 2 end).
I also am allowing 128MB out of my 2GB graphics card to be utilized. Doesn't seem to change rendering smoothness.

--- End quote ---

3D probably just gets ignored, but it may actually slow it down. I think that OS/2 only uses 32 meg of video memory, no matter how much you assign. If you install the VBox extensions, it might work a little better. You should also adjust the Mahjonng settings. I usually turn off animation, which makes it much better, even on real hardware. Also, be sure that you assign enough memory so that the program doesn't end up swapping. That will really cause performance problems. I find that 512 meg is about the minimum that you want to use, and 800 meg is almost always good.

lmotaku:
I set 2GB ram for this guest OS. I also looked around in the settings, I pushed animation speed up to full, it seems to be a tad better, will try disabling it. This PC is AMD Phenom II 550BE, 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 ram, Ati Radeon HD 6570 2GB, so I have some memory and power to go around, provided it actually wants to use it. lol Update: It does seem to run better without animations.

I've got a lot of AMD equipment, this try-out of OS/2 will help me determine if I want to put this on an AMD Athlon XP 1.4Ghz, 756MB ram, Ati Rage 128Pro(8xAGP).

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote from: Larry on March 18, 2013, 10:21:25 pm ---I set 2GB ram for this guest OS. I also looked around in the settings, I pushed animation speed up to full, it seems to be a tad better, will try disabling it. This PC is AMD Phenom II 550BE, 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 ram, Ati Radeon HD 6570 2GB, so I have some memory and power to go around, provided it actually wants to use it. lol Update: It does seem to run better without animations.

I've got a lot of AMD equipment, this try-out of OS/2 will help me determine if I want to put this on an AMD Athlon XP 1.4Ghz, 756MB ram, Ati Rage 128Pro(8xAGP).

--- End quote ---

Actually, 1 GB of RAM is probably more than you will ever use with eCS in in VBox., but 2 GB is not a problem.

That AMD machine should work well with eCS I have a similar machine, with 448 meg, an 800 mhz Athlon, and an ATI Rage Pro video. Use SNAP with that video card, and it should run in accelerated mode. In my case, 448 meg is really not quite enough for great performance. 756 meg should be pretty good, even with animations (which, along with sound, I find to be annoying). BTW, if you haven't noticed, Mahjonng, and Klondike solitaire, might take over the sound card, blocking other sounds. It depends on exactly what sound card is emulated, and which sound driver you use.

conradc1234:
I would suggest turning off the sound in the actual game itself......am not in front of an OS/2 machine at present but am almost certain the option exists.
I remember doing it for OS/2 Solitaire (in a virtual machine) and the game was a lot more playable because it didn't have to wait for a sound to be played before it turned over every card. Hope this helps.
Conrad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version